Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hope there are still some posters around to answer this question!! I want to apply for a Fulbright ETA next year. I have mild OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and am currently on a  medication

(antidepressant) and it is well managed. I have studied and traveled extensively abroad without a problem. Do I have to notify Fulbright of this condition? 

There is nowhere in your application (as far as I remember...it's been a year and a half...) that requires you to submit information about your physical or mental health. If you feel that your OCD is well-managed and wouldn't interfere with a successful experience as a TA (keeping in mind that for a lot of people, the stress of moving to a new country and starting a new job could make symptoms more intense), then you should definitely apply!

If you make it to the final round and are accepted, you will have to get a physical and your doctor will have to fill out some forms. If you're under the care of a psychiatrist (presumably, since someone prescribes your medication), then that person will also have to fill out some forms, basically verifying that you can handle this experience in terms of your mental health.

I have a mild-to-moderate anxiety disorder (controlled by medication) and my Dr. simply wrote a note on the form that I was well-adjusted and in control of my disorder and would have no problems completing my assistantship--and he was right! My anxiety has actually gotten better since being here :)

Good luck with your application!

My source is credible. He called the embassy in April and they said they prioritize by most recent graduates, and they like the younger applicants. I graduated in May 2011; yes, it was 2 years ago, and yes I am 40. But, I took the long road in this life. I emailed IIE about it. I said had I known up front they were going to be that way, I would have not applied. And I won't be reapplying...I ain't gettin' any younger. Lol!!

Oh well, you pay your money and you take your chance.

WTAF. That makes me SUPER angry.

I am really, really sorry. God that makes me angry.

That is some pure BS right there.

Congrats Lunita! SO glad to hear you got bumped up!!!!

Thanks so much! It was an unbelievable turn of events. Now I have the honor of filling out the infamously cumbersome Swiss paperwork :D

I thought I had seen this somewhere...but I realized it was in the Germany ETA page from IIE.

"Candidates at all degree levels will be considered. Candidates should be well-rounded, articulate individuals with the skills and motivation needed to assist in teaching American studies, including English language, to German students at all pre-university levels. These grants are especially suited for students of German (e.g., German studies and history). Applicants from other academic fields will be considered if they have adequate German proficiency. Strong preference will be given to applicants younger than 29."

I did check the Estonia page and it didn't say anything specific like that.  It definitely seems wrong to deny you a grant because of your age, as you are obviously deserving.  And if they were going to do that, they should have mentioned that somewhere in your literature beforehand.  But I guess their reasoning is probably that they want this experience to help open young minds so that they can spread that knowledge and utilize it in their further development.  I don't necessarily agree, because certainly you can continue developing past age 29, and I think there are definitely people out there like you who could seriously benefit from and bring amazing qualities to the table here, but if they were being truly discriminatory about it they wouldn't have selected you as an alternate. 

I think that if you and other applicants all presented amazing projects, in the absence of any other factors to use to decide, age might be why they decided to give someone else priority, as opposed to using it as a reason for demoting you in particular.  If that makes sense. 

All you can do is try.  If they don't appreciate your worth you just need to find a program that will. 

I was upset yesterday. Not so much today, and I will find a different funding source. My research is valid and timely. So, I will not be sad. I am leaving for Estonia tomorrow. Yay!! So, all will be well with the world again. I wish I had read that little clause in the beginning. ;)

Does anyone know when or how we get our Fulbright email addresses? I want to start contacting people but feel like I should be consistent with the email address I use, and the Fulbright one would be most appropriate.

My source is credible. He called the embassy in April and they said they prioritize by most recent graduates, and they like the younger applicants. I graduated in May 2011; yes, it was 2 years ago, and yes I am 40. But, I took the long road in this life. I emailed IIE about it. I said had I known up front they were going to be that way, I would have not applied. And I won't be reapplying...I ain't gettin' any younger. Lol!!

Is this area specific? I'm 36, I graduated May 2011. I had read somewhere about there being a preference for younger applicants due to... well I'm still unsure why but it was something that crossed my mind.

Also if an issue of age wouldn't that go against making you an alternative instead of an outright dismissal?

I was upset yesterday. Not so much today, and I will find a different funding source. My research is valid and timely. So, I will not be sad. I am leaving for Estonia tomorrow. Yay!! So, all will be well with the world again. I wish I had read that little clause in the beginning. ;)

It says preference. I think the Chinese listing has something similar. If I had followed it I wouldn't have gotten the grant. If you had stopped from reading a clause like that all the material you put together and being here wouldn't have happened. :/

40 is the new 25

Hi all, 

I've been an Alternate since mid-April. For those of you who have been moved up, did they only contact you by phone? If you missed the call did they email you? Also, do we know which countries got extra funding? Thanks!

Hi all, 

I've been an Alternate since mid-April. For those of you who have been moved up, did they only contact you by phone? If you missed the call did they email you? Also, do we know which countries got extra funding? Thanks!

I was an alternate for Taiwan (since April 2nd) and found out on May 23 that I had been promoted/ given the grant/ whatever you want to call it.  I received an email first which read "Dear Fulbright Applicant, My name is Jonathan Akeley and I am the program Officer at the IIE responsible for the Asia-Pacific region.  Please give me a call at the number in my signature at your soonest convenience to discuss the status of your Fulbright application".

When I spoke to him on the phone he said that extra funding opened up, but I'm wondering if that is their way of saying somebody declined the offer or if funding did actually become available.

I hope this is helpful.

Trying to finish up some applications today and tomorrow while waiting for Brazil information. Looking at teaching English for six months starting in August with either IES in China, LanguageCorps in Vietnam, or TeachingChile in Chile. Anybody have any experience with any of these organizations or know somebody with some? (Note that I'm seriously hoping Fulbright sends final results to Brazil applicants asap so that I can know if these are my best options. If I don't get Brazil, I can look at one year contracts that are much more attractive due to the long-term options).

Trying to finish up some applications today and tomorrow while waiting for Brazil information. Looking at teaching English for six months starting in August with either IES in China, LanguageCorps in Vietnam, or TeachingChile in Chile. Anybody have any experience with any of these organizations or know somebody with some? (Note that I'm seriously hoping Fulbright sends final results to Brazil applicants asap so that I can know if these are my best options. If I don't get Brazil, I can look at one year contracts that are much more attractive due to the long-term options).

I have a good feeling about you and Brazil zhaskin!

I have a good feeling about you and Brazil zhaskin!

I sure hope so! I can only imagine getting alternate or not selected to ANOTHER country... I would probably start a rebellion against Fulbright! I'm sure I could find others on here that would join me ;)

I did find some free Kindle books on basic Portuguese and got them, but I refuse to actually purchase a book unless I hear back positively... I don't want to get my hopes up! 

Are there any other Brazil Fulbrighters out there waiting, or am I the only one left here?! Hello?? Bom dia??? (I hope I said that right...)

Thanks so much! It was an unbelievable turn of events. Now I have the honor of filling out the infamously cumbersome Swiss paperwork :D

Congrats! Looks like I'll be seeing you in switzerland hopefully! Which university are you going to be at? Also...have you gotten any more information besides the initial email from the US Fulbright committee? I'm a little worried about finishing visa applications and such before the start date.....

Congrats! Looks like I'll be seeing you in switzerland hopefully! Which university are you going to be at? Also...have you gotten any more information besides the initial email from the US Fulbright committee? I'm a little worried about finishing visa applications and such before the start date.....

We should be receiving more information on finances and travel logistics shortly.

I was told an e-mail is going out for Latvia early next week that will provide all of this information. I know some other grantees in Eastern Europe already got it, so it's definitely country-specific. I wouldn't worry too much about the logistics yet. Hope this helps.

So I don't know if anyone from Malaysia is still around on these boards, but this question might be applicable to other countries as well.

When they ask for four "passport-sized photos", is anyone clear on whether we are sending passport photos or just 2x2 photos of any nature?

You know what, the more and more I think about this, the angrier I get.

You would have been a GREAT candidate. Your research proposal sounded GREAT. And I know for a fact that other Fulbright scholarships to other countries do not prioritize younger applicants. My sister was a full grantee in India about 4 years ago, and she said she knew of people who where as old as 60 who received a grant! Seriously, if you could get some kind of proof, I almost feel like you should try and sue or something, as much as I am adverse to Americans sueing for everything. It's a government funded program, so it seems like it would be really illegal for them to do that!!!

GRR.

I AM SO ANGRY ON YOUR BEHALF.

You know what, the more and more I think about this, the angrier I get.

You would have been a GREAT candidate. Your research proposal sounded GREAT. And I know for a fact that other Fulbright scholarships to other countries do not prioritize younger applicants. My sister was a full grantee in India about 4 years ago, and she said she knew of people who where as old as 60 who received a grant! Seriously, if you could get some kind of proof, I almost feel like you should try and sue or something, as much as I am adverse to Americans sueing for everything. It's a government funded program, so it seems like it would be really illegal for them to do that!!!

GRR.

I AM SO ANGRY ON YOUR BEHALF.

Many countries in Europe do not let individuals enter MS or higher degrees after the age of 30/35, so I guess it's not surprising that some of the Fulbright committees like having younger applicants. While I don't agree with it, ultimately it's up to the host country

Quick question is there a pre-departure orientation in DC for Russia Fulbrighters? I can't find anything online about it but a friend who did an ETA last year said there was one? Did they just get rid of it this year?

Thanks CrystalDee, myhandsarebananas, vPersie and lkjl2007 for your responses to my question about whether I have to notify Fulbright of my mild OCD, currently well managed by medication. 

Two more questions:

As I begin the daunting task of figuring out which country to apply to for an ETA, do you have any insights into whether a country's attitude  toward a condition like OCD would figure into whether if accepted

I would then be denied?

My condition is well managed and I'm not certain I will even be on medication in a year. But given the stress I'm anticipating senior year: applying for fellowships, looking for jobs, , interning, writing a thesis,  and finishing my major, I bet i'll remain on to best manage. Do accepted Fulbrighters undergo bloodwork for the medical exam? Does it test for antianxiety/antidepressant medication?

When I've studied abroad previously I've filled out a medical history which was kept in a sealed envelope only to be opened in  a medical emergency. There has never been a need to open it . So the private info remains private.

Thanks CrystalDee, myhandsarebananas, vPersie and lkjl2007 for your responses to my question about whether I have to notify Fulbright of my mild OCD, currently well managed by medication. 

Two more questions:

As I begin the daunting task of figuring out which country to apply to for an ETA, do you have any insights into whether a country's attitude  toward a condition like OCD would figure into whether if accepted

I would then be denied?

My condition is well managed and I'm not certain I will even be on medication in a year. But given the stress I'm anticipating senior year: applying for fellowships, looking for jobs, , interning, writing a thesis,  and finishing my major, I bet i'll remain on to best manage. Do accepted Fulbrighters undergo bloodwork for the medical exam? Does it test for antianxiety/antidepressant medication?

When I've studied abroad previously I've filled out a medical history which was kept in a sealed envelope only to be opened in  a medical emergency. There has never been a need to open it . So the private info remains private.

I really don't see what the big deal is. If you're well controlled on an SSRI, there isn't really an issue. If you were a schizophrenic who was controlled on antipsychotics, then yes, that would be a big deal. Why? Stress and new environments may exacerbate one's OCD or schizophrenia, but any physician in any country can easily change OCD meds; the same cannot be said for schizophrenia. The pre-departure medical clearance form is benign. They do ask about a history of psychiatric disorders, but there is space for the physician to describe what the disorder is, how severe it is, and if it is well controlled.

I truly believe you're overthinking the OCD issue; you should be more concerned about your odds of even getting an ETA. Good luck

Well, yes I do tend to overthink ...OCD may contribute to that.

It was also  somewhat obsessive to catch up on all 270 plus pages from this year's application process, but I did and got a lot of useful info. Thanks all! Very impressive... such a supportive group.

I hope you check in with us next year!

Anyway, fairly far back, an accepted candidate  asked for advice re whether they had to report recently seeing a psychologist, Apparently, the medical questionnaire asked this and the consensus was NO. No one will be able  to learn you've done so. Don't do it. It is private information. So my question stemmed from that.

But point well taken re concentrating on my application. Thanks.