Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Agreed. The extra paperwork reminds me of the fact that even in Chinese hell everything is run by bureaucrats and I'm sure there is plenty of paperwork to slog through down there. Where do you hope to be affiliated?

Shandong Daxue. I apparently have some sort of masochistic love for the bleak, dusty, hard-drinking North. On the plus side my intended affiliated prof has offered me his apartment while he spends most of his time in Nanjing. You?

Also, I seem to remember being taught in an undergrad class that even Chinese heaven is run by bureaucrats. Apparently you could end up in the wrong place from a clerical error, hence the burning paper money.

Edited by bryan.jenkins

Really bummed for the Jordan people! Stay strong, amirah. Everyone I know who was applying for the Jordan grant also got alternate status. Jordan why you so stingy?

Aaawww Thanks! Seriously, that's a lot of alternates! I have an evil hope that the accepted's start dropping like flies from a non-permanent, non-malicious reason. Like they all suddenly decide to get married and move to the Caymans instead of taking the grant :-).

FYI: I contacted the Middle East person at IIE to see if I could find out where I am on the alternate list and she said she was prohibited by IIE from telling me. I suspect that goes for the rest of you, though I believe the Hays people can find out.

Also some folks were asking about the TB tests for ETA's: I know in the case of France this is taken care of in country at no expense to you save getting to the clinic. So do check before you shell out any money on examinations. Remember most exams not preformed in a host country are not valid, that goes for America as well.

Edited by amirah

Aaawww Thanks! Seriously, that's a lot of alternates! I have an evil hope that the accepted's start dropping like flies from a non-permanent, non-malicious reason. Like they all suddenly decide to get married and move to the Caymans instead of taking the grant :-).

FYI: I contacted the Middle East person at IIE to see if I could find out where I am on the alternate list and she said she was prohibited by IIE from telling me. I suspect that goes for the rest of you, though I believe the Hays people can find out.

Also some folks were asking about the TB tests for ETA's: I know in the case of France this is taken care of in country at no expense to you save getting to the clinic. So do check before you shell out any money on examinations. Remember most exams not preformed in a host country are not valid, that goes for America as well.

Ah! Yes I wish there were some perfect way that those offered the grant get some other wonderful offer and the alternates would all get in. That way the general happiness would be maximized. 

The mention of TB testing and Jordan in the same place reminds me of having to submit to an AIDS test in Syria when I was at Damascus University (which recently suffered a shelling attack by the regime forces...irhal ya bashar). I just hope the facilities for testing are less questionable than the ones there. ya amirah anti bta7ki 3arabi? shu biddak btadrusi fil mamlakat al-hashimiyya?

Happy Easter everyone. Here's hoping no one has any bad April Fools' experiences re: Fulbright. And please no one try to perpetrate any here...! Nerves seem to be fragile.

Happy Easter everyone. Here's hoping no one has any bad April Fools' experiences re: Fulbright. And please no one try to perpetrate any here...! Nerves seem to be fragile.

I second this!  I think they could probably get in loads of trouble for "just fooling!" grant recipients...so we shouldn't worry about that...but I think many of us might fall apart if we get punked on here.   

haha I love your family!

Hahaha I know right. $5 buy-in, they've selected all the weekdays in April and half of May, winner take all unless I get rejected, in which case winner splits the winnings with me as a consolation prize. And if I get alternate, winner holds winnings in trust until I find out. Now that we've gone through all this I will of course find out tomorrow... Which would be fine! Win-win.

Shandong Daxue. I apparently have some sort of masochistic love for the bleak, dusty, hard-drinking North. On the plus side my intended affiliated prof has offered me his apartment while he spends most of his time in Nanjing. You?

Also, I seem to remember being taught in an undergrad class that even Chinese heaven is run by bureaucrats. Apparently you could end up in the wrong place from a clerical error, hence the burning paper money.

I like your reasons for liking the North, and that's really nice about your professor. I actually hope to be in Nanjing. So you're in Asian Studies at UT? What are you working on? And what did you end up choosing from that very interesting list of all the official Chinese majors? I kind of wish that I was in a position to go with "Marxist ethnic theory and policy" but I think the one I chose was "history of international relations between east Asian countries" though it's possible my understanding of that phrase is different from what it actually practically means in schools. I also like the fact that we are applying to be "senior scholars" on the government scholarship form. Assuming we'll be the same age as the grad students there, that sounds a little off, but hey, if  I end up with a business card that says that I'm not going to complain to anyone.

It's going to be all the more maddening not to get picked after all this extra paperwork, for sure...

For any fellow Italy ETA hopefuls out there, I ran across this on the US-Italy Fulbright commission site: 

Fulbright English Teaching Assistants : firmato protocollo di intesa 2013-14

...L’accordo siglato stabilisce che durante l’anno scolastico 2013-2014 cinque giovani assistenti statunitensi collaboreranno con i docenti italiani di lingua inglese in alcune scuole secondarie superiori del Centro e Sud Italia.

Apparently they signed an agreement on with the US Embassy on March 20th that there would be funding for 5 ETAs next year (rather than the 3 they've been publicizing all application season)!  I found the same press release on the Embassy site, but of course nothing in English and no changes on the US Fulbright site.  Either way, seems like a good sign!

They gave us acceptance data at our orientation in September, and for 2012-2013 there were over 300 applications for 90 new TA positions which is approximately a 30% acceptance rate (and as I'm sure you know, Austria has no finalist process--you submit your application and sit in limbo forever). Germany had 140 applicants for 411 positions for 2012-2013 (this is prior to anyone being recommended as a finalist, even), which is 34% so technically slightly less competitive than Austria. Since you've already been chosen as a finalist, your odds are even better--probably about 50% based on the assumption that twice as many are recommended as there are slots. So don't assume that a rejection from Austria = rejection from Germany. Hopefully you will get both--having a choice is nice!

Previous years (last year and presumably before that) we had an online portion of the application, but in addition had to submit hard copy of that and hard copy of resume, letter, transcript, recommendations, etc. by mail as well. Regarding some people hearing "yes" and some people hearing nothing on the USTA, I know they were having delays with some of the schools (you receive your school assignment in your acceptance) and that may be why some have heard and some have not. Among those of us currently here who applied for a second year, some heard right away and some were a few days delayed--yours may simply be further delayed. There's a lot of bureaucracy for the AAEC (Fulbright Commission) to coordinate with the Ministry of Education, the provincial schools boards, and the individual schools.

Regarding Austria USTA notification dates in general, last year they mostly came at the end of spring break (after Easter) with some people getting bumped up from alternate in the weeks following.

Good luck to all of you! Hopefully one of you will be taking my spot in a beautiful southern city :)

I'm very surprised USTA is keeping the rest of you guys waiting in suspense! I'm sure you will hear Monday or Tuesday. On my email they have an acceptance deadline of April 15th and I can't imagine they wouldn't give you less than two weeks to decide. Fingers crossed for you---  

Some information for all the Indian Researches out there: The welcome email you got from USIEF has two dates for the in-country orientation: August 11-14, and July 30-Aug 2. I just contacted USIEF and they told me the conference is August 11-14, NOT July 30-Aug 2.

Toodles.

out of curiosity, did any of the Latin America ETA's acceptance letter include orientation dates, or have those not been announced yet? The recommendation e-mail said either late June or July, but no specific details beyond that. 

hey all, i'm pretty new, so i'm sorry if this was already addressed somewhere in the previous 150 pages! 

Do you know if the final fulbright decision is emailed from the main fulbright office or from the country you applied to? I mean, it seems unlikely to me that it'd be the former, but knowing which would at least allow me to limit my anxious email refreshing to specific time frames!!

Thanks!:) 

I'm kind of sad the weekend is over. Another week of nervous waiting...

Ugh, I know! What day this week do you all guess we might hear back? Have any of the Germany ETAs tried contacting IIE? Just curious if they have any projections. I don't want to be agonizing over this if the actual estimated time of notification isn't like for another month or something... >___<

hey all, i'm pretty new, so i'm sorry if this was already addressed somewhere in the previous 150 pages!    Do you know if the final fulbright decision is emailed from the main fulbright office or from the country you applied to? I mean, it seems unlikely to me that it'd be the former, but knowing which would at least allow me to limit my anxious email refreshing to specific time frames!!   Thanks!:) 
They said FFSB, but some are saying IIE (Germany applicants). So who knows. Welcome!

hey all, i'm pretty new, so i'm sorry if this was already addressed somewhere in the previous 150 pages! 

Do you know if the final fulbright decision is emailed from the main fulbright office or from the country you applied to? I mean, it seems unlikely to me that it'd be the former, but knowing which would at least allow me to limit my anxious email refreshing to specific time frames!!

Thanks! :)

I think we're not really sure which exact agency it comes from (IIE or FFSB), but it seems to be the consensus that it comes from the main fulbright office.  The country you applied to submits their choices to the US, and then they have to approve your application before officially accepting you.  I believe the office is in NYC, so I've been (trying to) limit my anxieties to EST.  Haha.

Edited by myhandsarebananas

Ugh, I know! What day this week do you all guess we might hear back? Have any of the Germany ETAs tried contacting IIE? Just curious if they have any projections. I don't want to be agonizing over this if the actual estimated time of notification isn't like for another month or something... >___<

Seriously! Lol, no too scared to contact them. xD If we do not find out today, then maybe on Wednesday?

Edited by Miss_Lady

Applicant for Denmark here...been checking this forum for about a week now and thought I'd say hello. I think I saw a couple of other Denmark applicants on here. Hope you're doing well with the waiting (at least, as well as possible)!

I'm applying for a research grant to the Kierkegaard Research Centre at the University of Copenhagen. I'll add my info to the spreadsheet once I get to a real computer (I'm on my phone at the moment).

Good luck everyone!

Seriously! Lol, no too scared to contact them. xD If we do not find out today, then maybe on Wednesday?

Why not Tuesday? Just curious if there's something I'm missing... do they only operate on MWF or something?

Why not Tuesday? Just curious if there's something I'm missing... do they only operate on MWF or something?

I was wondering the same...I have no idea what their hours of operation are this week. Any info on this?

Edited by danielm43

I had a dream over the weekend that I was rejected.  When I asked the IIE why, they said it was because I failed the "costume portion of the competition."  All this waiting is clearly making me lose my mind!

haha that is AMAZING! but let's be real here...if there was a costume portion, I would freaking ROCK it! haha

I had a dream over the weekend that I was rejected.  When I asked the IIE why, they said it was because I failed the "costume portion of the competition."  All this waiting is clearly making me lose my mind!

OMG ROFL.....love this

Baahahahha. hilarious!

Unrelated but, whatever.

I had a zombie dream over the weekend, that somehow wasn't scary.

In my dream, I was trying to kill all the zombies that were after me, but I could never find a decent weapon. I didn't have a gun, and all the knives I kept finding were like.. steak knives, or prison shank quality. At first my strategy was to stab them in the brain, but it was too difficult to stab through the skull with a steak knife. Ok.. I was going to continue but then I realized that this is probably getting a little too graphic, and not everyone watches the Walking Dead and has been exposed to this kind of stuff.

Eh. Anyway, cheers!