Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Long time lurker here, so frustrated that I am compelled to sign up and complain about another weak of torment. Thanks to all for sharing their frustrations as well.

Hi! Welcome to the board! Otherwise known as "Fulbright Anxiety Support Group"!

Sorry, we don't have 12 steps. just three

1. Apply for Fulbright

2. Wait for results

3. ???!!!

4. Profit!! 

Hi! Welcome to the board! Otherwise known as "Fulbright Anxiety Support Group"!

Sorry, we don't have 12 steps. just three

1. Apply for Fulbright

2. Wait for results

3. ???!!!

4. Profit!! 

Hahaha!! We need to work on more steps. Like, dying a little each day as we don't find out. And, fighting not rolling your eyes every time a well meaning friend asks you if you have heard anything.

I went to the mailbox right after that post. No joke. Ugh. At least I have the weekend to not fret about hearing something.

except if it comes by snail mail on Saturday...?!!??!?!!

I'm waiting to hear about an ETA in Russia, but I have some information for those who were selected as alternates for ETAs in Germany/Austria.

My sister and several German studies classmates applied for assistantships in both countries (something only Austria allows you to do) and several of them were informed this week that they are being offered grants from BOTH countries! In years past this apparently did not happen but for whatever reason they now have their pick. I just thought I would pass this along because once they make their final decisions there will obviously be spots opening up, and since there are several students just at her school alone who are in that position I thought it might give some of the alternates out there hope!

Good luck all! Hope the suspense ends soon...

I know someone who found out she was an alternate last year during the last week of March and then found out she was accepted in early May...so maybe some of you alternates will get full acceptances before some of us even hear a peep.

I think right now my biggest fear is receiving an alternate status and remaining in limbo for the whole summer (which apparently is possible). Yikes.

Two questions:

(1) Did anybody else here apply for Tanzania?  If so, do you have an estimate of when we should hear back?

(2) On the Fulbright Statistics site: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics, does anybody know if the "Applications" number is the total number of applications, or just the ones forwarded to the last stage?  

If the latter is the case, does that mean that only half of the total has been forwarded to the Final-round committee?

Thanks.

I applied to Tanzania! 

The worst thing was how much my heart rate would increase every time I got a new email in my inbox. It would take several minutes for it to go back to normal. It made me feel crazy!!

there'sanappforthat, are you on the Fulbright ETA Germany 2013-2014 Facebook group yet?!

And I agree with whoever it was that suggested we make a general Fulbright 2013-2014 group! It would be great to stay in touch and compare notes, read each other's blogs, etc. :)

I'm waiting to hear about an ETA in Russia, but I have some information for those who were selected as alternates for ETAs in Germany/Austria.

My sister and several German studies classmates applied for assistantships in both countries (something only Austria allows you to do) and several of them were informed this week that they are being offered grants from BOTH countries! In years past this apparently did not happen but for whatever reason they now have their pick. I just thought I would pass this along because once they make their final decisions there will obviously be spots opening up, and since there are several students just at her school alone who are in that position I thought it might give some of the alternates out there hope!

Good luck all! Hope the suspense ends soon...

I don't think that there is any official cooperation or communication between the two programs (and I know people last year who were accepted to both, myself included...) as regards "who gets who" or anything like that. However it wouldn't surprise me if one (or both) countries pass on their alternates/rejected list (of those applicants who applied to both) to the other for consideration. Chances are that someone accepted for both will choose Germany based on the prestige factor etc. and Austria wouldn't want to accept someone who's going to turn them down in favor of Germany, you know?

Anyone else's family wants them not to go to their country of choice? I applied to Jamaica (still waiting!!!!) and my family is COMPLETELY against it.  They'd much prefer it if I went to London, where I've already been accepted. 

Anyone else's family wants them not to go to their country of choice? I applied to Jamaica (still waiting!!!!) and my family is COMPLETELY against it.  They'd much prefer it if I went to London, where I've already been accepted. 

Why are they so uptight? Safety issues? 

Most places in the world, as long as they are not in the midst of warfare, are generally safe (as long as you use your common sense). The biggest threat no matter where you go is pickpockets and muggers, so just be wary of your stuff at all times and try to avoid being on the streets by yourself at night. Avoid tourist traps, too. I would actually guess that your have a greater chance of getting your wallet stolen in a touristy area of London than you would in Jamaica. And if your parents are really worried, ask them to fund a couple self-defense classes before you go :)

Yeah, it's pretty much safety issues: they think everyone's crazy because marihuana is legal :)

Also, it's the fact they know very little about Kingston or London, so they just think London's automatically better because it's in a "first world" country. 

I don't think that there is any official cooperation or communication between the two programs (and I know people last year who were accepted to both, myself included...) as regards "who gets who" or anything like that. However it wouldn't surprise me if one (or both) countries pass on their alternates/rejected list (of those applicants who applied to both) to the other for consideration. Chances are that someone accepted for both will choose Germany based on the prestige factor etc. and Austria wouldn't want to accept someone who's going to turn them down in favor of Germany, you know?

I was accepted to both back in 2010 and ultimately chose Germany because of the"prestige factor." I reapplied to Austria this year and I'm super glad they didn't hold the former decision against me. Can't say that because I was accepted back then, that it put me higher on the list for this year...I honestly thought it would make me a less desirable candidate and was expecting alternate status at the very most.  Here's to a fast decision for the rest of you guys! I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and my thumbs pressed.) ;)

Norway applicant here. On more pins and needles than I thought possible. I found this thread last night and have been refreshing all day inbetween refreshing my email. Every time my computer says I have a new email, my heart palpitates. Now I have a whole weekend of ignorance to look forward to, and with this day passing, the last day I knew to expect a response, I now have no idea when the wait will be over.

This may be the worst feeling in the world. Having no knowledge and no expectation when information will arrive.

Yea, I felt the same way.  I couldn't decide which was worse--the weekdays when I would constantly refresh both my e-mail and the forum thread and having nothing happen, or the weekends when I knew nothing would happen and had to wait the whole weekend before I could hope to get anything.

I hope your wait isn't too much longer! Good luck!

Morning friends! I hope the anxiety abated for a bit and everyone had a nice Friday evening. Thankfully, I have some distractions today.

My family is just going to miss me. But, they said they will be happy for me. This research could help my career in the long run. Reassure them. They will see the joy going there brings you. Good luck, with whatever you decide! Hopefully we will all have news soon. :)

Hi everyone! I followed the same template as the country specific groups. I decided to make a group for Fulbright ETA 2013-2014 as something of a support network and place to exchange ideas amongst other ETAs, especially those who may not have as many colleagues in country.

That group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/123328967859396/

I also made a group for Fulbright Malaysia ETA 2013-2014: https://www.facebook.com/groups/128307870688089/.

I hope to see some people join! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!

Edited by BlueLightSpecial

I chose Rwanda  (still waiting to hear) and my grandparents, who raised me, are totally against it.  They think it's completely unsafe and they don't want me so far away in their old age, I'm sure.  It makes things really difficult....