Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So, it sounds like there is at least one current German ETA, so I have a question for you. I'm hoping you are in contact with other ETAs and might be able to answer this. I have heard that the school where an ETA is placed will sometimes help with finding housing. Is that common?

Also, in your experience, has the monthly stipund seemed to cover most of your expenses, or have you had to use your own savings?
THanks!

So, it sounds like there is at least one current German ETA, so I have a question for you. I'm hoping you are in contact with other ETAs and might be able to answer this. I have heard that the school where an ETA is placed will sometimes help with finding housing. Is that common?

Also, in your experience, has the monthly stipund seemed to cover most of your expenses, or have you had to use your own savings?

THanks!

I'm a full grant applicant, but I had a friend do an ETA in Vienna. He had to find his own housing (though he was offered leads). Between the Fulbright stipend and ETA wages, he actually came home with a couple grand.

It's also a great source of anxiety! Don't get me wrong, I love the camaraderie, but it also heightens my stress levels.

It does, but the notifications are now trickling in, and I feel better knowing that those announcements are forthcoming. I just hope the folks waiting on Germany stick around after, they are the largest group. :) It looks like I will be here until well into April. Lol!!

I'm a full grant applicant, but I had a friend do an ETA in Vienna. He had to find his own housing (though he was offered leads). Between the Fulbright stipend and ETA wages, he actually came home with a couple grand.

Wait, you get the fulbright stipund AND wages??

Edited by there'sanappforthat

It does, but the notifications are now trickling in, and I feel better knowing that those announcements are forthcoming. I just hope the folks waiting on Germany stick around after, they are the largest group. :) It looks like I will be here until well into April. Lol!!

I plan on it, so at least there is me! I could probably do without the distraction at work, but I'm sure I'd just find something else. That is unless, I get rejected and it hits me harder than I think it will. I will still be curious to see who gets it and who doesn't! :)

Edited by there'sanappforthat

THanks!

Yep. That's fairly common. I actually worked at a former Catholic boarding school run by a religious order. They offered me an apartment in their convent (yes you read that correctly) for 200 euro a month. It was a terrific situation. Frau Maria even did my laundry every Wednesday at 8am. It was a little embarrasing when I had to hand over my "unmentionables."

I actually had NO contact with my school prior to orientation, so the Kommission does a fantastic job of making sure you're settled before you head out of Koeln.

Well from what I've gathered, after notification of ETA awards to Germany they still take a while to send out assignments...so I imagine there will still be a solid crowd from Germany on here for a while...lol

Yep. That's fairly common. I actually worked at a former Catholic boarding school run by a religious order. They offered me an apartment in their convent (yes you read that correctly) for 200 euro a month. It was a terrific situation. Frau Maria even did my laundry every Wednesday at 8am. It was a little embarrasing when I had to hand over my "unmentionables."

I actually had NO contact with my school prior to orientation, so the Kommission does a fantastic job of making sure you're settled before you head out of Koeln.

Oh My god, how do you solve a problem like Maria???

Hahahahhaha. That amused me to no end.

Was that awkward? Did you hang out with the nuns?(Lol, I doubt it, but I had to ask!) I mean, I feel like it might be weird having guests of any sort over. 200 euro a month sounds like a steal though. Did the apartment have a kitchen and what not?

Hahah, that was also the FIRST thing I thought of. I think this board might slowly be making me crazy. :lol:

I would like to know this as well! That would be pretty awesome!

I know!!! My jaw dropped!

I am also kind of wondering about how much you are taxed. I have heard your stipund is taxed, but you have to pay it later when you file taxes, or something. That would be great to know, so you could just save it in advance. I should probably just wait to ask these questions until I get an email and I was actually accepted. but. I'm kind of bored ATM.

Hahahahaha that is fantastic.

Was that awkward? Did you hang out with the nuns?(Lol, I doubt it, but I had to ask!) I mean, I feel like it might be weird having guests of any sort over. 200 euro a month sounds like a steal though. Did the apartment have a kitchen and what not?

The nuns had their own section of the convent, so I rarely saw them except for laundry day. They rented out some spare apartments in a different part of the building for visiting teachers and international college students. It was a really great set up. Fully furnished with my own bathroom. Communal kitchen. NO DEPOSIT. That was a lifesaver. It was only awkward when I had to explain to a priest that the man dressed up as a politically incorrect Mexican (full sombrero, mustache) was actually my brother visiting for Faschings and not some guy I picked up off the street.

I am getting antsier and antsier as the days go by.  

I find it interesting that some country profiles have a lot of information for the applicants, while other pages are scarce.  I wonder why it is not more uniform - stipend, grant duration, housing, assignments, etc.?

I am also kind of wondering about how much you are taxed. I have heard your stipund is taxed, but you have to pay it later when you file taxes, or something. That would be great to know, so you could just save it in advance. I should probably just wait to ask these questions until I get an email and I was actually accepted. but. I'm kind of bored ATM.

Incidentally, your Fulbright stipend is also smaller than a full grant's would be. At least that's what my friend told me. If I'm wrong, I hope an ETA will correct me.

For those who enjoy a little distraction: The Eurovision Song Contest will be getting underway soon, and many of our countries are included. Many are in English, some are in native languages (the Estonian sings in Estonian). I can't link it, it's not allowed. But, Bonnie Tyler, singer from the 80's, is representing the UK. That is kind of funny! Maybe this will get the Sound of Music out of my mind. Lol!!

Incidentally, your Fulbright stipend is also smaller than a full grant's would be. At least that's what my friend told me. If I'm wrong, I hope an ETA will correct me.

Cara Doble at IIE will send out information to her grant recipients regarding the filing of your stipend for tax purposes back in the U.S. It'll probably be the same for others and their contacts at IIE. At least in Germany you won't be taxed by the state because it is a "stipend" and not counted as actual income. ETA's my year got 800 euros a month. Can't say I know what Full Grant recipients got.

Is this a different category of applicants? If this is who I'm competing against, I need to start moving on with my life.

Haha, I'm sure you do not have to be extraordinary to be selected... you just need to have a strong desire to visit/ to be a cultural ambassador in your country and have some experience, of course. 

India full grant people! Have u received ur letter from Fulbright in the mail yet or an email from the India side of things yet? Our original acceptance letter said to expect both soon but I haven't received either yet. Thanks!

Haha, I'm sure you do not have to be extraordinary to be selected... you just need to have a strong desire to visit/ to be a cultural ambassador in your country and have some experience, of course. 

Done, done, and done.