Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

ALTERNATE TO ACCEPTED!!!! Funding opened up and I'm headed to Vietnam!

Congratulations!!!

I stopped reading this forum after I received alternate status for a Taiwan ETA because I was heartbroken.  I decided I should just tell myself I was rejected because the thought of more waiting made me feel sick.  I started applying for teaching jobs stateside, which has turned into another waiting game because current teachers are interviewed for openings first and newbies won't be contacted until after those positions are filled... which will be June or July! Since I'm stuck waiting for news again, I revisited this forum the other day.  I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I am surprised at the funding that is opening up in different countries.  I would much rather have the experience of teaching in Taiwan before I begin my career stateside.   I'm going to start offering sacrifices and saying prayers to the Fulbright gods for some extra funding for a Taiwan ETA slot for me (can't hurt, right?)!!

My thoughts are with all of you still anxiously waiting for news.

I secretly wanted to, haha.

Drinking culture in China is the opposite to what I'm accustomed to in the States. The drinking age in China is 18 but kids just... don't really drink. Not a lot of them. Definitely not any parties on the college campus where I was, beyond the occasional "let's hang out on the quad and eat snacks and drink soda" kind of party. When I did see people drinking, they were adults, and more often than not elderly. But even that wasn't super widespread.

But then, a couple times of year, my workplace (a university) had banquets where all the administrators and teachers got together. Some of the most formal people I've ever met. And they all just got trashed. Most of the time, Chinese people drink by taking shots, no matter the alcohol. Traditionally it's hard liquor called "bai jiu," infamously translated as "white wine," even though it's actually 55% grain liquor that tastes like death. But they also take shots of beer. I was lucky because my school was trying to "westernize," which meant in addition to the death liquor, people were also taking shots of expensive red wine, which is a lot more manageable. But I would still get the president of college and chairman of the board of trustees walking up to me several times during these banquets and toasting me with bai jiu. And in turn, I'd sneak up on the table where all the higher ups are sitting and toast all of them.

On Chinese New Year, after one such banquet, I was invited by one of the administrators to go sing karaoke with all the higher ups. They brought more bai jiu and some pretty expensive bottles of whiskey. We sang Backstreet Boys and some traditional Chinese music. By 10 o' clock, the official photographer had passed out on the couch, so... and I hesitate to mention this, I'm so embarrassed .. my friends and I took his camera and took pictures of me sitting next to him pretending like I was licking his face. While this was happening, I heard this high pitched giggle coming from next to me, and I turned and it was my immediate supervisor, a dour 50-year old Chinese woman in charge of the international office. And she was laughing so hard she was crying.

When I woke up the next morning, I was certain I was going to be fired. Deported. I'd never been more embarrassed in my life. But I went into the office and everything was fine and no one ever made mention of that night again. I later learned that in China, being drunk is an acceptable excuse, for the most part, for inappropriate behavior. If you do something that offends someone, you can say "Oh sorry, I was drunk" and that's fine.

So strange. When I had two beers at a bar on a Friday night, I'd have students walk up to me and ask "are you okay? why are you drinking so much?" But then apparently getting blackout drunk with your boss at an official function is okay. 

Sorry for clogging the board with stories of China. Congratulations to moregraceful (and hopefully other Vietnam alternates?) for getting the grant!

This story is AWESOME!! I hope everyone with a Fulbright comes back with a story of similar humor.

Congratulations!!!

I stopped reading this forum after I received alternate status for a Taiwan ETA because I was heartbroken.  I decided I should just tell myself I was rejected because the thought of more waiting made me feel sick.  I started applying for teaching jobs stateside, which has turned into another waiting game because current teachers are interviewed for openings first and newbies won't be contacted until after those positions are filled... which will be June or July! Since I'm stuck waiting for news again, I revisited this forum the other day.  I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I am surprised at the funding that is opening up in different countries.  I would much rather have the experience of teaching in Taiwan before I begin my career stateside.   I'm going to start offering sacrifices and saying prayers to the Fulbright gods for some extra funding for a Taiwan ETA slot for me (can't hurt, right?)!!

You should offer libations to the Fulbright gods in the hope that funding will fall from the sky and into your lap! And by libations, I mean alcohol :)

In all seriousness, I feel like being promoted from alternate to a full grant is just a matter of utter luck. I was told that Vietnam had more money in their coffers for applicants, and so +/- 5 more alternates will be offered grants. I really hope Taiwan pulls through for you! It's just luck whether or not they have extra money for more applicants, or whether another applicant will drop out of the program, or whether someone's health is so bad that the State Dept does not approve them. Best of luck to you though, no matter what path you go down! I know going through the job search is a tough gig (hell, I'll be doing it next year...), but I hope something you love pulls through for you. 

Are Luxembourg and Switzerland the only two Western European countries left waiting to hear?

No, I'm waiting for Malta.

Is there any way to get around that?   How does one really push the non smoking thing? Do they have electronic cigarettes in China? Would that be the more polite way of saving face?
If you legitimately don't smoke, never smoke, and never ever accept a cigarette then you're fine and people will respect that (though you'll want other nice stuff to exchange with bosses and higher-ups like tea, sweets). But with smoking it's pretty much all or nothing. Only having one or two after a meal or while drinking is not an acceptable excuse.

You should offer libations to the Fulbright gods in the hope that funding will fall from the sky and into your lap! And by libations, I mean alcohol :)

In all seriousness, I feel like being promoted from alternate to a full grant is just a matter of utter luck. I was told that Vietnam had more money in their coffers for applicants, and so +/- 5 more alternates will be offered grants. I really hope Taiwan pulls through for you! It's just luck whether or not they have extra money for more applicants, or whether another applicant will drop out of the program, or whether someone's health is so bad that the State Dept does not approve them. Best of luck to you though, no matter what path you go down! I know going through the job search is a tough gig (hell, I'll be doing it next year...), but I hope something you love pulls through for you. 

Congratulations!!!

You could also hope that someone who was offered a grant commits a felony or doesn't graduate... 

But I suppose hoping for money is probably a nicer thing to do... :P

Even though the deadline is just 11 days away, I'm starting to give up hope!

Deadline for what?  Are they required to announce before a certain date?

Did you accept yet?

I think I did...I mean I'm not sure what I really need to do to officially accept, the email just said let us know as soon as possible if you won't be doing it, and I already sent in my consent form, but I haven't heard anything back about that, and then I've gotten a few more emails of information, but all of them just say you'll be getting more info in the mail...

UPGRADED FROM ALTERNATE TO FULL TO JAPAN!  THEY GOT MORE MONEY!  THANKS MIMS FOR KIND WORDS!!!

That's wonderful!! I am so glad there are folks getting bumped. Good luck on your adventure! :D