Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So now we've passed the date range for Kyrgyzstan and I'm going into exams in school, and won't be able to concentrate since I'll be checking my email every two minutes... :( 

I'm so excited for everyone who got it though! I hope I can join the FB group for the ETAs soon :) 

I feel like today will be a good day for a lot of people... bring it on Fulbright!

Let's hope so! Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet and congratulations to everyone that has :). And if you didn't get it this year, I wish you an excellent year of planning so that you can try again starting... Oh wait, Wednesday!

Caught somewhere in time. I'm sure after they all have their morning coffee and donuts they'll get right on sending out those notifications.

Oof, between following a dozen Syria news aggregates compulsively, fantasizing about Fulbright, and checking this site, my MA thesis is starting to accuse me of being a neglectful parent. But on the bright side, it is a beautiful day! And I have a nice bike ride along Lake Michigan to look forward to on my way down to campus. This will definitely be a serious week for notifications, I can feel it.

Morning Friends!! After a somewhat crappy Saturday, Sunday was lovely. Only 5 times on Sunday did I hear "You haven't heard anything yet??" Also, I get to see some Estonian friends later this week in Atlanta. I am so excited!!

Someone mentioned how awesome our community is here, I completely agree! :)

This was me up until last week. I have been less like this of late. My son looked at me on Wednesday and said "Mom? You look happy." Hahahahaha!

If it makes you feel any better, I have kind of been in this state lately and I already know. I really need to get over whatever this funk is and get some stuff done :P

Morning Friends!! After a somewhat crappy Saturday, Sunday was lovely. Only 5 times on Sunday did I hear "You haven't heard anything yet??" Also, I get to see some Estonian friends later this week in Atlanta. I am so excited!!

Someone mentioned how awesome our community is here, I completely agree! :)

Just think, not much longer you will be on the other side of the fence, telling everyone you know about your aweseome plans. Because I really think you are going to get it, and if you don't.. I might just have to start sending some anonymous letters to the Fulbright council...

I went to my cousin's son's baptism over the weekend and was asked a lot of questions  about my upcoming trip. I kind of felt bad that I was taking away some of the limelight from the little guy. Okay, no, I'm lying, I loved it!! I love talking about getting to go to Germany, I am kind of a sucker for the attention, I'm embarrassed to say! :wub:

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Just think, not much longer you will be on the other side of the fence, telling everyone you know about your aweseome plans. Because I really think you are going to get it, and if you don't.. I might just have to start sending some anonymous letters to the Fulbright council...

I went to my cousin's son's baptism over the weekend and was asked a lot of questions  about my upcoming trip. I kind of felt bad that I was taking away some of the limelight from the little guy. Okay, no, I'm lying, I loved it!! I love talking about getting to go to Germany, I am kind of a sucker for the attention, I'm embarrassed to say! :wub:

If it makes you feel any better, I have kind of been in this state lately and I already know. I really need to get over whatever this funk is and get some stuff done :P

Yeah, I have been in a funk; thus my son was so surprised I was happy the other day. Lol! I have made the transition from "Oh PLEASE let it be today" to "Maybe today" to "Someone...anyone...hear something today." I would love to know before I see my friends on Thursday, but I am not holding my breath.

And thank you for your confidence in me. :) I hope that my proposal was interesting enough for them to give me a chance (typo and all). You know we make so many edits to those proposals after a while you stop seeing things. *more notes for future applicants.

We had 3 baptisms at church yesterday, and since I sing with the band I have the best view of the babies. Enjoy these moments, it's a huge accomplishment. I ran into one of my professors at an event on Saturday and I mentioned I was waiting on the Fulbright. She said she had applied when she was an undergrad at Cornell and didn't make the first cut. :o I was shocked! She is brilliant!

I ran into one of my professors at an event on Saturday and I mentioned I was waiting on the Fulbright. She said she had applied when she was an undergrad at Cornell and didn't make the first cut. :o I was shocked! She is brilliant!

Yeah that's so important to keep in mind - almost all of my friends in this MA program applied to Fulbright and none of them (except one) made it past the first round but they are super smart! Just speaks to how important presenting yourself in an application is. Haha but now I kind of feel bad talking about waiting to hear back since they all got denied, oof. What to do  :blink: 

I ran into one of my professors at an event on Saturday and I mentioned I was waiting on the Fulbright. She said she had applied when she was an undergrad at Cornell and didn't make the first cut. :o I was shocked! She is brilliant!

Yeah that's so important to keep in mind - almost all of my friends in this MA program applied to Fulbright and none of them (except one) made it past the first round but they are super smart! Just speaks to how important presenting yourself in an application is. Haha but now I kind of feel bad talking about waiting to hear back since they all got denied, oof. What to do  :blink: 

My advisor told me it's a big deal to make finalist and worth putting on my resume even if I don't win a grant. I thought she was just being nice, but you guys are talking like she's right. Is finalist really that big of an honor? I assumed that Fulbright, like many things in life, is an all-or-nothing competition.

Yeah, I have been in a funk; thus my son was so surprised I was happy the other day. Lol! I have made the transition from "Oh PLEASE let it be today" to "Maybe today" to "Someone...anyone...hear something today." I would love to know before I see my friends on Thursday, but I am not holding my breath.

And thank you for your confidence in me. :) I hope that my proposal was interesting enough for them to give me a chance (typo and all). You know we make so many edits to those proposals after a while you stop seeing things. *more notes for future applicants.

We had 3 baptisms at church yesterday, and since I sing with the band I have the best view of the babies. Enjoy these moments, it's a huge accomplishment. I ran into one of my professors at an event on Saturday and I mentioned I was waiting on the Fulbright. She said she had applied when she was an undergrad at Cornell and didn't make the first cut. :o I was shocked! She is brilliant!

I have a friend who went to Cornell who applied and didn't make it past the first round as well. I suspect, as was in her case, that a lot of Ivy league applicants may rely to heavily on the distinction of being a student at such a prestigious school. I think she thought that just being an Ivy league student was enough, and did not put enough effort into her application, and I wonder how many other Ivy leaguers do the same. In her case, I think she applied on a whim anyway, so that probably also contributed to the amount of effort she put into her application.

What did irk me a bit, was that during the application process, she kept reminding me over and over how competitive the award is (as if I don't know...) and not to be too upset if I didn't get it. I think it rather surprised her that I did get, and maybe even rankled her a bit since she had not.  She can be a pretty competitive person, though, so I'm really not all that surprised.

I am curious who got selected from my university. I haven't heard anything from my advisor. I am trying to get my friend to write an article about these highly competitive scholarships/grants like the Truman, Rhodes, Fulbright and how they effect the students and universities.

I am curious who got selected from my university. I haven't heard anything from my advisor. I am trying to get my friend to write an article about these highly competitive scholarships/grants like the Truman, Rhodes, Fulbright and how they effect the students and universities.

Urgh. Speaking of which, I need to fill out this form so that my alma mater can do a press release.

Must. remember. to do that.

I have a friend who went to Cornell who applied and didn't make it past the first round as well. I suspect, as was in her case, that a lot of Ivy league applicants may rely to heavily on the distinction of being a student at such a prestigious school. I think she thought that just being an Ivy league student was enough, and did not put enough effort into her application, and I wonder how many other Ivy leaguers do the same. In her case, I think she applied on a whim anyway, so that probably also contributed to the amount of effort she put into her application.

What did irk me a bit, was that during the application process, she kept reminding me over and over how competitive the award is (as if I don't know...) and not to be too upset if I didn't get it. I think it rather surprised her that I did get, and maybe even rankled her a bit since she had not.  She can be a pretty competitive person, though, so I'm really not all that surprised.

I am completely intimidated by all the people from large (more important) universities that applied. I am not competitive. I am assuming that because I am from an invisible Midwestern university that will work against me.

Urgh. Speaking of which, I need to fill out this form so that my alma mater can do a press release.

Must. remember. to do that.

Yes you do! We need to see that article. Fulbright posted on Facebook today about two girls/best friends who won Fulbrights to different countries.

I am completely intimidated by all the people from large (more important) universities that applied. I am not competitive. I am assuming that because I am from an invisible Midwestern university that will work against me.

I really don't think so. I too am from a Midwestern university; a state school that's biggest claim to fame is that David Letterman was a student there. And I know my school has had a fair amount of Fulbright recipients. Somewhere on the Fulbright website you can find a breakdown of where all the past and present recipients have graduated from. You would be quite surprised at the ratio of people from uknown schools to those from Ivy Leagues.. I almost think that they lean more towards awarding students from more modest schools.

Yes you do! We need to see that article. Fulbright posted on Facebook today about two girls/best friends who won Fulbrights to different countries.

I REALLY wanted to comment on that article along the lines of "hurry the freak up with everybody else's applications so we know what to do with our lives," but I figured that wouldn't go over too well ;)

I was kind of an awful person a few weeks ago and commented on the embassy's (in Tallinn) Facebook's page about something they posted. I was being helpful, of course. I also changed my profile picture to my picture with the vice president, they might need to know I am a friend of the administration lol! But, I felt some guilt after I did it.

I really don't think so. I too am from a Midwestern university; a state school that's biggest claim to fame is that David Letterman was a student there. And I know my school has had a fair amount of Fulbright recipients. Somewhere on the Fulbright website you can find a breakdown of where all the past and present recipients have graduated from. You would be quite surprised at the ratio of people from uknown schools to those from Ivy Leagues.. I almost think that they lean more towards awarding students from more modest schools.

Agreed. I don't remember one ETA in my entire 2010-2011 cohort who attended an Ivy League. I'm sure there were a few, but not enough for me to make note of it. A lot of my friends were from small, liberal arts schools in the Pacific Northwest/Midwest.  

Agreed. I don't remember one ETA in my entire 2010-2011 cohort who attended an Ivy League. I'm sure there were a few, but not enough for me to make note of it. A lot of my friends were from small, liberal arts schools in the Pacific Northwest/Midwest.  

This is making me feel better. Ok State  has had a couple of good years for research Fulbrights. I have had several conversations with my university about including the satellite campuses more. They seem to focus only the main campus. I graduated from our Tulsa campus, but I had to travel an hour and a half each way to go info meetings and my on-campus interview. I ended up being the only person from my campus who applied.

This is making me feel better. Ok State  has had a couple of good years for research Fulbrights. I have had several conversations with my university about including the satellite campuses more. They seem to focus only the main campus. I graduated from our Tulsa campus, but I had to travel an hour and a half each way to go info meetings and my on-campus interview. I ended up being the only person from my campus who applied.

Just try and hang in there. Your scumbag brain is going to try to do everything in it's power to convince you there's no way you are going to get it. The longer you have to wait, the worse it's going to get. :(

I honestly think the only people who put stock in the Ivy League are Americans. For the most part, I don't think Europeans give three shakes where you went to school. The name recognition is there obviously, but it's definitely not an advantage.