Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Officially got accepted by LanguageCorps today to get TESOL certified in Costa Rica! That was a nice turnaround (and much faster application process!). However, there is still a good chance for Fulbright as an alternate to Panama or... an ETA in Brazil?!

Officially got accepted by LanguageCorps today to get TESOL certified in Costa Rica! That was a nice turnaround (and much faster application process!). However, there is still a good chance for Fulbright as an alternate to Panama or... an ETA in Brazil?!

Congrats man!

So...what are you going to do? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

I'll be in Santo Domingo. What's your project? I'm doing creative writing.

Wow creative writing? That's so interesting! What specifically are you planning on doing? I'm in public health, planning to look at maternal-child health outcomes in severely marginalized women (sex workers and HIV+ mothers).

Officially got accepted by LanguageCorps today to get TESOL certified in Costa Rica! That was a nice turnaround (and much faster application process!). However, there is still a good chance

for Fulbright as an alternate to Panama or... an ETA in Brazil?!

That's awesome! Costa Rica is really cool! I lived in San Jose from 2005-2006 and had a really great experience. You're going to love it.

I'll be in Santo Domingo. What's your project? I'm doing creative writing.

I applied for creative writing too!  I was wondering if there were any other fine arts people on here.  I'm still waiting to hear back from Switzerland, though.  So no clue if I'll actually get to pursue my project.

At this point, I think anyone still waiting should automatically be accepted.  You know, as a reward for our patience.

Awesome!! Good to hear you have so many options!

I applied for creative writing too!  I was wondering if there were any other fine arts people on here.  I'm still waiting to hear back from Switzerland, though.  So no clue if I'll actually get to pursue my project.

At this point, I think anyone still waiting should automatically be accepted.  You know, as a reward for our patience.

It's the least they can do! ^_^

So...what are you going to do? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

The TESOL stuff is pretty much official, as long as I'm willing to commit. Fulbright, however, makes it nice and interesting. Seven minutes after the alternate email for Panama, the region director sent a follow-up email about another opportunity... and then this little jewel popped up:

"We are writing to let you know of a special Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship opportunity.  The Fulbright Commission in Brazil and the Ministry of Education are partners in expanding the ETA program for the academic year beginning March 2014, adding 90 new grants to the current 30 placements.

The program intends to assign at least two Fulbright ETAs to the English language training center at the 59 federal universities throughout the country. Each training center will have two faculty members as coordinators and ten teaching assistants--two Fulbright ETAs and eight Brazilian English language graduate students. These teams will work together to provide support in the teaching of English to university’s students.

As an alternate for Panama you are well qualified for this grant program.   Therefore, we would like you to consider applying for this exciting opportunity, which is being offered to a limited number of 2013-14 students who applied for ETA grants to countries in the Western Hemisphere Region."

As a result, I'm editing my official Statement of Interest for Brazil. Nothing's guaranteed, but hey, World Cup 2014 anybody?! :)

The TESOL stuff is pretty much official, as long as I'm willing to commit. Fulbright, however, makes it nice and interesting. Seven minutes after the alternate email for Panama, the regional director sent a follow-up email about another opportunity... and then this little jewel popped up:

"We are writing to let you know of a special Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship opportunity. The Fulbright Commission in Brazil and the Ministry of Education are partners in expanding the ETA program for the academic year beginning March 2014, adding 90 new grants to the current 30 placements.

The program intends to assign at least two Fulbright ETAs to the English language training center at the 59 federal universities throughout the country. Each training center will have two faculty members as coordinators and ten

teaching assistants--two Fulbright ETAs and eight Brazilian English language graduate students. These teams will work together to provide support in the teaching of English to university’s students.

As an alternate for Panama you are well qualified for this grant program. Therefore, we would like you to consider applying for this exciting opportunity, which is being offered to a limited number of 2013-14 students who applied for ETA grants to countries in the Western Hemisphere Region."

As a result, I'm editing my official Statement of Interest for Brazil. Nothing's guaranteed, but hey, World Cup 2014 anybody?! :)

That is such great news!!!! They're adding that many spots? And it sounds like you get preference as an alternate... Awesome!!!

That is such great news!!!! They're adding that many spots? And it sounds like you get preference as an alternate... Awesome!!!

Thanks! It sounds like an amazing opportunity. I just hope I don't become an alternate to ANOTHER country ;) 

Morocco people - any news on where you will be going? should we make a group so we can let each other know? weeeeee.

I would love to have one.  I'm a research grant recipient, but I would love to crash the ETA's party!  mind if I tag along?

Congrats to everyone who has heard this week, whatever the news.  At least now we can begin to make more definitive plans and move forward with our lives.  And always remember that we *do* have important things to do with our lives, even if Fulbright doesn't seem to think so (this year).

Hang in there, Middle East applicants!  Those emails are coming; I can feel it!

I would love to have one.  I'm a research grant recipient, but I would love to crash the ETA's party!  mind if I tag along?

Congrats to everyone who has heard this week, whatever the news.  At least now we can begin to make more definitive plans and move forward with our lives.  And always remember that we *do* have important things to do with our lives, even if Fulbright doesn't seem to think so (this year).

Hang in there, Middle East applicants!  Those emails are coming; I can feel it!

You're welcome to crash :D I'm going to add you.  Wewt!

I gotta hand it to you folks, I think I would have committed a crime by now, if I were still waiting. This is really getting crazy!!

When I applied, I never thought I would still be waiting in May.  Never in a million years.  I'm surprised that I haven't ripped all my hair out yet.  This wait effects even the smallest of decisions.  Like, this morning, my fiance was talking about wanting to buy a new bike.  But then, "If we go to Switzerland, then I won't be able to take it."  ARGH!  I hate being in limbo.

So for anyone who is still lurking, for those of us who are in similar regions of the world, I was thinking it might be cool to do a Fulbright couch surfing type deal. That way we could do more traveling. Say I want to go to Latvia and someone in Latvia wants to go to Germany, maybe we could put each other up for a  few days? Maybe people already do that already and I'm clueless. But it seems like an awesome way to get to know more Fulbrighters that we might not get the chance to ever meet, other than messaging on this board. It's also probably a bit premature and would depend a lot upon what type of housing we all find, but it's something to think about :P I personally would feel better couch surfing at another Fulbrighter's place than finding a random couch surf on the net. Seems like it would be a lot more hospitable than a Hostel, too.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

When I applied, I never thought I would still be waiting in May.  Never in a million years.  I'm surprised that I haven't ripped all my hair out yet.  This wait effects even the smallest of decisions.  Like, this morning, my fiance was talking about wanting to buy a new bike.  But then, "If we go to Switzerland, then I won't be able to take it."  ARGH!  I hate being in limbo.

Argh, I know exactly what you mean. It really puts everything on hold.

Speaking of bikes, my little brother has been trying to convince me to ship my road bike to Germany with me. He is a hardcore biker, and got me into it, which is why he is trying to convince me. I think I finally convinced him it was not a good idea when I told him how difficult it can be manovering around airports and trainstations with a big, bulky suitcase.

I have to admit, it would be cool, but I think just buying a used bike somewhere would be a much better option. :/