Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I guess I thought it was funny (well, it is), but the uncomfortable looks on their faces told me that maybe that was sharing a bit much with people I had jut met. For the rest of the trip, my cousin and my uncle kept teasing me that they were going to have to "hold me back" from new people because I would scare them off by telling them I was wearing men's  underwear.....

Lol!  I bet they still talk about that.  Like, they are just sitting around: "Hey, remember when we met that girl who wears her uncle's underwear???"  :lol:

I'm in Chicago too. It would be awesome to meet with a group of Fulbright applicants in the area. I'd love to hear about other projects, and also take my mind off of waiting.

Oh cool!  Two Swiss applicants in Chicago!  Where are you?  I'm getting my MA at Northwestern, but I live in the Ravenswood neighborhood.

Oh cool!  Two Swiss applicants in Chicago!  Where are you?  I'm getting my MA at Northwestern, but I live in the Ravenswood neighborhood.

I went to IIT for my Master's. I live in the Bridgeport neighborhood.

Oh man - I'm vegetarian too... I may have to start eating meat during my trip because there is very little Dominican food that doesn't contain meat or fish. Plus, I don't want to be the high maintenance a-hole who refusues everyone's cooking. I feel like it would be different being vegetarian in Europe because there's likely more people who don't eat meat and therefore you wouldn't come off as being offensive when you tell people you can't eat certain things. In the DR people just think you're crazy and/or a weirdo!

Ahh, the joys of international travel! I started smoking again when I was in China, because it was one of the main forms of hospitality offered to me by... everyone. I knew enough Chinese to say I don't smoke, but not enough to say "No, seriously. I'm not saying that because I'm being polite. I'm saying that because I don't smoke."

Ahh, the joys of international travel! I started smoking again when I was in China, because it was one of the main forms of hospitality offered to me by... everyone. I knew enough Chinese to say I don't smoke, but not enough to say "No, seriously. I'm not saying that because I'm being polite. I'm saying that because I don't smoke."

Is there any way to get around that?

How does one really push the non smoking thing?

Do they have electronic cigarettes in China? Would that be the more polite way of saving face?

Long time lurker here! I want to first say that through my trolling I've concluded that this is actually the nicest group of strangers I think I've ever seen interact with each other. Especially online where I feel like all the anonymous jerks usually come out. Clearly Fulbright picked their finalists well! That being said, someone seriously needs to sit the person down who didn't flat out accept CrystalDee and give him or her a serious talking to. 

Now, all cheesy stuff aside, has anyone heard anything new from USTA Austria? I'm an alternate and trying to decide what to do since sitting on my hands and playing the what-if game is driving me nuts. Also, for any past Austrian USTA alternates (for any award, really), is it at all helpful to email Jurgen and ask about position on the waiting list or reaffirm interest? Thank you in advance for any and all help! 

Edited by sophiakk

After the initial feelings of shock and awe, did anyone get into a place of fear? I had such awkward moments of wondering if this is for me, then thought of how much we've all scratched and clawed to get to even where we are. 

Yesterday was the last day of foolishness. I'm letting everyone know I'm accepting and it's now full steam ahead. 

FULBRIGHT BRAZIL TEACHING ASSISTANTSHIP NEWS for rejectees

Did anyone who got rejected the first time around receive an email that they have added 90 grants and that because you got a most favorable rating by the committee the first time around that they are considering them for the new grants and will let me know by end of June?!!!!!

I did...I don't want to get rejected again!!! Praise God and PRAY FOR ME YALL!

Did anyone who got rejected the first time around receive an email that they have added 90 grants and that because you got a most favorable rating by the committee the first time around that they are considering them for the new grants and will let me know by end of June?!!!!!

That is AWESOME!! Good luck!!!

Long time lurker here! I want to first say that through my trolling I've concluded that this is actually the nicest group of strangers I think I've ever seen interact with each other. Especially online where I feel like all the anonymous jerks usually come out. Clearly Fulbright picked their finalists well! That being said, someone seriously needs to sit the person down who didn't flat out accept CrystalDee and give him or her a serious talking to. 

Now, all cheesy stuff aside, has anyone heard anything new from USTA Austria? I'm an alternate and trying to decide what to do since sitting on my hands and playing the what-if game is driving me nuts. Also, for any past Austrian USTA alternates (for any award, really), is it at all helpful to email Jurgen and ask about position on the waiting list or reaffirm interest? Thank you in advance for any and all help! 

Ha! I know. I browse Reddit a lot, which is full of critics, so I often had to remind myself I'm not there! Everyone here has been ridiculously nice :)

I second the motion on not accepting CrystalDee... I still have hope for yer yet, though. Why they didn't accept her is insane.

I haven't heard anything about Austria. I'll be in Germany, though, if you make it to Austria, be sure to look me up if you feel like hopping over!

Anyone actually seeing my posts? :)

I haven't been ignoring you; I just don't have any answers.  I am STILL waiting to find out if I even got it, so I don't know about the next steps.  Do you have an advisor or someone who might know more?

Ha! I know. I browse Reddit a lot, which is full of critics, so I often had to remind myself I'm not there! Everyone here has been ridiculously nice :)

I second the motion on not accepting CrystalDee... I still have hope for yer yet, though. Why they didn't accept her is insane.

I haven't heard anything about Austria. I'll be in Germany, though, if you make it to Austria, be sure to look me up if you feel like hopping over!

Thank you so much!! Y'all are so sweet! This really is a great group. I am just sad that I won't be able to be in on the Facebook groups. Sorry I wasn't around yesterday, my son celebrated his 21st birthday. So crazy!! Did our Middle East folks hear anything yesterday?

You guys have all been a blessing to me through this process. It would have been much more difficult waiting had I not had you guys to commiserate with each day. So, thank you!!

Haven't posted much here recently, but I have been checking in intermittently. Three thoughts:

1) I think it's WAY cool that they've added those 90 additional Brazilian grants -- fingers crossed for all you Latin American applicants getting a second shot!!!

2) The fact that some people are STILL waiting is absolutely absurd, and kind of pisses me off. I want to be kind and give people the benefit of the doubt that somewhere, someone is doing their best to get things turned around, but it is just so cruel to expect people to keep their lives on hold for this long, and it especially seems like it would be to the detriment of people who don't have the luxury of waiting around because need to make post-graduate plans ASAP. It's punishing people who need to know if they should accept that job offer or that graduate school position and possibly forcing them to make a decision that will harm their future prospects in these two areas, if they are forced to reneg on an agreement at the last moment. It seems somewhat ungrateful to criticize Fulbright, since hopefully in the end they'll be funding your fabulous year abroad, but at the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect final results to come in within four months of being submitted to the individual country's committee. I don't know. It just angers me because it seems very callous.

3) Truly happy for all those that made it in the last few weeks, and my heart goes out to alternates and those who were not selected. I firmly, firmly believe that these things happen for reasons and that if this is the path that is meant for you, something else will come your way. Keep your heads up and don't lose sight of your goals.

Edited by Torrid

After the initial feelings of shock and awe, did anyone get into a place of fear? I had such awkward moments of wondering if this is for me, then thought of how much we've all scratched and clawed to get to even where we are. 

Yesterday was the last day of foolishness. I'm letting everyone know I'm accepting and it's now full steam ahead. 

I am in the fear stage. I think that it is because I have not have the opportunity to travel abroad, and I am rather shy. My academic advisor keeps telling me that a Fulbright will "change you in wonderful ways" and to just go with the flow.  I'm hoping that these new experiences will help me become more confident in my research! Just think about it--working with researchers in an international scale! So scary, but so exciting! What scares you right now?

2) The fact that some people are STILL waiting is absolutely absurd, and kind of pisses me off. I want to be kind and give people the benefit of the doubt that somewhere, someone is doing their best to get things turned around, but it is just so cruel to expect people to keep their lives on hold for this long, and it especially seems like it would be to the detriment of people who don't have the luxury of waiting around because need to make post-graduate plans ASAP. It's punishing people who need to know if they should accept that job offer or that graduate school position and possibly forcing them to make a decision that will harm their future prospects in these two areas, if they are forced to reneg on an agreement at the last moment. It seems somewhat ungrateful to criticize Fulbright, since hopefully in the end they'll be funding your fabulous year abroad, but at the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect final results to come in within four months of being submitted to the individual country's committee. I don't know. It just angers me because it seems very callous.

Yeah and I'm worried that I will wait until the end of May only to be rejected.  I keep telling myself that the wait is worth it, but what if it isn't?  What if I put everything on hold and it doesn't even work out?  Even being named an alternate and having to wait even longer sounds awful at this point.

Yeah and I'm worried that I will wait until the end of May only to be rejected.  I keep telling myself that the wait is worth it, but what if it isn't?  What if I put everything on hold and it doesn't even work out?  Even being named an alternate and having to wait even longer sounds awful at this point.

3) Truly happy for all those that made it in the last few weeks, and my heart goes out to alternates and those who were not selected. I firmly, firmly believe that these things happen for reasons and that if this is the path that is meant for you, something else will come your way. Keep your heads up and don't lose sight of your goals.

I was thinking about some things this morning in regards to the process. I wish they (IIE) would do a couple of things: First, send out an exit survey about the process. Not a survey about the wait time, but about how the information could be explained better on the website. Secondly, do continued-ed training for the advisors on campus. I wish my advisor had been able to explain the budget portion of the application better. Especially since budgets played a much bigger role than anyone could have guessed this year.

I am still hopeful something else will come along. I sent emails to my host university and have heard nothing back. I am trying not to read anything into it.

Alternates for ETA positions in the western hemisphere got them as well. Were you rejected in the final decision or in the recommendation in January? I'm trying to get a feel for how many people are applying... haha. Best of luck! Hopefully we'll both end up happily on the other side of the world soon :)

Did anyone who got rejected the first time around receive an email that they have added

90 grants and that because you got a most favorable rating by the committee the first time around that they are considering them for the new grants and will let me know by end of June?!!!!!

Done :-)

The deadline for accepting the position or not (for the people initially offered a position) was a few weeks ago. I don't know for sure, but I would guess most positions have been reassigned, so if you have not heard anything by this point, it's probably a no. However, I have heard from past TAs that if you don't hear by June, you probably aren't going.

However, I would encourage you to reapply if you aren't offered a position. I applied three times for the Austrian USTA. Rejected outright the first time, alternate the next time, but never was offered anything, and accepted my third time. I would say, if you are an alternate this year, your chances are pretty high to be accepted next year!