Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So those of you that might be in this for the teacher exchange...just got this disappointing news today:

We regret to inform you that the funding available from the U.S. Department of State for the academic year 2013-2014 Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program does not include support for exchanges with the United Kingdom. For this reason, we are not able to provide you with a fellowship for your exchange in the UK.

We want to express our appreciation to you and your school for your interest in this program. We also appreciate the considerable time and effort that you have invested in the application process.

So...do you think sequestration?  Why would all of a sudden they not be able to support exchanges with the UK?  Or do you think it means no MORE exchanges with the UK since i was already an alternate?

I'm so sorry you had to hear this news! This is tremendously unprofessional for the program to do, but I'm sure the State Department went through some tough decisions regarding which countries to fund which to cut because of the sequester.

I hope to god that this won't happen for a single country in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.

I love misunderstandings like that. An elderly female Chinese neighbor asked me if I enjoyed cooking at home, and I casually replied "no - I don't have a wife" thinking that I was saying "I don't have a stove."

Bahahahahahah.  hilarious. Makes you sound so misogynistic. LMAO. Maybe it doesn't come across so strongly in China, but it probably does some.

Wait, is that what you were applying for?!

I mean, at least you are applying for Estonia, so that would make a difference either way, right?

No, I am applying for a full grant to Estonia, you're right. It just upsets me that these programs are taking a hit. I don't know, I'm just frustrated.

Slowly but surely this forum is turning into the Eastern European and developing countries forum... Germany and UK have virtually disappeared (except for there'sanappforthat, who is faithful to encourage us in our suffering!) The nice thought: we ought to know within 35 days! :) 

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but I found it while googling this morning. A semi-official statement that the sequester is affecting Fulbright, but only slightly. No real details. 

http://www.facebook.com/fulbright/posts/10151470207319647

Thanks for posting this! A small bit of relief that the cuts are "small" and that the "majority" of grants are being awarded. 

Slowly but surely this forum is turning into the Eastern European and developing countries forum... Germany and UK have virtually disappeared (except for there'sanappforthat, who is faithful to encourage us in our suffering!) The nice thought: we ought to know within 35 days! :)

:wub:

35 days?! Really is that it?! OMG THAT'S PRACTICALLY TOMORROW /scarcasm :angry:

Awesooomeeee! You were an alt for the Fulbright, weren't you? I'm so glad to hear you got the Whitaker!!!! Congrats!

Thanks! Still a little bummed I won't be bonding with all the other UK Fulbrights, but super glad to be going nonetheless. =)

Also, if there are an ETA's around other than I, it is my understanding that we do NOT get a visa prior to departure for Germany, and that we will get said visa once we are there. Is this your understanding, too?

Yes; that's how it worked for my study abroad as well. You have 90 days upon entering to apply for the visa. You can apply for a visa ahead of time, but I most definitely would NOT. There was one girl in my study abroad program who did apply for the visa before she arrived in Germany, and when she arrived the Stadtbuero folks had no record that she had ever applied and received a visa, so she had to redo the paperwork and pay the fee a second time.

Also, I sent my acceptance e-mail to AMERICANPROGRAMS@fulbright.de and guenter.jacob@kmk.org; I got a response back from Katharina at the Fulbright-Kommission.

Have you joined the fb group yet? These questions might be better asked there; less chance of things getting lost in the shuffle.

So those of you that might be in this for the teacher exchange...just got this disappointing news today:

We regret to inform you that the funding available from the U.S. Department of State for the academic year 2013-2014 Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program does not include support for exchanges with the United Kingdom. For this reason, we are not able to provide you with a fellowship for your exchange in the UK.

We want to express our appreciation to you and your school for your interest in this program. We also appreciate the considerable time and effort that you have invested in the application process.

So...do you think sequestration?  Why would all of a sudden they not be able to support exchanges with the UK?  Or do you think it means no MORE exchanges with the UK since i was already an alternate?

So you were already marked an alternate for the program, then they sent you this e-mail? The wording is extremely confusing, given that context. I might e-mail them for clarity, just so you can know for sure what it means.

That's very shitty, however. I'm sorry :(

Yes; that's how it worked for my study abroad as well. You have 90 days upon entering to apply for the visa. You can apply for a visa ahead of time, but I most definitely would NOT. There was one girl in my study abroad program who did apply for the visa before she arrived in Germany, and when she arrived the Stadtbuero folks had no record that she had ever applied and received a visa, so she had to redo the paperwork and pay the fee a second time.

Also, I sent my acceptance e-mail to AMERICANPROGRAMS@fulbright.de and guenter.jacob@kmk.org; I got a response back from Katharina at the Fulbright-Kommission.

Have you joined the fb group yet? These questions might be better asked there; less chance of things getting lost in the shuffle.

THat's a good idea, I forgot about teh FB group. Those were the two I emailed, but I just wanted to make sure that I was right :B

I'm also waiting to hear about Sub-Saharan Africa.  Did you get the save the date for orientation, too? Grrrr I just want to know!!!  Seems most, over the course of the past few years, hear between mid-April to the end of April.  So..SOON!

I got the save the date - worst email EVER. I was talking on the phone with my mom when I saw it and I said, "STOP TALKING I GOT AN EMAIL FROM THE FULBRIGHT!!!!" We were both freaking out, but, alas, it was only a save the date...after I got over the initial shock of it not being either an acceptance or a rejection, however, it was pretty cool to find out more about the program.  :rolleyes: 

Also, I realize this is completely illogical, but every morning I wake up and think, "Maybe this year they will be early...this year seems like an early year, right?" 

I got the save the date - worst email EVER. I was talking on the phone with my mom when I saw it and I said, "STOP TALKING I GOT AN EMAIL FROM THE FULBRIGHT!!!!" We were both freaking out, but, alas, it was only a save the date...after I got over the initial shock of it not being either an acceptance or a rejection, however, it was pretty cool to find out more about the program.  :rolleyes: 

Also, I realize this is completely illogical, but every morning I wake up and think, "Maybe this year they will be early...this year seems like an early year, right?" 

God, I probably would have gone into a Hulk Smash RageTM and broke everything in my sight...so kudos for staying calm!

And no, not illogical. That was also my thought process.

Hi everyone, I've applied for a full research grant to Kenya in support of my PhD. I am hopeful for my chances but of course one never knows! For those of you who have also applied to SSA (sub-Saharan Africa), I wrote to Jermaine Jones and received the following response two days ago (Monday April 8):

"Hello ______,

I've heard that final selections for Sub-Saharan Africa may be ready by the middle of next week. I don't have any more specific information for you than this, but can say that I should be able to notify you and the other finalists within 24 hours of my receiving them.

(And fortunately, the situation in Kenya pre- and post-election has remained stable enough for the Fulbright program to continue running there uninterrupted.)

I hope this helps."

So if you are waiting for SSA, please don't start worrying/freaking out/checking inboxes until at least next Wednesday! Has anyone else here applied to Kenya?