Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I have a few questions that you guys may or may not be able to help with. I got an ETA to Taiwan. I also have a long-term girlfriend. We are basically married, but we aren't ACTUALLY married (so, I didn't list any dependents or anything).

The goal was for her to come along and get a teaching job. But, the more information I get, it seems like I am going to be living in a tiny dorm or a shared apartment with other ETAs. I am definitely going to be discussing this further with my adviser. Also, I AM GOING no matter what happens, as this is a dream come true for me. But, is it really difficult or somehow a faux pa to bring my girlfriend with me? Worst case scenario, I suppose she could just get her own apartment over there. Anyone have any experience with this?

Random thought here...can I just say that the word "Rejected" on the Google doc is harsh!!  Surely those letters do not say "Sorry, but the country has rejected you."  It should say "Not Accepted" or something semi-neutral, yes?   :rolleyes:

You can wrap a rejection a hundred different ways and it'll still be a rejection =/

Random thought here...can I just say that the word "Rejected" on the Google doc is harsh!!  Surely those letters do not say "Sorry, but the country has rejected you."  It should say "Not Accepted" or something semi-neutral, yes?   :rolleyes:

I prefer "not selected."

Edited by Books2readme

I have a few questions that you guys may or may not be able to help with. I got an ETA to Taiwan. I also have a long-term girlfriend. We are basically married, but we aren't ACTUALLY married (so, I didn't list any dependents or anything).

The goal was for her to come along and get a teaching job. But, the more information I get, it seems like I am going to be living in a tiny dorm or a shared apartment with other ETAs. I am definitely going to be discussing this further with my adviser. Also, I AM GOING no matter what happens, as this is a dream come true for me. But, is it really difficult or somehow a faux pa to bring my girlfriend with me? Worst case scenario, I suppose she could just get her own apartment over there. Anyone have any experience with this?

I was a Taiwan ETA a few years ago, and one of the other ETAs did this. Basically, Fulbright gives you an apartment and a nice stipend, the girl had to keep paying her rent for the Fulbright place (under 200 USD a month) but found another place for her and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend got a job teaching english and working in a kitchen. There are also opportunities, as an ETA, to put in some hours as a private tutor and make some more money on the side. 

This was in Kaohsiung though, Yilan might be different (if you know where you're going yet). In general though, the Fulbright support staff is extremely helpful and accommodating there. 

I like to think that there's always a way to get what you want even out of a heavily bureaucratized situation. Even if it would be a faux pas, IMHO you should still take your girlfriend/de facto wife with you since, in the end, they'll just have to deal with it and you can probably find another place to live, maybe nicer than the tiny dorms. Do it for love! (maybe this is what Freddie Mercury was talking about when he sang "I'll look back on myself and say, I did it for love, love love love I did it for love!" Screw the naysayers.

Norway applicant checking in. I broke down and emailed Eileen O'Malley at the Fulbright office again and got the following response:

"I’m afraid that we still do not currently have a definitive timeline for informing applicants for Norway. Applicants will be informed as soon as we receive Country Decisions, Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approvals and confirmation on budgets from the U.S. Department of State. We are unable to predict when we will receive all three of these requirements, and we truly appreciate everyone’s patience on this. As soon as I am given approval I will let applicants know. I would be hopeful that it will be before the end of April if not much sooner."

So ya, the wait is killing me. Sounds like the Fulbright office is at the mercy of the Department of State, and who knows when they will get their act together. I was hoping to hear before the grad school selection deadline, but that doesn't look like its going to happen...

Come ON, Eileen...

no but seriously, waiting sucks. According to schedule, I have two more weeks, during which I plan to try to focus solely on my MA thesis. But the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft aglee.

I was a Taiwan ETA a few years ago, and one of the other ETAs did this. Basically, Fulbright gives you an apartment and a nice stipend, the girl had to keep paying her rent for the Fulbright place (under 200 USD a month) but found another place for her and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend got a job teaching english and working in a kitchen. There are also opportunities, as an ETA, to put in some hours as a private tutor and make some more money on the side. 

This was in Kaohsiung though, Yilan might be different (if you know where you're going yet). In general though, the Fulbright support staff is extremely helpful and accommodating there. 

Thank you so much. This makes me feel a lot better.

I was probably just over thinking it, but I was getting all paranoid that things wouldn't work out. The more I read about the program, the more strict it seemed. I sorta got the vibe that they wouldn't appreciate it if you weren't at the apartment they selected for you. I'm glad to know the situation is a bit more accommodating than I had imagined.

Thank you for the information!

E-mails will come out.... tomorrow...

bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be some...

just thinking about...tomorrow

Makes me refesh my inbox and have sorrow... cuz there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely

I just stick out my chin and grin and say
E-mails will come out.... tomorrow

So you got to hang on till tomorrow, come what may...

Tomorrow, tomorrow, Please Fulbright, tomorrow! You're always a day away...

I appreciate this, especially since I love Annie

Hahaha thanks for this. I hope the fulbright people are actually stalking this forum and that their hearts are melted by your version.

Hahaha thanks for this. I hope the fulbright people are actually stalking this forum and that their hearts are melted by your version.

I do what I can when I don't want to study! watch our for a Lion King or Mulan version soon if they don't hurry it up ;)

Omggg, life-changing.

Glad you enjoyed the coffee. That secret menu is really cool!

It's Monday, and Tax Day, how about some good Fulbright news today? Here's to "wishin' and hopin'!

I've been meaning to ask, CrystalDee: where in Oklahoma are you?  I grew up in Lexington and got my BA from OSU but haven't lived there in years.

I've been meaning to ask, CrystalDee: where in Oklahoma are you?  I grew up in Lexington and got my BA from OSU but haven't lived there in years.

Hey! I'm around the Tulsa area. I am not a native (I grew up in Arkansas) but I have been here about 16 years. I also got my BA from OSU. Go Pokes! It's probably about the same here. :)

Hey! I'm around the Tulsa area. I am not a native (I grew up in Arkansas) but I have been here about 16 years. I also got my BA from OSU. Go Pokes! It's probably about the same here. :)

Same here: born in Arkansas; grew up between there and Oklahoma.  From what I've heard, Stillwater has really changed since I left.  Guess that's what happens when the football team starts winning!  Or I guess Boone Pickens could also have a little something to do with it...

Hi all. I am new in here. The wait for subSaharan Africa is rough. I have started compiling to-do lists for either result and it is amazing how this can affect such simple life choices as: should I get my hair cut soon?

We should know by Friday, inshallah, if all the "rumors" I got from Jermaine Jones are true! 

We should know by Friday, inshallah, if all the "rumors" I got from Jermaine Jones are true! 

Do tell!  Do you mean subSaharan Africa specifically?  I'm waiting for North Africa...