Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So those of you that might be in this for the teacher exchange...just got this disappointing news today:

We regret to inform you that the funding available from the U.S. Department of State for the academic year 2013-2014 Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program does not include support for exchanges with the United Kingdom. For this reason, we are not able to provide you with a fellowship for your exchange in the UK.

We want to express our appreciation to you and your school for your interest in this program. We also appreciate the considerable time and effort that you have invested in the application process.

So...do you think sequestration?  Why would all of a sudden they not be able to support exchanges with the UK?  Or do you think it means no MORE exchanges with the UK since i was already an alternate?

So those of you that might be in this for the teacher exchange...just got this disappointing news today:

We regret to inform you that the funding available from the U.S. Department of State for the academic year 2013-2014 Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program does not include support for exchanges with the United Kingdom. For this reason, we are not able to provide you with a fellowship for your exchange in the UK.

We want to express our appreciation to you and your school for your interest in this program. We also appreciate the considerable time and effort that you have invested in the application process.

So...do you think sequestration?  Why would all of a sudden they not be able to support exchanges with the UK?  Or do you think it means no MORE exchanges with the UK since i was already an alternate?

Sounds to me like the sequestration.. :(

Hi Everyone! Is anyone else still waiting to hear back about an ETA to the Slovak Republic? According to the google doc it's been 2 weeks since the last people heard...

Are there any other applicants here for sub-Saharan Africa that I can commiserate with?  

Yes, I'm also waiting to hear about sub-Saharan Africa--ETA in South Africa.  I've been watching the board for a while and decided it was time to join in to give support to others who are waiting.

This is what I am trying to do. Just get exposed to it. I am the same way; the listening comprehension is the hardest part, as well as response. I think that's fairly common though. The TV station Bayrische Rundfunk has quite a bit of their material available online to stream, which I have been watching. It's nice because it varies from children's programs, which are easier to understand, to soap operas, to talk shows. I've watched a few German movies on Netflix, so that works too. Also trying to listen to German Radio while I'm working (yaay! Iphone app!)

Seriously, in this day and age, there are so many opportunities to prepare. I can only imagine what it will be like 10 -20 years from now!

So it starts out on a very "baby" (aka basic) level but Duolingo is AMAZING for practice and review--kind of fun and you can test out of the different little "units" plus it's free, online, and you go at your own pace.

Yes, I'm also waiting to hear about sub-Saharan Africa--ETA in South Africa.  I've been watching the board for a while and decided it was time to join in to give support to others who are waiting.

I'm also waiting to hear about Sub-Saharan Africa.  Did you get the save the date for orientation, too? Grrrr I just want to know!!!  Seems most, over the course of the past few years, hear between mid-April to the end of April.  So..SOON!

For all sub-Saharan African folks-- looks like, according to the Google Docs, tomorrow might be a potential day to hear back.  Does anybody know when the average time of receipt for confirmation emails is?  Morning?  Afternoon?  I put all my eggs in this sweet, sweet Fulbright basket, and I'm frightened.  

Anybody else for Tanzania/Zanzibar?

For all sub-Saharan African folks-- looks like, according to the Google Docs, tomorrow might be a potential day to hear back.  Does anybody know when the average time of receipt for confirmation emails is?  Morning?  Afternoon?  I put all my eggs in this sweet, sweet Fulbright basket, and I'm frightened.  

Awwwwwwww... and I don't know about tomorrow...I don't see patterns arising in past years beyond mid to the end of April.  Why do you think tomorrow??  

Yeah, you do have to just stop woryrying about it being gramatically correct and just hope people understand what you are saying!! Once you get over the fear, it all starts coming together so nicely!

Mistakes can be so hilarious, anyway! When I was an exchange student, my host family had a big birthday party for me, and I had imbibed quite a bit(they provided TONS of beer!!!) I was helping my host mom put dishes in the dishwasher and I drunkenly told her that there were no more seating places left in the dishwasher for the dishes. She had a good laugh about that.

When I first got to Germany, I was looking for facewash. I must have confused the hell out of the drug store workers, because apparently I was asking people for history water instead of face water, (as it is directly translated) because the words for face and history are pretty similar.

Those types of mistakes amuse me to no end!

I love misunderstandings like that. An elderly female Chinese neighbor asked me if I enjoyed cooking at home, and I casually replied "no - I don't have a wife" thinking that I was saying "I don't have a stove."

Good to see this thread still going. There are a few China applicants here, I post occasionally when I'm unable to distract myself. ;)

SMF, where are you looking to be affiliated?

I asked Jonathan Akeley about notification dates because an interviewer (non Fulbright related) was pressuring me for my availability, and I got the following information:

"We are hoping that the China notifications will go out by the end of April but given the uncertain budget environment this year it is very difficult to accurately predict specific dates."

Ugh. At this rate I'll hear back from Boren before Fulbright (and their applications were due three and half months later).

Secretlyismaili, that's a pretty good one. When I was living in rural Fujian, I asked a friend who had some body mods where I could get a tattoo in town, and he ended up taking me to the super market, telling the manager I needed hypodermic needles.

Edited by bryan.jenkins

My country (Ethiopia) didn't hear back until April 25th last year. Are you doing ETA or full grant?

Question: Does anyone know how long we have to accept or decline if we are offered a Fulbright? 

I think it may depend on your individual country? I know for Germany ETAs, for example,we have been asked to respond by April 17 as to whether we will be accepting the grant.

Question: Does anyone know how long we have to accept or decline if we are offered a Fulbright? 

Tell them that you refuse to give your answer until every fulbright applicant is notified! Solidarity!!!! ... No, sorry, I have no useful answer to your question. But given that alternates are told they may be notified at any point up through the summer, I assume that there is some leeway in making up your mind.

What does this even mean?!?!  Did they award prizes and then revoke them?  That is my worst nightmare!

I'm also waiting to hear about Sub-Saharan Africa.  Did you get the save the date for orientation, too? Grrrr I just want to know!!!  Seems most, over the course of the past few years, hear between mid-April to the end of April.  So..SOON!

My understanding is that all recommended candidates received the "save the date" email.  A while back, someone gave a date of April 21 for the Sub-Saharan Africa notifications.  Not sure where they got that from--maybe that was when they heard last year.  Anyway, the wait will soon be over.

Wow, that's hella shitty... After you spent all that time applying. You would think they would figure that out BEFORE the application process began and let applicants know then....

So it starts out on a very "baby" (aka basic) level but Duolingo is AMAZING for practice and review--kind of fun and you can test out of the different little "units" plus it's free, online, and you go at your own pace.

I've tried Duolingo... I did it for a little while, but I was not too impressed. Maybe I should try the higher levels, though.

Wow, that's hella shitty... After you spent all that time applying. You would think they would figure that out BEFORE the application process began and let applicants know then....

Yeah, this is upsetting. I so want to yell at my Congressman for letting the sequester happen.