Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Me too!  I think that is probably pretty typical.   :)  I am studying Spanish and Anthropology.  How about you?  What did you propose to do while you are there?

I'm a psychology major with minors in Spanish and photography. There are certain things that happened AFTER the deadline that could have strengthened my app (maybe). I proposed to do an after school photography club that would require the students to go out into the community and document life in Spain. We'd then discuss photos together each week. It's pretty simple. What did you propose? I saw a vid once with one of the Fulbright people from Spain. She said that they don't care what you propose (as long as it's feasible) - they just want to see that you're proposing to spend your time doing something outside the classroom. 

Edited by Janika

Re Spain notifying on Sunday last year: the Google spreadsheet says it notified on the 16th, a Monday. I don't think they notify on the weekends (unless you count past years where it was by mail and arrived on Saturday.)

Alternate to Italy :(

I just wanted a definitive answer, this is very annoying.

I know it just adds to the waiting game but you are still in it so congratulations!  Did you just find out now?

Alternate to Italy :(

I just wanted a definitive answer, this is very annoying.

So sorry to hear that, that is definitely frustrating. Just remember though, there will be candidates who accept Masters or other programs, so it is always a possibility that you will get bumped up! I will be crossing my fingers for you!!

IT's only $29 for a year, really not too bad!

Do you guys know if this live mocha deal is for all languages? Say i wanted to learn French and Spanish, does the $29 deal cover both? Or each separately?

Do you guys know if this live mocha deal is for all languages? Say i wanted to learn French and Spanish, does the $29 deal cover both? Or each separately?

All languages I started Estonian last night.

All languages I started Estonian last night.

Yes, you can study as many as you want. I will say, it seems that some languages have more and better material than others.

For example, the German lessons seem quite good, however the Croatian is pretty basic.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

This is my first post, but I've been religiously following this forum over the last few days. Had a big false alarm (and near heart attack) today: I received an email entitled "Dear Fulbright Finalist" but it was something about another person at my university receiving their own. Anyways, I'm a Norway applicant; are there any other Norway applicants here with whom I can commiserate? The suspense and anxiety is quite literally driving me insane.

This is my first post, but I've been religiously following this forum over the last few days. Had a big false alarm (and near heart attack) today: I received an email entitled "Dear Fulbright Finalist" but it was something about another person at my university receiving their own. Anyways, I'm a Norway applicant; are there any other Norway applicants here with whom I can commiserate? The suspense and anxiety is quite literally driving me insane.
Norway applicant checking in! Did you hear about the teens who returned 80k bucks cash they found on a train the other day? Makes me want to go there even more. What's your project about? Or are you ETA?

Norway applicant checking in! Did you hear about the teens who returned 80k bucks cash they found on a train the other day? Makes me want to go there even more. What's your project about? Or are you ETA?

Norway applicant checking in. I broke down and emailed Eileen O'Malley at the Fulbright office again and got the following response:

"I’m afraid that we still do not currently have a definitive timeline for informing applicants for Norway. Applicants will be informed as soon as we receive Country Decisions, Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approvals and confirmation on budgets from the U.S. Department of State. We are unable to predict when we will receive all three of these requirements, and we truly appreciate everyone’s patience on this. As soon as I am given approval I will let applicants know. I would be hopeful that it will be before the end of April if not much sooner."

So ya, the wait is killing me. Sounds like the Fulbright office is at the mercy of the Department of State, and who knows when they will get their act together. I was hoping to hear before the grad school selection deadline, but that doesn't look like its going to happen...

Norway applicant checking in. I broke down and emailed Eileen O'Malley at the Fulbright office again and got the following response:

"I’m afraid that we still do not currently have a definitive timeline for informing applicants for Norway. Applicants will be informed as soon as we receive Country Decisions, Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approvals and confirmation on budgets from the U.S. Department of State. We are unable to predict when we will receive all three of these requirements, and we truly appreciate everyone’s patience on this. As soon as I am given approval I will let applicants know. I would be hopeful that it will be before the end of April if not much sooner."

So ya, the wait is killing me. Sounds like the Fulbright office is at the mercy of the Department of State, and who knows when they will get their act together. I was hoping to hear before the grad school selection deadline, but that doesn't look like its going to happen...

I'm I'm the exact same situation. The place I'd commit to will let me defer my enrollment, but I don't want to have to commit. Because who knows what my research interests will be next year?

Edited by nainalerom

Accepted ETA to Italy!  

Found out on my way out of school when I finished teaching today and was freaking out all by myself in the parking lot.  I'm hoping none of my students were watching, as it probably was not my most professional moment, but I'm so excited that I don't care!!

Accepted ETA to Italy!  

Found out on my way out of school when I finished teaching today and was freaking out all by myself in the parking lot.  I'm hoping none of my students were watching, as it probably was not my most professional moment, but I'm so excited that I don't care!!

Would certainly be weird, from a student standpoint :) Grats!

Accepted ETA to Italy!  

Woohoo! Wonderful! Congrats!

Yes, but at least you know you don't have to stress over the weekend. And no work/school! WIN WIN.
I wish that were true but I have to commit to a grad school by Monday and not knowing about the fulbright is very unpleasant. Sorry to be a downer!

OH MAN. You said something about that earlier, right? And I forgot. X.x Okay, that is a legit reason to not be happy it's Friday!
Yep I'm a bit of a broken record!