Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Thank you! This was sort of my one shot. I'm kinda old, so I think that works against me. It will be okay.

I have got to stop crying. There are a half a dozen Estonians waiting to see me tonight.

From your energy and picture I can't imagine you're older than I am and I'm 36.

It's not over... your journey isn't over. An alternative isn't a flat refusal. 

From your energy and picture I can't imagine you're older than I am and I'm 36.

It's not over... your journey isn't over. An alternative isn't a flat refusal.

Bless you! I am 40 actually. My oldest son is turning 21 next week. I am trying to see the bright side and hope for the best.

Hey...Congratulations to all my awesome friends that DID make it today! That is something to celebrate! :)

Thank you! This was sort of my one shot. I'm kinda old, so I think that works against me. It will be okay.

I have got to stop crying. There are a half a dozen Estonians waiting to see me tonight.

I haven't been so vocal here, but I was really rooting for you too. If it's something you really want, you'll find a way to get to Estonia no matter what. There's always more than one shot and more than one way to skin a cat :) Even though I'm sure it doesn't seem like that now...

Who knows what/if/how decisions are politically motivated when it comes to these things...anyway, you will find a way!

Bless you! I am 40 actually. My oldest son is turning 21 next week. I am trying to see the bright side and hope for the best.

Hey...Congratulations to all my awesome friends that DID make it today! That is something to celebrate! :)

Blech... I applied to PhD programs for 10 years before I got in.  I started my first MA program 7 years ago when I was 30; I started my PhD program 3 years ago; I won't finish said program until I'm over 40; I lived abroad for the first time studying Arabic 2 summers ago (yep, I was 35).  There's no such thing as too old!  Never give up hope!

K, that's my pep talk.  Tuck it away and think about it sometime after the sting has worn off a bit.

I am/was also rooting for you...in mommy solidarity. I feel like it is especially difficult to live with such uncertainty when you have children who are looking up to you and need your support/company. My kid is only 4 so it's different, I'm sure, but the image of me crying in a stairwell when I got the news (alternate) seems to be emblazened into his memory already. 

Maybe something will break through for one or both of us. I guess I prefer not to hold my breath because it has kept me from staying present and social :) Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Echoing all the good wishes for Crystal Dee. How amazing how you have gotten a board of complete anonymous strangers from all walks of life, all over the world to be rooting for you! Sending lots of positive vibes for a bump up your way.

Blech... I applied to PhD programs for 10 years before I got in. I started my first MA program 7 years ago when I was 30; I started my PhD program 3 years ago; I won't finish said program until I'm over 40; I lived abroad for the first time studying Arabic 2 summers ago (yep, I was 35). There's no such thing as too old! Never give up hope!

K, that's my pep talk. Tuck it away and think about it sometime after the sting has worn off a bit.

Thank you! I needed that. I am finding there is not enough powder to cover a red nose. But, waterproof mascara was the right choice this morning! ;)

Thank you! I needed that. I am finding there is not enough powder to cover a red nose. But, waterproof mascara was the right choice this morning! ;)

You're welcome! There's always more where that came from if and / or when you need it.  And wear that red nose with pride.  Passion for life is never a bad thing, and sometimes that passion comes back to bite you in the ass.  It's all part of living a full life, my friend.  So live on!

I got alternate guys. I need to cry for a while.

I'm so sorry. When I read this I seriously felt like I got punched in the gut. Alternate status may not be a flat out refusal, but it certainly feels like one sometimes... I feel for you and I'm sending well wishes your way. You've been an amazing cheerleader and supporter of everybody on this board; this seems unfair. I'm so so sorry.

Crystal Dee, bryan jenkins, and others marked alternate-- Coming from an "NS", it might not mean much, but I don't think you have to react as if you were rejected just yet. Alternate means just that. A friend was alternate for a similar program once, and her attitude was "Alternate means they want you, they just don't have a place for you yet". In the case of Fulbright, maybe replace "a place" with "funding", but I think her attitude in general was right.

I just really felt for you, Crystal Dee, especially when you mentioned that you are meeting with Estonians tonight. I just informed my professors (who just hours ago were expressing their high hopes for me after I passed my senior thesis defense...) about my status and it wasn't easy, but maybe everything is a learning experience and happens for a reason.

I know that NS means while I may have had the academic qualifications to pass the first round, there is something fundamentally flawed about my project that no matter how much funding, they wouldn't accept me (harsh, but true). So I need to do a lot of soul searching about where I went wrong, and possibly consulting with IIE and my contacts in China to see if we can figure out what went amiss.

But alternates, on the other hand-- you guys have done everything right! It's just several others also did everything right and it's a tight funding situation. You certainly have a chance to be upgraded this year; and even if not, you would probably be a competitive applicant next year.  I think making it to the stage of alternate is a great accomplishment and one which you should be proud of.

I am not sure if this message is helpful at all, and obviously I'm in no place to really give advice, but I felt like something should be said.
For my own sake I think I will resist checking this board for a while-- I'm still rooting for secretlyismaili and everyone else, though.
Best wishes, all.

Sorry to hear about your alternate status CrystalDee...been rooting for you. And will continue to do so! May they find the funding...for all the alternates. It's been a long and winding road.

Crystal Dee, bryan jenkins, and others marked alternate-- Coming from an "NS", it might not mean much, but I don't think you have to react as if you were rejected just yet. Alternate means just that. A friend was alternate for a similar program once, and her attitude was "Alternate means they want you, they just don't have a place for you yet". In the case of Fulbright, maybe replace "a place" with "funding", but I think her attitude in general was right. I just really felt for you, Crystal Dee, especially when you mentioned that you are meeting with Estonians tonight. I just informed my professors (who just hours ago were expressing their high hopes for me after I passed my senior thesis defense...) about my status and it wasn't easy, but maybe everything is a learning experience and happens for a reason. I know that NS means while I may have had the academic qualifications to pass the first round, there is something fundamentally flawed about my project that no matter how much funding, they wouldn't accept me (harsh, but true). So I need to do a lot of soul searching about where I went wrong, and possibly consulting with IIE and my contacts in China to see if we can figure out what went amiss. But alternates, on the other hand-- you guys have done everything right! It's just several others also did everything right and it's a tight funding situation. You certainly have a chance to be upgraded this year; and even if not, you would probably be a competitive applicant next year.  I think making it to the stage of alternate is a great accomplishment and one which you should be proud of. I am not sure if this message is helpful at all, and obviously I'm in no place to really give advice, but I felt like something should be said. For my own sake I think I will resist checking this board for a while-- I'm still rooting for secretlyismaili and everyone else, though. Best wishes, all.
Thanks for the kind words. If I might share some of my own, remember that an NS for China is determined by Chinese bureaucrats, not even professors, so I wouldn't fret too much about what it says about your project. It could have been turned down for any number of reasons, from political ones to simply that another grantee or applicant had a similar idea or for something even more nonsensical. And if I can judge from any of my experiences with paper-pushers on any continent, there's not always a lot of logic going on there. Finding a professor willing to support your proposal alone reflects much more highly on you than any bureaucratic decision. In my case, my proposal was one that actually reflects rather well on the Party and I'm sure that had much more to do with my alternate status than its academic merit. Of course, none of this means that getting NS or alternate doesn't suck--it surely does--but it says a lot more about the people making the decision than it does you.. In other news, it's goddamned freezing in Texas in May and crystaldee was waitlisted... What the hell is going wrong with the world?

I fell off my bed.

I'm a small-town Ohio kid who has never left the country....but....I'M GOING TO CHINA!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE HERE FOR SUPPORT DURING THE LAST FEW DAYS. I NEVER thought this would happen.

Congrats to all who heard today - there's just a handful of us left now. Hopefully tomorrow will be another flood of notifications...
There's reason to be hopeful. My letter began, "We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year.  Therefore, we want you to know the status of your candidacy for a Fulbright award for 2013-2014 to China." So maybe there's been some inter-iie pressure to get the ball rolling.

I fell off my bed.

I'm a small-town Ohio kid who has never left the country....but....I'M GOING TO CHINA!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE HERE FOR SUPPORT DURING THE LAST FEW DAYS. I NEVER thought this would happen.

Huzzah for the small-town kids!  Way to represent!

CrystalDee, that's really a bummer. Very sad to hear that, since we were all rooting for you and you obviously have an attitude that would make you an excellent Fulbrighter. I really hoppe you get bumped up. bryan jenkins and lls11, that sucks. But I hope we all bounce back and can not let our confidence in ourselves be shaken.

It was an exciting and busy day on campus - class, frantic translation and editing, long discussions with professors about my research project and possible leads to track down, all on a blustery Chicago day. I finally got a chance to check my mail to be greeted with a big, fat NS. Didn't make it, guys. I'm bummed out about it, and of course I'll always wonder what I would've done in China, but I'm just going to keep on truckin', apply again, and try to see the silver lining in the fact that I won't have to be away from my wife for a year. 

Thanks everyone for being such great comrades in this process. It's really great to have you smart, interesting, compassionate people to connect with here.

I am/was also rooting for you...in mommy solidarity. I feel like it is especially difficult to live with such uncertainty when you have children who are looking up to you and need your support/company. My kid is only 4 so it's different, I'm sure, but the image of me crying in a stairwell when I got the news (alternate) seems to be emblazened into his memory already. 

Maybe something will break through for one or both of us. I guess I prefer not to hold my breath because it has kept me from staying present and social :) Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

CrystalDee, I totally echo Mumstheword here, I came on specifically today to see if you got it! Crazy, I know, but I also think dealing with this uncertainty and pushing yourself to apply to begin with, while trying to maintain your role as a competent mom is rough, and not for the faint of heart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you, I personally know someone who went from alternate to getting it, so from my perspective it seems quite likely.

CrystalDee, that's really a bummer. Very sad to hear that, since we were all rooting for you and you obviously have an attitude that would make you an excellent Fulbrighter. I really hoppe you get bumped up. bryan jenkins and lls11, that sucks. But I hope we all bounce back and can not let our confidence in ourselves be shaken.

It was an exciting and busy day on campus - class, frantic translation and editing, long discussions with professors about my research project and possible leads to track down, all on a blustery Chicago day. I finally got a chance to check my mail to be greeted with a big, fat NS. Didn't make it, guys. I'm bummed out about it, and of course I'll always wonder what I would've done in China, but I'm just going to keep on truckin', apply again, and try to see the silver lining in the fact that I won't have to be away from my wife for a year. 

Thanks everyone for being such great comrades in this process. It's really great to have you smart, interesting, compassionate people to connect with here.

Inshallah next time around... and humdillah for your presence here.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I fell off my bed.

True story:

I fell off my bed too.

Congrats. See you in DC.

CrystalDee, that's really a bummer. Very sad to hear that, since we were all rooting for you and you obviously have an attitude that would make you an excellent Fulbrighter. I really hoppe you get bumped up. bryan jenkins and lls11, that sucks. But I hope we all bounce back and can not let our confidence in ourselves be shaken.   It was an exciting and busy day on campus - class, frantic translation and editing, long discussions with professors about my research project and possible leads to track down, all on a blustery Chicago day. I finally got a chance to check my mail to be greeted with a big, fat NS. Didn't make it, guys. I'm bummed out about it, and of course I'll always wonder what I would've done in China, but I'm just going to keep on truckin', apply again, and try to see the silver lining in the fact that I won't have to be away from my wife for a year.    Thanks everyone for being such great comrades in this process. It's really great to have you smart, interesting, compassionate people to connect with here.
Oh, man. What the fuck, Fulbright?! So sorry to hear the news. But maybe you are meant to spend the year with your wife . Also, I keep forgetting you are in Chicago too. What is with this crazy weather?!

To Crystaldee: hang in there, sweetheart!  If it really is meant for you, I'm sure you'll get an email pretty soon saying how much they'd love to have you :)

To everyone still waiting: We're almost there! I can feel it!