Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Mee too. Would have preferred a rejection. Soo now I need to contact the grad program I already committed to and ask them if they can keep waiting? Oh the guilt!

Awww I was really rooting for you! Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy upgrade to accepted for you.

p.s. The Norway situation (some notified some not) seems so crazy to me...

p.p.s. @ dios Achilleus, super surprising re: them not knowing about this site! Clearly I attach too much self-importance to it... and assume their lives must also revolve around our all-consuming preoccupation (ok maybe "all-consuming" is a tad strong). Reminiscent of Crystal Dee's "my life changing event is just someone else's paperwork" -- HA so true. And speaking of Crystal Dee, HAHAHA @ "they would pass out if they saw the spreadsheet." Hilarious.

Edited by OTL2012

I was just curious because I also study social psychology, and it's rare to find somebody else who does!

Awesome! What specifically are you interested in? Are you planning on doing social psych research while on Fulbright?

Awesome! What specifically are you interested in? Are you planning on doing social psych research while on Fulbright?

I'm interested in political intolerance and intergroup relations. If possible, I'd like to conduct a study similar to one I conducted in Moscow a year ago, when I looked at how nationalism and religiosity affect intergroup attitudes in people high in RWA and SDO. However, I'm writing one of my senior theses on political intolerance and would like to incorporate that into some sort of project in Tajikistan. But... It depends on feasibility, and it isn't the research that I proposed in my Fulbright application. So we'll see. Pretty sure I'd be the first person to collect that kind of data there, though...

In what are you interested?

Awww I was really rooting for you! Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy upgrade to accepted for you.

p.p.s. @ dios Achilleus, super surprising re: them not knowing about this site! Clearly I attach too much self-importance to it... and assume their lives must also revolve around our all-consuming preoccupation (ok maybe "all-consuming" is a tad strong). Reminiscent of Crystal Dee's "my life changing event is just someone else's paperwork" -- HA so true. And speaking of Crystal Dee, HAHAHA @ "they would pass out if they saw the spreadsheet." Hilarious.

Thanks! All this waiting gives one perspective, so I am trying to put myself in their (whoever the decision-making party may be) shoes. I try to imagine looking over all these proposals and letters, some topics may interest me, and some may not. It could be a daunting task.

It's funny, now instead of getting messages from friends asking me if I have heard anything; they are saying "I know today is the day, I can feel it." Lol!! I did finally add this to my prayer list at church. I figure the prayer warriors might help. :) Now off to look for my Magic 8 Ball...

Mee too. Would have preferred a rejection. Soo now I need to contact the grad program I already committed to and ask them if they can keep waiting? Oh the guilt!

NOO! I thought for sure you would get it...you are too awesome!!

Keep the faith though, as we have seen a decent number of alts get moved up!!

I am rooting for you!!

In Estonian, we have a saying: God's Mill grinds slowly, but it grinds.

I am trying to keep this in mind.

Hey! An Estonian connection! Welcome to the board!! :) Love your screen name! Someone here said last week, "I would rather a slow yes, than a quick no." It's true, but waiting is tough. Hopefully, we will hear something soon.

So, I was not feeling well yesterday and didn't check the board. I just wanted to give a big congrats to anyone who heard,

and a big hug to anyone who did not get the news they were hoping for!!

If you got alt status, all is not lost! There have been a good number of people who were bumped, so you never know, your luck could change!
If you were turned down,  I'm so sorry!! Hang in there, and make sure to reapply! This was my second attempt, and I can't stress how much more confident I felt going into the application process the second time around. If you are serious about going, you can make it happen! Also, look for any other scholarships or grants you could apply for! Like DAAD for German applicants, and I'm sure there are other options for other countries!

So, I was not feeling well yesterday and didn't check the board. I just wanted to give a big congrats to anyone who heard,

and a big hug to anyone who did not get the news they were hoping for!!

If you got alt status, all is not lost! There have been a good number of people who were bumped, so you never know, your luck could change!

If you were turned down,  I'm so sorry!! Hang in there, and make sure to reapply! This was my second attempt, and I can't stress how much more confident I felt going into the application process the second time around. If you are serious about going, you can make it happen! Also, look for any other scholarships or grants you could apply for! Like DAAD for German applicants, and I'm sure there are other options for other countries!

I was missing you yesterday! Hope you are feeling better. :)

We (Eastern European folks) finally got our "Save the Date" email yesterday. Our Pre-Departure training is July 21-23. Maybe this is a sign of progress. *fingers crossed*

I was missing you yesterday! Hope you are feeling better. :)

We (Eastern European folks) finally got our "Save the Date" email yesterday. Our Pre-Departure training is July 21-23. Maybe this is a sign of progress. *fingers crossed*

Haha, thanks!! I'm feeling better.

I'm glad you at least heard SOMETHING, but that still not optimal. It must mean you should hear soon, though!! If I still hadn't heard at this point, I think I would have to be put in a straightjacket to keep me from pulling out all my hair or something. This is insane!!

No Norway news yet, but I've been thinking about what resources are available to future applicants while playing the waiting game, especially since it's looking like I may be one of them again.

The spreadsheet from these forums (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1), while containing a lot of data, is woefully shy of anything comprehensive, and so the only useful data for the waiting game are announcement dates (which wasn't even reliable this year, given the sequestration).

"Statistics" for the past few years can be found here (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics). It's really just the number of applications and the number of grants awarded. The intermediate number, the number of finalists, would be tremendously useful, but it is sadly omitted. As I understand it, applications are whittled down to twice the number of grants. So, you have roughly a 50% chance of going from "applied" to "finalist," and about a 50% chance of going from "finalist" to "accepted," assuming that rumor is true.

And obviously, this thread is tremendously useful. It makes the highs a little lower and the lows a little higher, which is good, since my imagination makes the highs higher and lows more frequent. : P

Anyone else have resources for future (or current) Waiting Game participants?

Okay, I think I set this up correctly. Let's see....

**Edit 2: This is really not my gift. I didn't make it an open/closed group. Grrr... might need to start again. Lol!!

**Edit 3: Okay, I will try this again later. Where is that Magic 8 Ball again...

Edited by CrystalDee

To Norway people in limbo, they sent me an email today asking for an immediate email response with

"An indication of whether you plant to accept the grant. Delays in the process this year mean that we have limited time to get things situated. The sooner we know if you’re coming to Norway or not, the better."

Not sure if this is a usual email...Hopefully this means they're hurrying to figure things out and will have responses for all soon! gah, how did NORWAY end up being the craziest this year? Good luck to you!

Just got a rejection from Boren, I preferred the Fulbright anyway but I applied to both because I just REALLY wanted to do my project so I figured 2 shots was better than 1, and I thought my project fit into the scope of Boren better than Fulbright, couldn't be happier with how this turned out but getting the rejection from Boren makes me all the more grateful that I was successful with Fulbright...and it's good practice for the multitudes of funding rejections I'm sure I'll be getting as my career moves forward...or so I hear that's how it goes...

I know this is somewhat off-topic...but I got accepted to the University of Glasgow today!

That means I can stop dreaming and actually be eligible to apply for the 2014-2015 Fulbright award there.

PISSING MYSELF WITH HAPPINESS.

Edited by Alejo

In other news, I was offered a teaching position in Moscow.  Now I don't have all my eggs in the Fulbright basket.  Although, I still hope to get the Fulbright.  Hopefully all of us Eastern European/Eurasian folks will find out soon! 

Sob....applied for the artist non-degree scholarship and was just e-mailed that I've been put in alternate status...I feel a bit depressed....but I ate five slices of chocolate cake and feel a bit better... :P

They e-mail stated that I would be notified the latest 23rd May to see if I will be promoted or not as I am eligible for a partial scholarship...I know it is a cliche question but anyone knows the chances???By the way I applied for the Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance in New York city ... If i don't get the scholarship I will just need to come up with a way to raise 20.000 euros for my visa ....If only housing wasn't so expensive.... damn... Anyone wanna do house swap ? I can even help in household chores :) lol....*cries out desperately*

Hey did you find out about the SSA FB group?

In other news, I was offered a teaching position in Moscow.  Now I don't have all my eggs in the Fulbright basket.  Although, I still hope to get the Fulbright.  Hopefully all of us Eastern European/Eurasian folks will find out soon! 

That's awesome! So, you will be heading overseas no matter what. That is great!

NOO! I thought for sure you would get it...you are too awesome!!

Keep the faith though, as we have seen a decent number of alts get moved up!!

I am rooting for you!!

Thanks guys; to be completely honest, I am not that disappointed! I'm excited to move to Oregon to start a PhD and use my scholarship money to buy homebrewing equipment and a fancy new laptop :). I would have preferred to travel now (before I settle down) but a lot of people go abroad for postdocs, so there's always that! I'll be checking in every once in awhile, but I think this is probably it for me; I think I'll remove my name from the alternate list if I don't hear by ~May 20th.