Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Anyone waiting to hear back from South America? 

Yeah...I am waiting on Ecuador. Tomorrow would tie for the latest notification for Ecuador according to the google spreadsheet.

Scandinavia has yet to hear as well! I'm really hoping to hear this week.

Applicants for Spain haven't been notified yet either, but then again, they didn't report until after April 15th last year. You would think that knowledge would keep me from checking my email every five minutes, but it doesn't :)

Looks like Sub-Saharan Africa people will be waiting until the very last minute. :( April 21st seems like ages away but I guess after waiting this long a few more week wont hurt. sheeesh

Looks like Sub-Saharan Africa people will be waiting until the very last minute. :( April 21st seems like ages away but I guess after waiting this long a few more week wont hurt. sheeesh

Hang in there, Ph.D.H20; North Africa (or at least Morocco) applicants are right there with ya, waiting until the last week of April.

I'm surprised we're ONLY halfway through. It feels like all the big programs have been notified - now it's just the little guys left waiting to hear I guess. Thanks for the data analysis though!

We're likely more than halfway, as not all of the Recommended candidates have reported yet for some of the countries.

Edit: If I take into account the entries that need an update, we have only 38% of recommended still waiting to hear.

Edited by lunita

Yeah...I am waiting on Ecuador. Tomorrow would tie for the latest notification for Ecuador according to the google spreadsheet.

I am waiting  for Venezuela. The earliest was March 20th but the latest was May 3. I am hoping to hear sooner than May 3. 

Big congrats to everyone who has heard since I've last posted!! Especially to there'sanappforthat!!!! I bet it is a big weight off your shoulders--Now you can focus all your energy on encouragement for the rest of us instead of anxiety :P 

Big congrats to everyone who has heard since I've last posted!! Especially to there'sanappforthat!!!! I bet it is a big weight off your shoulders--Now you can focus all your energy on encouragement for the rest of us instead of anxiety :P

Hahaha, thank you!! You are too kind!! Now, I am everybody's designated cheerleader!!!

The sad/weird thing is, I still feel the compulsion to check my email every two minutes!! I guess I've been conditioned now!

I thought I would be more productive now :P

Edited by there'sanappforthat

China folks, have you thought at all about the possibility of getting awarded a Chinese governmental scholarship (which I think we all had to apply to) but not getting the Fulbright? That just occurred to me. Like you'd get a scholarship to still go and do a year of study at the institution but more like a normal student. Any knowledge about this?

Hey lunita!  Any theories on when we'll hear from Switzerland?  It seems like its one of the last Western European countries to report.

Nope, no idea! It seemed that way to me as well, and so I just took a look at the Google Doc. Program-wise (versus volume of number of participants per program), there still remains 10 out of 16 Google-Doc-Reported programs for Western Europe. We only have a record of Austria, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and UK reporting awards. We're still waiting on Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey!

China folks, have you thought at all about the possibility of getting awarded a Chinese governmental scholarship (which I think we all had to apply to) but not getting the Fulbright? That just occurred to me. Like you'd get a scholarship to still go and do a year of study at the institution but more like a normal student. Any knowledge about this?

Speaking of which...I need someone from China to promise to go to the Chengdu panda reserve and take pictures and post them!! Going there and holding a baby panda is at the top of my bucket list!!!

Does any know the timeframe from being awarded the full grant via email to when you get official paperwork from IIE or the host-country's Fulbright commission? Just wondering how long that would take, but not as crazy as I was during the initial waiting period. I hope everyone is doing well!

If anyone is thinking of bringing gifts, one awesome thing I brought when I went to Rwanda was a portable photo printer: .http://www.amazon.com/Pandigital-PANPRINT01-Portable-Printer-Bundle/dp/B0083CYMHO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365021590&sr=8-4&keywords=portable+photo+printer. Something similar to that.

They are relatively inexpensive and compact. I brought over a 100 blanks and used them all and probably needed more, and I was only there for a month. Makes for awesome gifts and also ways to decorate your bedroom/classroom. Especially in poorer areas, some people may have never had a photograph of themselves or their friends.

Nope, no idea! It seemed that way to me as well, and so I just took a look at the Google Doc. Program-wise (versus volume of number of participants per program), there still remains 10 out of 16 Google-Doc-Reported programs for Western Europe. We only have a record of Austria, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and UK reporting awards. We're still waiting on Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey!

Yeah that's a good point.  Sometimes I feel like I am the only one left waiting!  But there are still a lot of us who haven't found out.

I'm unsure what made them pick me, but I got a Fulbright ETA to Malaysia!

BlueLight: I wasn't joking about those SCUBA lessons, :D

--

If anyone is curious, the email subject heading was "Fulbright Application Status (P)" and it was sent at about noon (updated the Google Doc).It has that extra (P) which I hadn't seen before...not sure if that means anything.

--

Whatever your status is, I know things will work out! I applied for a scholarship in October and got rejected on the first stage. :( Other things will work out!

If anyone is thinking of bringing gifts, one awesome thing I brought when I went to Rwanda was a portable photo printer: .http://www.amazon.com/Pandigital-PANPRINT01-Portable-Printer-Bundle/dp/B0083CYMHO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365021590&sr=8-4&keywords=portable+photo+printer. Something similar to that.

They are relatively inexpensive and compact. I brought over a 100 blanks and used them all and probably needed more, and I was only there for a month. Makes for awesome gifts and also ways to decorate your bedroom/classroom. Especially in poorer areas, some people may have never had a photograph of themselves or their friends.

This is actually an awesome idea. I always struggle with gifts...

So true! A friend of mine went to South Africa and did this; they loved it! So, I did in Ecuador a few summers ago, and it was a HUGE hit! I kept having to make more copies.

Cool idea, thanks!!

faithfullywaiting, it says:

SAVE THE DATE

Dear Fulbright candidate:

You were recently notified that you have been recommended for further consideration for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship to Sub-Saharan Africa.  In the event that you are selected as a Fulbright grantee, you will be required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) in the Washington, DC area.   

The Pre-Departure Orientation will be held from Sunday, June 9 – Thursday, June 13, 2013.

Selected candidates will receive an official PDO invitation and registration instructions later this spring.  The costs associated with travel and accommodations for the length of the orientation will be covered by the U.S. Department of State. 

If you are aware of potential conflicts with these dates, please wait until you have received your notification of selection before completing a request for exemption.  Exemption requests are not guaranteed, and requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by representatives from the U.S. Department of State.

I'm also recommended for an ETA in Rwanda and got the e-mail too.  I hope we find out soon!

I'm unsure what made them pick me, but I got a Fulbright ETA to Malaysia!

BlueLight: I wasn't joking about those SCUBA lessons, :D

--

If anyone is curious, the email subject heading was "Fulbright Application Status (P)" and it was sent at about noon (updated the Google Doc).It has that extra (P) which I hadn't seen before...not sure if that means anything.

--

Whatever your status is, I know things will work out! I applied for a scholarship in October and got rejected on the first stage. :( Other things will work out!

Well if all goes according to plan, I'll be a Divemaster by the end of May and will be able to legally assist with trainings and stuff. It's such a wonderful way to explore our world. It's the closest we will ever be to exploring another planet.

The states we could be placed in are all on the east coast, which appears to be where most of the diving is. I guess it would depend how far placement is from the ocean and particular dive sites. I will likely bring all of my stuff anyways.

This place looks sick: http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Perhentian_Islands.

Hahaha, thank you!! You are too kind!! Now, I am everybody's designated cheerleader!!!

The sad/weird thing is, I still feel the compulsion to check my email every two minutes!! I guess I've been conditioned now!

I thought I would be more productive now :P

I know exactly what you mean! :rolleyes: Crazy...

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear!!