Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I honestly think the only people who put stock in the Ivy League are Americans. For the most part, I don't think Europeans give three shakes where you went to school. The name recognition is there obviously, but it's definitely not an advantage.

Ha, I didn't even think about that. I'm sure that's true.

The only thing Europeans (and everyone else) are thinking, is how crazy we all are for paying what we do for higher education.

This is SO TRUE! I was talking to one of my friends in Estonia about her PhD program, and she was puzzled when I asked about cost, 'cause the state pays for it. I had mentioned I was paying for my tuition and my son's. The Master's program is just under $5000 a year for international students.

Does anyone ever feel DEPRESSED over not having heard yet?  I know it's a bit of an over-reaction, but sometimes it just really GETS to me.  The wait is so awful.

This is SO TRUE! I was talking to one of my friends in Estonia about her PhD program, and she was puzzled when I asked about cost, 'cause the state pays for it. I had mentioned I was paying for my tuition and my son's. The Master's program is just under $5000 a year for international students.

I had a German friend who partied a little too hard the night before one of her finals and went in the next day, looked at the test, wrote her name down and walked out. I was in a state of disbelief when she told me it was "no big deal" because she could retake the class next semester for E50.  

Does anyone ever feel DEPRESSED over not having heard yet?  I know it's a bit of an over-reaction, but sometimes it just really GETS to me.  The wait is so awful.

Oh, I have been in full on depression for some time now. My mom came over to see me from Arkansas. Like I said earlier, my son was shocked when I was happy the other day. Which is really, really sad. But, I finally just had to let some of it go. What will be, will be. With that said, the waiting is challenging. Just know, you aren't alone, my friend!

Does anyone ever feel DEPRESSED over not having heard yet? I know it's a bit of an over-reaction, but sometimes it just really GETS to me. The wait is so awful.

Not so much depressed, but frustrated and agitated... Where I just don't know what to do with myself because I just want to know (well - admittedly I just want to be accepted). I definitely have to talk myself down sometimes.

Edited by rtlc06

Not so much depressed, but frustrated and agitated... Where I just don't know what to do with myself because I just want to know (well - admittedly I just want to be accepted). I definitely have to talk myself down sometimes.

This was how I was feeling. Right before I found out it was starting to border into anger..

I can understand depression, though. Considering how long we have all been working towards this, it's really no surprise.

I also think distraction is a good way to deal with things. So, I am heading to lunch with my mentor, and one of my references for Fulbright. Okay, we will probably talk about Fulbright a lot, but it will be nice to get away from my email box. :)

Stay positive, wonderful people, and good vibes for some afternoon notifications! Go team!!

haha yeah, I applied to a graduate program in Croatia in 2009 and at the time I didn't have Croatian citizenship so they were like well we'll have to figure out how much we need to charge you, and then sent me this super apologetic email all like, we are so sorry but in order to do our PhD program we'll have to charge you $1,000 a year, I was like um...wow...I'll take it! haha

haha yeah, I applied to a graduate program in Croatia in 2009 and at the time I didn't have Croatian citizenship so they were like well we'll have to figure out how much we need to charge you, and then sent me this super apologetic email all like, we are so sorry but in order to do our PhD program we'll have to charge you $1,000 a year, I was like um...wow...I'll take it! haha

LOL. OH MAN, $1,000 a year??That sounds wonderful...I don't really know what the costs are for PhD programs, but in comparison to undergrad studies, that sounds amazing.

Oh, I have been in full on depression for some time now. My mom came over to see me from Arkansas. Like I said earlier, my son was shocked when I was happy the other day. Which is really, really sad. But, I finally just had to let some of it go. What will be, will be. With that said, the waiting is challenging. Just know, you aren't alone, my friend!

Yeah, some days I am totally fine and don't really think about it.  Other days, I just want to SCREAM.  I just hate having my whole life hang in limbo like this.  And sometimes I feel so angry at FFSB and IIE for dragging it out for so long.  I mean, it's kinda cruel!

I am completely intimidated by all the people from large (more important) universities that applied. I am not competitive. I am assuming that because I am from an invisible Midwestern university that will work against me.

I really don't think so. I too am from a Midwestern university; a state school that's biggest claim to fame is that David Letterman was a student there. And I know my school has had a fair amount of Fulbright recipients. Somewhere on the Fulbright website you can find a breakdown of where all the past and present recipients have graduated from. You would be quite surprised at the ratio of people from uknown schools to those from Ivy Leagues.. I almost think that they lean more towards awarding students from more modest schools.

That was what I was going to say.  I go to a school out in the West and we have a decent amount of students who are awarded prestigious scholarships and honors.  Sometimes, I think, programs like Fulbright look toward smaller universities because it wants a diversity and maybe to give those students a chance who might not otherwise get one.  

That was what I was going to say.  I go to a school out in the West and we have a decent amount of students who are awarded prestigious scholarships and honors.  Sometimes, I think, programs like Fulbright look toward smaller universities because it wants a diversity and maybe to give those students a chance who might not otherwise get one.  

Agreed. I also wonder if they think we would be a better representation of the "average" student?

I know how you feel.  At this point, I just want to know one way or the other.  I have a great backup plan in place and I will get to go abroad to a place I love no matter what the verdict on Fulbright is.  But I would just like to know so I can fully commit myself in my excitement.  I got accepted to a program to teach English in Russia, but at this point, it is all contingent on Fulbright.  Am I going to Russia or am I going to Georgia? 

*hugs* I'm really sorry to hear that. Hang in there, there have been quite a few alts who have been bumped up!!

Awww thanks so much! I just feel like I won't be bumped up since it's such a small country with only two spots :( But we will see! 

I just feel so bad for everyone that had to wait with me cheered me on etc.  and for everyone that wrote my rec letters :( 

I know how you feel.  At this point, I just want to know one way or the other.  I have a great backup plan in place and I will get to go abroad to a place I love no matter what the verdict on Fulbright is.  But I would just like to know so I can fully commit myself in my excitement.  I got accepted to a program to teach English in Russia, but at this point, it is all contingent on Fulbright.  Am I going to Russia or am I going to Georgia? 

Exactly!  I want to be able to "fully commit myself in my excitement" too!  That is such a good way of putting it.  I have a backup plan, too, but it's not as adventurous as yours.  I would just be teaching a writing class at a small college.  Still, I want to be able to start planning lessons and choosing readings, if I need to.  Ugh, so frustrating.

Awww thanks so much! I just feel like I won't be bumped up since it's such a small country with only two spots :( But we will see! 

I just feel so bad for everyone that had to wait with me cheered me on etc.  and for everyone that wrote my rec letters :(

To which country did you apply?

You still have a lot of which to be proud for having made it this far.  Obviously, this is not the news you wanted to hear, but there is always a chance, always a sliver of hope.  

Edited by Porshyen

Don't give up yet!  We have seen so many people get bumped up.  And even being a finalist is pretty special.  Which country, again?

Hey now! There is no shame in this. Being named an alternate is not a rejection -- they clearly thought you were good enough; the money just isn't there. No matter what happens you have a lot to be proud of, and if you ever apply for another Fulbright or similar grant, you're going to feel SO prepared.