Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hahaha. I love that gif.

For anyone wanting to know how to embed images, surround your image link with the tags {img} and {/img}, but substitute the { for [ and ]. I can't figure out a way for this forum to show code so I'm just using the { .. . So your code should look something like this {img}http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1353/74/1353743507682.jpg{/img} , only the curly brackets should be replaced with straight brackets.

Make sense? I only dabble with coding :/

THERE'S A SECRET MENU?! Like in-n-out?!?!!?! How did I not know this?!

Speaking of sceret menu's , I went to the old 8bucks a week or so ago and asked my barista to put amaretto flavoring in my White Chocolate Mocha. She looked at me like I was crazy and asked what amaretto was. Is that only a alcoholic drink thing? I didn't think so.. and I couldn't believe she didn't know what amaretto was. Maybe she wasn't 21? I don't know.. but I was very disappointed and I just ended up getting their new hazelnut drink instead, which was not very yummy. Normally I love hazelnut, but this just tasted icky and burnt. :(

I'm a little late to the celebration for the Austria USTA program, but I just got moved from Alternate to Accepted this morning! There's hope for alternates!

Nice! That is great news for our alternates! Thanks for the update, and congratulations!

I'm a little late to the celebration for the Austria USTA program, but I just got moved from Alternate to Accepted this morning! There's hope for alternates!

Oh exciting! Where were you placed?!

Oh exciting! Where were you placed?!

I'm in Imst, Tirol. Roughly 45 min from Innsbruck. I studied at Uni IBK last Sommersemester, so I'm so looking forward to going back!

Random observation: My university was concerned about the amount of time I spent in my country because they didn't want that to adversely affect my application. But, I keep reading that many of the applicants spent significant time in the country they applied for. So, was my adviser just nervous for no reason? I spent less than 6 weeks in country.

Random observation: My university was concerned about the amount of time I spent in my country because they didn't want that to adversely affect my application. But, I keep reading that many of the applicants spent significant time in the country they applied for. So, was my adviser just nervous for no reason? I spent less than 6 weeks in country.

Someone from the honors department at my college told me that spending a lot of time in a country isn't a negative, but that you need to convey why you want to go back and spend more time in the country. For example, I had helped teach English for a month in Berlin, so the adviser told me to make sure I really write why I wanted to go back. If that makes sense.

Otherwise, I have no idea if that is true. I had spent, at most, a month in a Germany, had never been to Austria and it took me three tries before I was accepted by Austria Fulbright as a USTA.

I think part of that concern stems from the idea that you're supposed to be representing the US abroad, so I think they don't want people whom they feel are fully assimilated into the country in question and have shed all vestiges of their American-ness, if that makes sense. This was something brought up in my campus interview -- I can't remember exactly how it was prompted, but I remember having to assert that my goal is not (and never was) to be mistaken for German or to disappear into the culture.

A study abroad term doesn't put you at risk of being seen as too "ingrained" into the foreign culture, but I think if you had a strong family background in the country and made regular trips there, that might cause the committee to question if you're the right person to represent the states. For the record as of submitting the application, I had studied in Germany for 5 months and made one subsequent two-week visit; those were my only experiences in Germany.

Edited by Torrid

I'm surprised how many people seem to be applying for the second or third time; considering a year is such a long time, it seems easy to get tied up in other commitments and not be able to apply for a second or third time...

Anyone have any idea what the approximate rate is of returning vs. new applicants?

Someone from the honors department at my college told me that spending a lot of time in a country isn't a negative, but that you need to convey why you want to go back and spend more time in the country. For example, I had helped teach English for a month in Berlin, so the adviser told me to make sure I really write why I wanted to go back. If that makes sense.

Otherwise, I have no idea if that is true. I had spent, at most, a month in a Germany, had never been to Austria and it took me three tries before I was accepted by Austria Fulbright as a USTA.

Thanks for the info! The time I spent there allowed me to foster relationships that will help me do my research.

I think this is just the irrational portion of my brain worrying about every little thing. *Thanks, irrational brain, for making each day a journey into crazy land.*

Edited by CrystalDee

6 weeks?? That doesn't seem like much to me at all.. I was in Germany for 3 months and I got mine! I wouldn't worry.

I lived in Japan for 4 years and that wasn't a problem for me! I wouldn't worry, especially if you applied to go back to do a  project that you haven't carried out in the host country before.

6 weeks?? That doesn't seem like much to me at all.. I was in Germany for 3 months and I got mine! I wouldn't worry.

Thank you! Yes, that was over 3 trips. I would think if you spent too little time in country; how would you know that is really where you want to be? My last trip was the best because I got to visit my host university and meet people. They are so great too! *sigh*  :) 

I lived in Japan for 4 years and that wasn't a problem for me! I wouldn't worry, especially if you applied to go back to do a  project that you haven't carried out in the host country before.

I am feeling better. I haven't done anything like my proposal there. This is all new for me. Thank you!

FYI, here is another good site to work on your language skills.

http://www.memrise.com

It's for building vocabulary. I really like the method they have set up for learning, the vocab seems to stick with me much better than when I make my own flashcards. They have tons of different languages and have study sessions already set up, which I really like. Not having to enter in my own words is very nice!

Thanks for the info! The time I spent there allowed me to foster relationships that will help me do my research.

I think this is just the irrational portion of my brain worrying about every little thing. *Thanks, irrational brain, for making each day a journey into crazy land.*

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I spent 8 weeks doing a pilot study, validating my instruments, getting IRB approval from the DR, and setting up affiliations. However, everyone at my university seemed to think this was a good thing... It would seem that if this were to influence our application status, it would be something that would have already happened in the first round on the US side of things... At this point, it seems like the amount of time we put into preliminary fieldwork would be beneficial in the form of creating culturally competent projects with community buy-in from our locations of choice... Seems like something foreign commissions might like.

Oh - and please no more ventures into Crazyland... " this is just one more day where we're still in the running and hope is still alive..." a very wise Fulbright applicant toldme that once ;-)

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I spent 8 weeks doing a pilot study, validating my instruments, getting IRB approval from the DR, and setting up affiliations. However, everyone at my university seemed to think this was a good thing... It would seem that if this were to influence our application status, it would be something that would have already happened in the first round on the US side of things... At this point, it seems like the amount of time we put into preliminary fieldwork would be beneficial in the form of creating culturally competent projects with community buy-in from our locations of choice... Seems like something foreign commissions might like.

Oh - and please no more ventures into Crazyland... " this is just one more day where we're still in the running and hope is still alive..." a very wise Fulbright applicant toldme that once ;-)

Thank you! I needed that. :) Hope is still alive today.

FYI, here is another good site to work on your language skills.

http://www.memrise.com

It's for building vocabulary. I really like the method they have set up for learning, the vocab seems to stick with me much better than when I make my own flashcards. They have tons of different languages and have study sessions already set up, which I really like. Not having to enter in my own words is very nice!

I just checked this site out; it looks really cool.  It even has Georgian...imagine that! *happy face*

I was going to respond to your post about my icon, but couldn't find it when I checked back for it.  I just wanted to let you know that there is no offense taken! :)