Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

This ETA acceptance email arrived a few minutes ago:

"Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a Fulbright U.S. Student award for 2013-2014 to Turkey."

EDIT: That original post seemed so emotionally detached. Believe me, though, I am freaking out in my own way!

WOOT WOOT! AWESOME! CONGRATS!!!

Thanks for the update, Reb.

Also: "There's a signpost up ahead"? Uh... what? Like, dude, if you don't know anything and have nothing substantial to say, don't be all coy about it.

I really don't understand how everyone seems to be in the dark on this - or, at least, MACACE and the ME/NA program manager are, which seems like a pretty substantial lack of organization and communication.

The sign says "No passing for 20 miles".

I don't know.

Thanks for the update, Reb.

Also: "There's a signpost up ahead"? Uh... what? Like, dude, if you don't know anything and have nothing substantial to say, don't be all coy about it.

I really don't understand how everyone seems to be in the dark on this - or, at least, MACACE and the ME/NA program manager are, which seems like a pretty substantial lack of organization and communication.

Ya, I certainly muttered a few words when I read the email.  And that was literally all it said.  I mean, really?

Ya, I certainly muttered a few words when I read the email.  And that was literally all it said.  I mean, really?

Seriously. That's almost hilariously cryptic.

"There is a signpost up ahead, and a cool breeze blowing from the north. I can say no more."

Seriously. That's almost hilariously cryptic.

"There is a signpost up ahead, and a cool breeze blowing from the north. I can say no more."

ha, i had the same thought. "A raven lands on the signpost. In its beak is a writhing snake. The crescent moon wreathes the read of the raven whose gaze rivets you to the ground. The snake utters words you do not understand. Know this: the omen is good."

Edited by secretlyismaili

I think I'm going to call up IIE and tell them, "Seriously, you guys. I don't think you understand the depth to which these people's suffering is reaching. Hurry up, already!!"

I guess it's not necessarily IIE's fault, but I'd have a lot of phone calls to make if I called each country..

If you don't hurry up and let them know, there aren't going to BE any Fulbright scholars, because they are all going to be in the hospital from mental breakdowns!!!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Yeah Turkey! Congrats to all who received good news and thanks for breaking the drought!

For those of you monitoring Morocco, I heard back from the head of MACECE. His message: "Just hang in there... there's a signpost up ahead." I wish he had been a tad more specific, but at this point I guess we'll take what we can get.

This is actually hilarious, I laughed when I read it. It doesn't relieve any long-term stress, but definitely will help me get through today. So funny. I bet the person receiving the email has no idea what's going on, didn't get up from the computer when the email came, and responded with the most vague and hilarious answer he or she could come up with. Perhaps not, but still so good. Anyway, kind of a sign of what is to come in Morocco, yay. :) Here's to some more waiting.

Congrats to Turkey applicants!!

I don't know if anyone knows about "Notes from the Universe," but this has helped keep me at least a bit more sane throughout undergrad... not to mention this Fulbright waiting process...

http://www.tut.com/Inspiration/nftu

The website makes it look kind of silly, but it's quite good. I got a relevant one the other day that said:

"As far as I can tell, worrying about anything at all is a pretty good indicator that one has begun thinking that their joy and prosperity will somehow hinge on pending physical events, other people, or angry green Martians.

Can you imagine?!

Phone home,
    The Universe"

Anyone have other waiting-relief techniques? Yoga? Meditation? Refreshing your email?

The instant nature of email is truly bitter sweet. Turn back the clock a couple of decades and the anxious Fulbright hopefuls waited for their notifications to come via the mail. I can see them peering out the window, or calling home after they thought that the mail had arrived; the mail arrived at a predictable hour in those days. When they raced to the mailbox, and discovered the letter had not come, they were likely to gain some level of peace, until the next day started the cycle all over again.

Today, every ping of the email sends one running to see if the notice has arrived. It is death by a thousand cuts.

So does anybody know who I would want to email about possible responses? I'm waiting for Armenia, which now is two weeks later than last year...

I don't know if anyone knows about "Notes from the Universe," but this has helped keep me at least a bit more sane throughout undergrad... not to mention this Fulbright waiting process...

http://www.tut.com/Inspiration/nftu

The website makes it look kind of silly, but it's quite good. I got a relevant one the other day that said:

"As far as I can tell, worrying about anything at all is a pretty good indicator that one has begun thinking that their joy and prosperity will somehow hinge on pending physical events, other people, or angry green Martians.

Can you imagine?!

Phone home,

The Universe"

Anyone have other waiting-relief techniques? Yoga? Meditation? Refreshing your email?

Step 1: Find a fat fluffy kitty

Step 2: Place fluffy kitty belly over face

Step 3. Snuggle*

Step 4. Enjoy!

*Abort if cat begins to scratch face

Edited by there'sanappforthat

hey all, just wanted to say that i am still lurking and hoping for you all!

also, has this been brought up yet?

not just that applications are open, but that there's already a new forum? what?

hey all, just wanted to say that i am still lurking and hoping for you all!

also, has this been brought up yet?

not just that applications are open, but that there's already a new forum? what?

They are setting themselves up for months of pain and anguish...part of me wants to tell them to not think about using the blog until September at the earliest! Heck, I'd personally stay away from it until the recommendation process at least, but that's just me...

They are setting themselves up for months of pain and anguish...part of me wants to tell them to not think about using the blog until September at the earliest! Heck, I'd personally stay away from it until the recommendation process at least, but that's just me...

I know, I found this place in january.

#endlessanxiety

NS for China. I did my best to mentally prepare myself for letdown, but it's still pretty upsetting.

The silver lining is that I can already begin next year's application now, haha. :P

Edited by lls11

I was checking to see if anyone else saw. Congrats to those who found out today!!!

RESEARCH GRANT TO CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY COW!!!! THE NSF GRFP AND NOW THE FULBRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My life has been crazy for the past 2 years. Teaching with TFA and being unemployed and poor for the past year or so. And now this.

Congrats to everyone who's found out and have been awarded... keep faith to those still waiting... and to everyone else this is just one option in a sea of a billion. Keep up the fight... and I can't wait to see your names in the world!!!

I was checking to see if anyone else saw. Congrats to those who found out today!!!

RESEARCH GRANT TO CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY COW!!!! THE NSF GRFP AND NOW THE FULBRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My life has been crazy for the past 2 years. Teaching with TFA and being unemployed and poor for the past year or so. And now this.

Congrats to everyone who's found out and have been awarded... keep faith to those still waiting... and to everyone else this is just one option in a sea of a billion. Keep up the fight... and I can't wait to see your names in the world!!!

awesome!! congrats!!!!!!!

NS for China. I did my best to mentally prepare myself for letdown, but it's still pretty upsetting.

The silver lining is that I can already begin next year's application now, haha. :P

I'm really sorry to hear that. You should definitely apply again next...er...this ..month..

Seriously though, I felt so much better about it my second time around.

Big hugs!!!!