Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Thanks Crystal.  Rooting for everyone!  Used up as much karma as I needed, I'm sending whatever I have left to this board.

I will gladly accept this karma. ;)

Congrats!! I'm lovin' seeing all the other alternates getting promoted.

It really is good to see alternates getting bumped.

Quick question? Anyone know what happens to the alternates? what are the chances the alternates get selected? or is it a lost cause? any feeback or stories heard.

thanks

There's no way to find out what your chances are, but alternates DO get bumped up. They are getting bumped up as we speak! I was promoted from alternate status, along with at least one other Germany ETA, about a week after the deadline to accept the grant for those accepted. I'm assuming a few people rejected the grant once the deadline came and it took them a week to process the paperwork. The other stories around the board seem to involve individual countries getting more funding. And Brazil recently added 90 new ETAships, for which both Brazil alternates and other western hemisphere alternates are eligible to apply. Beyond all that, there's also a chance that at some random point, someone will drop out for whatever reason. But sadly, it's still pretty much a crapshoot. If I were you, I'd stay on the alternate list and try to make other plans.

UPGRADED FROM ALTERNATE TO FULL TO JAPAN!  THEY GOT MORE MONEY!  THANKS MIMS FOR KIND WORDS!!!

Fantastic!!!! Many congrats!! See you in Tokyo? It turns out that my husband wouldn't be able to come with me to Japan afterall so I had to give back the money they gave me for dependent support, I hope that had something to do with it :lol:

Quick question? Anyone know what happens to the alternates? what are the chances the alternates get selected? or is it a lost cause? any feeback or stories heard.

thanks

We have seen a lot of alternates get bumped on on this forum!  It seems recently like more funding has opened up in different areas, so alternates are benefiting from that.  Good luck!!

Fantastic!!!! Many congrats!! See you in Tokyo? It turns out that my husband wouldn't be able to come with me to Japan afterall so I had to give back the money they gave me for dependent support, I hope that had something to do with it :lol:

My wife is gonna join me.  I feel bad for her cause she has to give up her job.  She wants to move back to Japan though.  I didn't ask for dependent support at first, so I have to do it now.

We have seen a lot of alternates get bumped on on this forum!  It seems recently like more funding has opened up in different areas, so alternates are benefiting from that.  Good luck!!

It's true. I think the larger programs have a better shot. Small programs like the one I applied for, not so much. But, I would hang in there. :)

thanks

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the worst. Don't even try hoping for the best. Heck, I'm still in disbelief that I got promoted from alternate, that's how hopeless I was before yesterday afternoon. And then freak out and celebrate if your fears were wrong. It is a roll of the dice whether or not the country you applied to found additional funding, so try not to worry about what your chances are and focus on finding another meaningful project to pursue next year. 

Thanks everyone for the congrats!  (Also, my sister had a baby last night, so this is a big week for our family!)  I'm super excited about Fulbright (so long as I end up getting it officially) but sad to miss out on the first year of my niece's life.

I said conditional acceptance because there are some issues with my affiliate institution and some bureaucratic things to work out first.  As long as those things get sorted out, I believe I will have the official acceptance.  And yes, I will be in Muscat!

CrystalDee, I am still rooting for you!  I can't think of anyone else on this forum who is more deserving!  Keeping my fingers crossed for you :-) 

Edited by MuscaTiger

Thanks everyone for the congrats!  (Also, my sister had a baby last night, so this is a big week for our family!)  I'm super excited about Fulbright (so long as I end up getting it officially) but sad to miss out on the first year of my niece's life.

I said conditional acceptance because there are some issues with my affiliate institution and some bureaucratic things to work out first.  As long as those things get sorted out, I believe I will have the official acceptance.  And yes, I will be in Muscat!

CrystalDee, I am still rooting for you!  I can't think of anyone else on this forum who is more deserving!  Keeping my fingers crossed for you :-) 

Wow! What a blessed week! I am so happy for you. I pray everything works out smoothy. Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Thanks for the good wishes!

It's been a good day for alternates!

And I am working on my plans for my trip to Estonia in 3 weeks. I am teaching music to kids at a day camp in Tallinn. I am excited!

That sounds awesome!  I have never been to Estonia, but all of your Estonia love has made me curious.  I googled it the other day and it looks beautiful!!

That sounds awesome!  I have never been to Estonia, but all of your Estonia love has made me curious.  I googled it the other day and it looks beautiful!!

Oh, it really is lovely! Summers are warm and nice; and there is this mix of modern and ancient architecture. And it's only like 80 miles from Helsinki!

I love it there! It feels much more like home to me than Oklahoma. Lol!!

Oh, it really is lovely! Summers are warm and nice; and there is this mix of modern and ancient architecture. And it's only like 80 miles from Helsinki!

It's funny how a place can do that to you!  I visited Montreal a few years back and just felt so at home—like it was my destiny to be there.  I don't have plans to settle there any time soon, but I would love to end up back there eventually!

My Dad lives in Australia, and my favorite aunt lived pretty much all over the world (before she passed away); so living abroad is in my DNA. I have 2 mission trips already set up for this summer. Since the Fulbright didn't go through, I am going to hang out there as much as I can.

It's funny how a place can do that to you!  I visited Montreal a few years back and just felt so at home—like it was my destiny to be there.  I don't have plans to settle there any time soon, but I would love to end up back there eventually!

It is weird how a place can do that to you. I fell in love with the Blue Ridge Mountain areas of the Carolinas, I'd love to live there some day. Unfortunately my political and social values don't fit in too well in that area, though, so that makes it a bit uncomfortable.

It is weird how a place can do that to you. I fell in love with the Blue Ridge Mountain areas of the Carolinas, I'd love to live there some day. Unfortunately my political and social values don't fit in too well in that area, though, so that makes it a bit uncomfortable.

You shouldn't let that dissuade you! If politically-similar minds all move to the same areas (as is the trend in recent years), America is going to continue to become more and more politically and socially polarized. I'm of the opinion that we're already too polarized, so this is a dangerous proposition. 

I always joke, I am a Democrat in a Republican state; and a missionary in the most secular country in the world. I like pushing rocks uphill apparently.

You shouldn't let that dissuade you! If politically-similar minds all move to the same areas (as is the trend in recent years), America is going to continue to become more and more politically and socially polarized. I'm of the opinion that we're already too polarized, so this is a dangerous proposition. 

That's true! If I make it back there again someday, I probably would get over it. Just didn't work out in the long term, last time.

And let's face it, can't be THAT much worse than the Midwest, can it?

I have no doubt, CrystalDee, that your commitment to and passion for this place will bring you back again and again.  Fulbright be damned, you're going to do what you set out to.  I believe that.

After my first summer in Fes, I knew it had become a part of my soul.  It's weird, really, but that's how it is.  I simply love it.