Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I wasn't lurking but for the live of me could not figure out how to post here... When I logged in the thread would disappear. Weird! 

You are very welcome to the news, I was just glad I was finally able to get on and share it. Good luck with Lesotho. Have you been there yet? It is amazing!

LOL

Thank you and good luck with Kenya! I have been to Lesotho. I spent 3 months living there teaching HIV/AIDS education prior to starting graduate school. It sounds like you've been to Lesotho as well. Where abouts? It really is an amazing country!

LOL

Thank you and good luck with Kenya! I have been to Lesotho. I spent 3 months living there teaching HIV/AIDS education prior to starting graduate school. It sounds like you've been to Lesotho as well. Where abouts? It really is an amazing country!

Thanks, my fingers toes and everything else are crossed! I went to Lesotho back in 2009 after being evacuated from Madagascar while serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I was in Maseru and also went to the town with the rock structure that inspired those famous hats (by the way, I was able to bring home one mini and a big one... nearly forgot them both in transit)! It was quiet but the people were really nice. I hope the SSA bunch actually hear next week!

Ok, so I have to ask. What is your icon of?

I really need to know what it ACTUALLY is, so I will stop seeing this guy:

top-10-depictions-of-the-devil-L-fS1AUY.

Haha.   This made me laugh. Who is that? 

My icon? Well, the icon is a picture of me.  :)

I just got notified that I got a Fulbright to Belgium! my hands are shaking! I am doing happy dances around the room and smiling like a crazy person! what a relief!

Marbalk, I just found out that I got a Fulbright to Belgium too!! It looks like we'll be neighbors! :) I'll be there as an ETA.

Is this real life???

Hi everyone, I've applied for a full research grant to Kenya in support of my PhD. I am hopeful for my chances but of course one never knows! For those of you who have also applied to SSA (sub-Saharan Africa), I wrote to Jermaine Jones and received the following response two days ago (Monday April 8):

"Hello ______,

I've heard that final selections for Sub-Saharan Africa may be ready by the middle of next week. I don't have any more specific information for you than this, but can say that I should be able to notify you and the other finalists within 24 hours of my receiving them.

(And fortunately, the situation in Kenya pre- and post-election has remained stable enough for the Fulbright program to continue running there uninterrupted.)

I hope this helps."

So if you are waiting for SSA, please don't start worrying/freaking out/checking inboxes until at least next Wednesday! Has anyone else here applied to Kenya?

Thanks for the update!

Marbalk, I just found out that I got a Fulbright to Belgium too!! It looks like we'll be neighbors! :) I'll be there as an ETA.

Is this real life???

NICE!!! congrats!! do you know yet where you'll be? I'll be at the university in Louvain-la-Neuve, but Belgium (and Europe, really) is so tiny that we might as well be neighbors!

aaaaa! I just sent out a slew of thank you emails to everyone that helped me on my application, but I keep checking to make sure that I read the email from Fulbright correctly!

Is this real life???

Congratulations! Belgium is a lovely place and the people are friendly. Good luck on your adventures!

Hi everyone, I've applied for a full research grant to Kenya in support of my PhD. I am hopeful for my chances but of course one never knows! For those of you who have also applied to SSA (sub-Saharan Africa), I wrote to Jermaine Jones and received the following response two days ago (Monday April 8):

"Hello ______,

I've heard that final selections for Sub-Saharan Africa may be ready by the middle of next week. I don't have any more specific information for you than this, but can say that I should be able to notify you and the other finalists within 24 hours of my receiving them.

(And fortunately, the situation in Kenya pre- and post-election has remained stable enough for the Fulbright program to continue running there uninterrupted.)

I hope this helps."

So if you are waiting for SSA, please don't start worrying/freaking out/checking inboxes until at least next Wednesday! Has anyone else here applied to Kenya?

AHhhh Thanks for the info! I applied to Tanzania so maybe I will hear next week too! 

So I heard back from the Europe/Eurasia program manager...

"I’m afraid that we do not currently have a definitive timeline for informing applicants..."

It looks like I am in it for the long haul.  :huh:

I imagine it is going to be this way for all the Caucasus folks.

Edited by Porshyen

Totally random, but do we get the final Fulbright decision via snail mail or email? 

For me, it was first through email and snail mail took a week later.

Just want to point out to everyone that we've officially surpassed last year's Fulbright thread in terms of page count. And it's only April 10th! Either we're a very chatty group or an abnormally anxious one.   
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1353/74/1353743507682.jpg

@there'sanappforthat- wellll see that's where my next decision would come...last summer when I was in Croatia I went to Zagreb for 1 day and found myself a Zumba class to go to and the instructor was SO nice, let me lead a few songs, she owns the studio, and she basically offered me a job right then and there, and a room for rent in her house, haha, if I would come back, so that's one option.  THEN, I have this friend who owns a string of gyms down in Split, which is closer to my family, and I taught like a Zumba party for them last summer and it was REALLY fun, and since it's a group of gyms I could potentially get a bunch of classes all around the city...but I just don't know! 

Also, I'm not familiar with Mala Buna, but it looks like it's close enough to Zagreb that I might just have to explore there if I do end up spending next year in Zagreb!

I just thought I would repost the link since it is pretty far back now and everyone is getting notified!  Crossing my fingers for Spain tomorrow!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Me too! One of the other Spain applicants posted a couple of pages back that IIE was hoping to release Spain's ETAs this week. I've been checking my email constantly since

Edited by arkansasjabalí

Open letter to the next year's Sri Lankan Fulbrighters!:

I saw on the spreadsheet that you heard back on April 3. Congratulations!

I currently live in Sri Lanka (my girlfriend is a Fulbright researcher here). We're based in Colombo, but know the Fulbrighters: ETA, Researchers, and Scholars, quite well around the country. We've lived here since October, so know the country well. So, if you have any questions about anything Fulbright (finding housing, stipend, conditions, where you may be placed if you're an ETA, finding a job as a dependent/significant other etc) or Sri Lanka related, don't hesitate to email me: otis.andrew@gmail.com and I can put you in touch with the right people, or help. There's a lot to tell.

Good luck!

Edited by Dr. Herp

My new thing is going in with a recipe from the secret menu in hand and getting them to make it. Some of them don't mind, others are sort of annoyed. But, hey, it's the little things.

THERE'S A SECRET MENU?! Like in-n-out?!?!!?! How did I not know this?!

My new thing is going in with a recipe from the secret menu in hand and getting them to make it. Some of them don't mind, others are sort of annoyed. But, hey, it's the little things.

THERE'S A SECRET MENU?! Like in-n-out?!?!!?! How did I not know this?!

So I heard back from the Europe/Eurasia program manager...

"I’m afraid that we do not currently have a definitive timeline for informing applicants..."

It looks like I am in it for the long haul.  :huh:

I imagine it is going to be this way for all the Caucasus folks.

i'm still counting on the same general time frame as in the past- so, for armenia, pretty much now til the end of next week is my really hopeful time.

Just want to point out to everyone that we've officially surpassed last year's Fulbright thread in terms of page count. And it's only April 10th! Either we're a very chatty group or an abnormally anxious one. 

Hahaha yes, I had noticed that as well. Considering all 500 something posts I have made have all been to this thread, I can say I may be a contributing factor to the size of this thread.

When I first read this I thought you said we were either very chatty or "abnormally obnoxious!!" LOL. Which is kind of what I am afraid everyone things of my 500 something posts! (or at least, it's getting close to 500, I believe. :o)