Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Email in my inbox today had Brazil ETA in the title. To say my heart started pounding would be an understatement. I then opened the email... and it was merely a confirmation that they received my statement of interest and would let us know by the end of June if not sooner. Huge letdown... I thought they might already have the answer! Needless to say, it was tough to focus and get my heart rate back to normal after reading that one...

Olioliwoo, I would caution you against applying for France since you've already lived there. Fulbright prefers to send students to countries they have never been before, and your seven years in France would count against you.

From their website, http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/eligibility , one of their preferred qualifications, "Candidates who have not resided or studied in the country to which they are applying for more than six months, not counting undergraduate study abroad are preferred. Duty abroad in the Armed Forces of the United States is not considered disqualifying within the meaning of this section."

I would recommend that you apply for another french-speaking country. It's possible that since you were a child when you lived in France they might see it differently, but a lot of what I've read is that any foreign experience over 6 months affects the odds of being accepted. You would be better served to apply to a french speaking country you haven't been too. Plus, France is one of the countries that has almost 200 applicants, and they only accept about 8% of them. 

Edit: I had to finish a fragmented sentence. And I also am adding a link to their statistics page: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

That's a good point, that didn't even occur to me, although it should have. Do you think it would be as much of an issue since it was when she was a child? It might be better to apply for another French speaking country.. I don't know.. maybe Switzerland? I know they speak French in certain parts of Switzerland, right?

That's a good point, that didn't even occur to me, although it should have. Do you think it would be as much of an issue since it was when she was a child? It might be better to apply for another French speaking country.. I don't know.. maybe Switzerland? I know they speak French in certain parts of Switzerland, right?

I have no idea what the Fulbright committee will think of someone living as a child in a foreign country for seven years. This might be a good question for her Fulbright advisor, or just to ask Fulbright directly. There are so many french speaking countries, Switzerland is one of them, so is Belgium. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:New-Map-Francophone_World.PNG

Edited by lunita

I had a friend who applied for both Germany ETA and Austria USTA programs back in 2010. She lived in Munich for 5 years when she was in middle and high school and spent her sophomore year abroad in Austria. I thought she would be a brilliant choice for Fulbright given her volunteer teaching background and competency (but not command) of the German language. She ended up getting rejected after the second round for Germany and was an alternate-turned-principal for Austria. I can’t say that this is an indication of what preferences the panels have for applicants who have spent an extended period of time in their requested country, but there it is. There was also a grant recipient my year who had never been out of the U.S. let alone to Germany.

Edited by der Träumer

I was busy all weekend and didn't check the forum. I'm hoping this is the week for Switzerland!!

Come... On....SWITZERLAND!! this is even beginning to kill ME at this point!! are you the last ones waiting?

Come... On....SWITZERLAND!! this is even beginning to kill ME at this point!! are you the last ones waiting?
Yeah I don't even know who else is still waiting. But I know that it sucks!

Checking in with everyone! I was hoping Switzerland would be notifying this week. Fingers crossed for you guys!

I am watching crazy tornado footage in OKC. Looks like a fun afternoon for me. :blink:

I had a friend who applied for both Germany ETA and Austria USTA programs back in 2010. She lived in Munich for 5 years when she was in middle and high school and spent her sophomore year abroad in Austria. I thought she would be a brilliant choice for Fulbright given her volunteer teaching background and competency (but not command) of the German language. She ended up getting rejected after the second round for Germany and was an alternate-turned-principal for Austria. I can’t say that this is an indication of what preferences the panels have for applicants who have spent an extended period of time in their requested country, but there it is. There was also a grant recipient my year who had never been out of the U.S. let alone to Germany.

It's good to hear that she was accepted to Austria! So, some countries put more emphasis on it than others. I just browsed the 2014-2015 country profiles and Switzerland says, "Ineligibility: Academic candidates should not have lived in Switzerland for more than one year before the beginning of the grant." Germany says, "Ineligibility: Dual U.S.-German citizens will not be considered," and France says, "Ineligibility: Candidates currently residing in France are not eligible for consideration."

Good to know!

Yeah, this is getting insane. I just found out my placement in Germany, and some of you still don't know whether or not you are going...

Yea that's nuts...

I found out my placement today too :) So excited!  I even booked my flight just to get it over with...and I'll just have to make plans around that rather than trying to wait for other things to plan my flight around...because every day I get more and more worried about going over the price (a few weeks ago the tickets were sooo much cheaper that I literally didn't care about it, but as of recently I checked and they were almost twice as expensive---craaazy.)

Yea that's nuts...

I found out my placement today too :) So excited!  I even booked my flight just to get it over with...and I'll just have to make plans around that rather than trying to wait for other things to plan my flight around...because every day I get more and more worried about going over the price (a few weeks ago the tickets were sooo much cheaper that I literally didn't care about it, but as of recently I checked and they were almost twice as expensive---craaazy.)

Damn, that's scary. I need to do it nowwwww. Did you do it through their travel agency thingie, or by yourself?

Also, where where you placed?

Damn, that's scary. I need to do it nowwwww. Did you do it through their travel agency thingie, or by yourself?

Also, where where you placed?

I just called them and did it.  I would much rather not have to pay out of pocket and have to deal with a reimbursement process.  There is a $25 fee (plus any potential change in flight fare) for switching your flight later since you have to do a dummy date, but since I found a flight that was under the travel allowance I was like that's fine with me...and the sooner you change it the more flexibility you have with finding a new travel date that doesn't go above your original booking.

I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen! :)  This actually made my decision to book a flight easier...I just decided to book a flight for the end of August into Cologne...and if I don't have a place to live or if my city ends up being a bit farther away from there I can always just hang around for a couple days until orientation if need be. 

A bit lost and confused here, I received a Fulbright grant to Turkey as an ETA but no one has contacted me and I've received very vague emails. Such as filling out the medical papers and consent forms...I have no idea when we should be leaving and how I can get my visa or ANYTHING...anyone know more than me at this moment? And also, do we have a facebook page for Turkey ETA's?

Thanks guys!

I just called them and did it.  I would much rather not have to pay out of pocket and have to deal with a reimbursement process.  There is a $25 fee (plus any potential change in flight fare) for switching your flight later since you have to do a dummy date, but since I found a flight that was under the travel allowance I was like that's fine with me...and the sooner you change it the more flexibility you have with finding a new travel date that doesn't go above your original booking.

I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen! :)  This actually made my decision to book a flight easier...I just decided to book a flight for the end of August into Cologne...and if I don't have a place to live or if my city ends up being a bit farther away from there I can always just hang around for a couple days until orientation if need be. 

Woot!! Me too!!! Maybe we will be near each other!! I'm going to call and book today!!

are people allowed to know their placement? I'd love to know where I am going in Morocco, but have no clue who/how to ask....sigh

I'm going to Tajikistan and from what I hear, you get your placement once you get there - like they have a suggestion for you at the US Embassy and then you can discuss it with them. It might be different with Morocco though? 

A bit lost and confused here, I received a Fulbright grant to Turkey as an ETA but no one has contacted me and I've received very vague emails. Such as filling out the medical papers and consent forms...I have no idea when we should be leaving and how I can get my visa or ANYTHING...anyone know more than me at this moment? And also, do we have a facebook page for Turkey ETA's?

Thanks guys!

It looks like Eileen O'Malley is your IIE Program Manager. Here's her contact info:

Eileen O'Malley

212-984-5326

eomalley@iie.org

I would ask her for specific questions. I'm surprised they haven't yet told you when you're heading out! Otherwise, I was guided towards this website which has information on all the forms we have to fill out before the grant is finalized:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/resources-for-pre-grantees

Morning to all! It's a sad morning here in Oklahoma. Say a little prayer for the people of Moore, donate a few bucks to Red Cross if you can.

I hope those waiting get some good news today. :)

It looks like Eileen O'Malley is your IIE Program Manager. Here's her contact info:

Eileen O'Malley

212-984-5326
eomalley@iie.org

Eileen is great! Very responsive.

Morning to all! It's a sad morning here in Oklahoma. Say a little prayer for the people of Moore, donate a few bucks to Red Cross if you can.

Crystal Dee!  I think about you every time I see more news about Oklahoma.  I hope your family and friends are doing all right.  So sad and terrifying.

Crystal Dee!  I think about you every time I see more news about Oklahoma.  I hope your family and friends are doing all right.  So sad and terrifying.

Thank you! My BIL and SIL live in Moore. Thankfully their home was spared and they are all okay; just shaken from the whole ordeal.

Thank you! My BIL and SIL live in Moore. Thankfully their home was spared and they are all okay; just shaken from the whole ordeal.

Wow, so glad to hear your family members are okay! I just wish everyone could have been that lucky. Tornados terrify me. I have recurring nightmares about them :(

Wow, so glad to hear your family members are okay! I just wish everyone could have been that lucky. Tornados terrify me. I have recurring nightmares about them :(

Yeah, I have lived around them all of my life, but you never get used to the sound of a tornado siren. I need to turn off the news, it's just so sad.