Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Thanks for the kind words. If I might share some of my own, remember that an NS for China is determined by Chinese bureaucrats, not even professors, so I wouldn't fret too much about what it says about your project. It could have been turned down for any number of reasons, from political ones to simply that another grantee or applicant had a similar idea or for something even more nonsensical. And if I can judge from any of my experiences with paper-pushers on any continent, there's not always a lot of logic going on there. Finding a professor willing to support your proposal alone reflects much more highly on you than any bureaucratic decision. In my case, my proposal was one that actually reflects rather well on the Party and I'm sure that had much more to do with my alternate status than its academic merit. Of course, none of this means that getting NS or alternate doesn't suck--it surely does--but it says a lot more about the people making the decision than it does you.. In other news, it's goddamned freezing in Texas in May and crystaldee was waitlisted... What the hell is going wrong with the world?

Does this mean because I didn't get the Fulbright hell is freezing over? Lol!! Just sayin'!

Oh dear friends!! I am overwhelmed by the kind words from everyone! Thank you all so very much! I went to a dinner with some Estonian friends with a heavy heart. All this Fulbright stuff is convoluted so I didn't go into details with them. But, I know there is something for me there. I practiced my Estonian and got smiles all around! So all my work paid off. :) I am bummed for my friends here who got NS today. This process is grueling! Where is magic Oprah when we need her? I just can't say enough thanks to you all for all the love today. There are tears still in my eyes, but they are tears of joy. Because we have a wonderful supportive community, and that doesn't happen every day. Find me on Facebook, Crystal Cushing LaGrone or on Twitter Claglsu. I tweet the Estonian word of the day. ;) I will be around though. You can find me here!
Aw crystaldee! I hope you get promoted! In other news, since apparently norway is staying underfunded, I think I'm going to remove my name from the alternate list on Monday. Yay for actually knowing where ill be 5 months from now!

CrystalDee, that's really a bummer. Very sad to hear that, since we were all rooting for you and you obviously have an attitude that would make you an excellent Fulbrighter. I really hoppe you get bumped up. bryan jenkins and lls11, that sucks. But I hope we all bounce back and can not let our confidence in ourselves be shaken.   It was an exciting and busy day on campus - class, frantic translation and editing, long discussions with professors about my research project and possible leads to track down, all on a blustery Chicago day. I finally got a chance to check my mail to be greeted with a big, fat NS. Didn't make it, guys. I'm bummed out about it, and of course I'll always wonder what I would've done in China, but I'm just going to keep on truckin', apply again, and try to see the silver lining in the fact that I won't have to be away from my wife for a year.    Thanks everyone for being such great comrades in this process. It's really great to have you smart, interesting, compassionate people to connect with here.
That is such a bummer, I was pulling for you! Best of luck and indeed, there is always next year.

Alternate to Vietnam, found out a couple hours ago. I'm actually not too bummed about it, it just makes life a little bit harder from here on out. My email was worded SO oddly, as others have mentioned. It starts: "We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year." Is this how they usually start the alternate emails? 

To all you alternates out there: let's stay strong, hope for the best and prepare for the worst (which just means prepare our applications for next year). I'm in the same position and it was real tough for a few days, but there isn't anything you can do now but focus on the present/future.

Congratulations to all those accepted! And to the non-selected, sorry :(

Alternate to Vietnam, found out a couple hours ago. I'm actually not too bummed about it, it just makes life a little bit harder from here on out. My email was worded SO oddly, as others have mentioned. It starts: "We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year." Is this how they usually start the alternate emails? 

Yeah I thought it was weird too. I don't typically use "keen" in a negative fashion. But really I think they just want us to know that they understand it sucks being put on edge... again... indefinitely...

CrystalDee, that's really a bummer. Very sad to hear that, since we were all rooting for you and you obviously have an attitude that would make you an excellent Fulbrighter. I really hoppe you get bumped up. bryan jenkins and lls11, that sucks. But I hope we all bounce back and can not let our confidence in ourselves be shaken.

It was an exciting and busy day on campus - class, frantic translation and editing, long discussions with professors about my research project and possible leads to track down, all on a blustery Chicago day. I finally got a chance to check my mail to be greeted with a big, fat NS. Didn't make it, guys. I'm bummed out about it, and of course I'll always wonder what I would've done in China, but I'm just going to keep on truckin', apply again, and try to see the silver lining in the fact that I won't have to be away from my wife for a year. 

Thanks everyone for being such great comrades in this process. It's really great to have you smart, interesting, compassionate people to connect with here.

Oh no! I am sorry.  Good luck with your future endeavors! 

CrystalDee, that's really a bummer. Very sad to hear that, since we were all rooting for you and you obviously have an attitude that would make you an excellent Fulbrighter. I really hoppe you get bumped up. bryan jenkins and lls11, that sucks. But I hope we all bounce back and can not let our confidence in ourselves be shaken.

It was an exciting and busy day on campus - class, frantic translation and editing, long discussions with professors about my research project and possible leads to track down, all on a blustery Chicago day. I finally got a chance to check my mail to be greeted with a big, fat NS. Didn't make it, guys. I'm bummed out about it, and of course I'll always wonder what I would've done in China, but I'm just going to keep on truckin', apply again, and try to see the silver lining in the fact that I won't have to be away from my wife for a year. 

Thanks everyone for being such great comrades in this process. It's really great to have you smart, interesting, compassionate people to connect with here.

Bummer man. I was mainly a lurker, but I always enjoyed your posts and was kind of hoping I could get a chance to meet you. 

In any case, Fulbright is only one of many paths to take, and it sounds like no matter what you do you'll do great in it. 

Hopin' you get the chance to flesh out and pursue those badass research ideas of yours.

And wishing the best to all else on this board; it is a really nice and supportive community, made the wait more fun at the least.

Thanks for the support everyone. It means a lot.

Just went for a nice run up to the Navy Pier to relieve the stress. It worked. When I set out, the sky was a lowering purple with clouds scudding by quickly, then on my way home it was just the Chicago lights. I love these windy days at the lake. There was definitely an eerie feeling in the air that the winds of change had chosen the direction in which they feel like a-blowin'. I accept it and I think this coming year will be good - spending the Summer with my lovely wife, then moving to Philadelphia. There is much to be grateful for.

Bummer man. I was mainly a lurker, but I always enjoyed your posts and was kind of hoping I could get a chance to meet you. 

In any case, Fulbright is only one of many paths to take, and it sounds like no matter what you do you'll do great in it. 

Hopin' you get the chance to flesh out and pursue those badass research ideas of yours.

And wishing the best to all else on this board; it is a really nice and supportive community, made the wait more fun at the least.

thanks a lot man, that's really nice of you.

Has anyone called Jermaine Jones regarding the Middle East/Gulf countries? I am dying here...

I emailed him a couple weeks ago.  He said he is hoping for notifications go out at the end of April.

.....so....there was that.

Has anyone called Jermaine Jones regarding the Middle East/Gulf countries? I am dying here...

I emailed him a few days ago. He said he hoped he'd know in "a week or two" but could not promise anything. But I was asking about Israel specifically. Unsure about any other timelines. 

He was very prompt and understanding though. I don't know how much IIE really knows or can do to expedite things.

Ok, for the most part, we have Latin America and African candidates left (with a few scattered- we feel you Switzerland, etc!) This combines most of the countries by culture or about the song.... but this next round of selections... this time for Africa candidates! 

:( :( :(

Man, Fulbright obviously really dropped the ball letting you and CrystalDee go. It's really unbelievable to me. I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sending big internet hugs your way! You really should apply next  year, especially if this was your first time applying. Take solace in the fact that you made it this far your first time - I didn't even make it past the first round last time!!

The application process will be so much easier the second time around - I have a feeling China is in your future, unfortunately it might just take a little longer than you had hoped!

Sorry to hear that. Hang in there, though, you never know what could happen!

Aw crystaldee! I hope you get promoted! In other news, since apparently norway is staying underfunded, I think I'm going to remove my name from the alternate list on Monday. Yay for actually knowing where ill be 5 months from now!

Don't give up hope yet!! You never know!!! I'm rooting for you!

Can any of the Moroccan finalists confirm the orientation dates for me? I lost the email so I'm not sure, I think it was June 9 to 13? Thanks and cross our fingers that we'll hear today!

Alternate to Vietnam, found out a couple hours ago. I'm actually not too bummed about it, it just makes life a little bit harder from here on out. My email was worded SO oddly, as others have mentioned. It starts: "We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year." Is this how they usually start the alternate emails?

Sounds like it. I received the same little gem, worded EXACTLY the same way last year.

Can any of the Moroccan finalists confirm the orientation dates for me? I lost the email so I'm not sure, I think it was June 9 to 13? Thanks and cross our fingers that we'll hear today!

My email said June 29 - July 1.  I'm a research grant applicant; are there different orientations for ETA and research people?

You guys will still hang out with me, right?  I have another 3-4 weeks to go still. :blink:

The way things are going, what with my signposts and all, you'll find out before I do!  So ya, I'll still be around.

So I have a question for any remaining Alternates out there (preferrably ones who got their alternate email a week or two ago, if there are any remaining on the forum.) It's a mystery that's been bugging me for a year now, but I didn't closely follow last year's thread so here it goes.

Last year I was designated as an alternate for Morocco. A week or two after that email, I got this email from Jermaine Jones:

"Hello,

Dr. Jim Miller, the director of the Moroccan Fulbright Commission, has requested recent photographs of all the candidates who’ve been named alternates for 2012/2013 year U.S. Student awards to that country. I think these will help him and his Commission colleagues put faces to your names and applications.

It might be best to email these to me, so that I can forward them on to Jim.

Let me know if you have any questions. (Just so you know, he didn’t give any specifications in terms of the size or quality  of the photos, so I’d think that something like a passport picture would be ideal.)

Regards,

Jermaine Jones

Program Manager, Africa and the Middle East

U.S. Student Programs

Institute of International Education (IIE)

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017"

My first reaction was "WTF?" Because honestly, what exactly does a picture do for my application other than allow the commission to discriminate against me or other candidates? And with only 10 alternate positions for Morocco, it isn't like they have a whole boatload of alternates anyway - I would assume there would be 5-10, max., so the explanation of 'putting names to faces' seems like a very weak reason to me.

I asked my Fulbright advisor at my school about it, and she had a pretty WTF reaction too - she had never heard of it before, either. She said she would look into it, but I never heard anything back, and I didn't send in a picture. I never got alternate - I would hope that wasn't why - but I just wanted to see if anyone else on the forum had experienced or heard of something similar.

Anyone care to weigh in?