Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Another option is to defer the grad school for a year...that's what I'm planning to do, I have 2 programs I'm deciding between and both will let me defer the year if by some divine act of god I'm awarded a fellowship...that way I can have my cake and eat it too ;) mmm...cake...

Oops my phone glitched and I don't know how to delete that post...

thanks guys. well what i was trying to say is, these specific grad programs i'm not convinced are right for me regardless ("so why did you apply?" yeah long story), but to confidently turn down such offers i'd need an alternative, before april 15h... i already feel i would take the fulbright over anything :) sigh. remember when life was simple...

p.s.@medizumbacist yay for getting to eat cake! lol and yea i would hope to defer a grad school offer for this. also wanted to say your academic background & fulbright plan is interesting! sounds like important work to be done, wish you luck

Edited by bastana

Porshyen, I see your program includes "Eurasian Studies" - do you do anything Central Asia-ish? Just curious. I am a student of Uzbek, Uyghur, and Old Turkic language and history and of Central Eurasia more broadly. Would that I were able to do a Fulbright among the Göktürks! I know next to nothing about Russia, though, unfortunately. 

Yes, I do. It would be cool to learn some of those languages. Currently I am studying Russian and teaching myself Georgian on the side.  

Another option is to defer the grad school for a year...that's what I'm planning to do, I have 2 programs I'm deciding between and both will let me defer the year if by some divine act of god I'm awarded a fellowship...that way I can have my cake and eat it too ;) mmm...cake...
Yeah... Can't defer a provost's scholarship though! Can only hope to be nominated again and not burn bridges turning it down... That is, if the fulbright thing pans out. Oy.

"Please note that IIE cannot confirm the receipt of individual transcripts before March 1, 2013.  However, we will notify you after March 1 if we DO NOThave a required transcript." -the fulbright webpage

seems a recent edit...hahaha. like many of you i was a little paranoid and getting ready to call in to make sure. now we have it in no uncertain terms :)

Yes, I am. I thought Fulbright said specifically, that you can't do work on the side for money?

You can't, but that doesn't mean people don't do it ;)

Hola. Curious about what it actually means to be affiliated with a university for the Fulbright, like what interactions/relationships with the faculty at the institution of affiliation are actually like. Should I expect to be present at the university (Nanjing University, if I get it) regularly? Do/can(/should?) Fulbrighters attend classes? Am I free to travel to other parts of the country to pursue my research? Is there any official role the university has with reference to the Fulbright project? I know we are all people who will be doing this in the future, but any insight from past/present FB-ers would be great to hear. 

And to any other China applicants (I think there is only one other on the forum), have you heard any feedback on your 2nd proposal statement from the Beijing IIE people?

Curious about what it actually means to be affiliated with a university for the Fulbright, like what interactions/relationships with the faculty at the institution of affiliation are actually like. Should I expect to be present at the university (Nanjing University, if I get it) regularly? Do/can(/should?) Fulbrighters attend classes? Am I free to travel to other parts of the country to pursue my research? Is there any official role the university has with reference to the Fulbright project? I know we are all people who will be doing this in the future, but any insight from past/present FB-ers would be great to hear. 

These are details that should be clarified in your research plan/statement of purpose and application ...

So great, me too!! Full grant to Ethiopia. Have you been to Congo before? What's your project if you don't mind me asking?

Yes I have been before. I worked with USAID there last year. I'm doing my doctoral research there. I am looking and the ecological effects and social drivers of deforestation in DRC: A case study on a specific landscape. Not sure how detailed you wanted me to get so I kept it vague. What about you? Have you been to Ethiopia and what is your project? A good friend of mine is a US Dip in Addis - I'll be visiting her there in a few weeks :D

Oooo I did a Fulbight Hays a few years ago to Ethiopia. Super awesome experience, even though I was sick the whole time :( #stomachonlylikesingira

Yes, I do. It would be cool to learn some of those languages. Currently I am studying Russian and teaching myself Georgian on the side.  

I'm currently living in Georgia. We have a facebook group for Georgian learners.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/georgianlanguagediscussion/

You might find the "files" section helpful. Good luck! 

Been watching this discussion for a while... decided to put in my two cents.
Got an email about a week ago saying I was an alternate for the ETA in Indonesia... I only wish they would tell us where we were in the standings/how many other alternates there are.

The notification email title did have an (A), so I'm assuming you'll all know before you even open the email what your status is. Good luck to all.

Will Sequestration affect Fulbright this year? Still haven't heard from them. Going crazy, it's like your life has been put on hold for the last one year...

Will Sequestration affect Fulbright this year? Still haven't heard from them. Going crazy, it's like your life has been put on hold for the last one year...

Lol, it's not like your life has been put on hold, that's exactly it. My car is on its last legs, and I will definitely need to buy a new one soon. Who wants to be making car payments while they are abroad, though? So of course, I'm putting it off. I've been on my family's cell phone plan since I graduated, but my parents want me off when my contract expires. Should I get a new contract or get a month to month contract? BF and I are probably going to get a joint account if I stay... As well as getting a joint bank account.. Thinking about applying for a new job, but I don't want to start something new and then have to renig if I get the Fulbright...

And I know many of you are trying to figure out grad school and what you want to do after graduating and what not. We LITERALLY have to put everything on hold!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Lol, it's not like your life has been put on hold, that's exactly it. My car is on its last legs, and I will definitely need to buy a new one soon. Who wants to be making car payments while they are abroad, though? So of course, I'm putting it off. I've been on my family's cell phone plan since I graduated, but my parents want me off when my contract expires. Should I get a new contract or get a month to month contract? BF and I are probably going to get a joint account if I stay... As well as getting a joint bank account.. Thinking about applying for a new job, but I don't want to start something new and then have to renig if I get the Fulbright...

And I know many of you are trying to figure out grad school and what you want to do after graduating and what not. We LITERALLY have to put everything on hold!

Agreed...I'm in a really good, stable job that I enjoy, and I still feel as though I'm in limbo. I'm obviously biased, but I think it's a harder wait for those of us who are graduated and working (not to diminish the suffering of graduating seniors...).

Also, is there anyone else that's worried about telling their employer if they get the grant...?

Agreed...I'm in a really good, stable job that I enjoy, and I still feel as though I'm in limbo. I'm obviously biased, but I think it's a harder wait for those of us who are graduated and working (not to diminish the suffering of graduating seniors...).

Also, is there anyone else that's worried about telling their employer if they get the grant...?

Not worried per se, since it's not like I fear retribution or anything like that, I'll just feel kinda bad because it won't be a good time for me to leave the project I'm on right now. I'm sure everyone would understand, but it would deifnitely significantly inconvenience multiple people and that does worry me a bit :/

I'm in the same boat as you, Ruluo! No idea how I'm going to break the news to them if I get this. Although I can't say it's what I would call a dream job, lol.

Eh.. I don't think it would be any less hard to be about to graduate. When I think back to that period of time, right before I graduated and I was looking for jobs, I know I would not have wanted to be waiting around on something like an acceptance from Fulbright.  I was SO anxious about finding a job as it was.

I'm not really that worried about telling my employer. They will deal with it. It wouldn't really be that different from taking another job. What I'm more worried about is finding another job when I come back. It look me long enough to find this one. If I could someone how come back to the same job, that would be AMAZING, but that is a pipe dream.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Yes, Sequestration is affecting Fulbright (or at least the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs). I don't know how they are going to handle the cuts (fewer grants or internal staff/admin/program cuts). I talked about it on page 74 of this forum and linked to the White House report on Sequestration specifics.

It may be that this could delay future notices. I'm not sure. Here's hoping that it won't affect Fulbright at all (preferably, that Congress comes to some type of deal to stop Sequestration this week!!)

I don't know about that...I am a graduating senior and it is tough not knowing what is going to happen after I graduate.  I am waiting on notification from Fulbright obviously, but also the Peace Corps, jobs to which I am applying; it is all up in the air right now.  So, these kinds of things are ALWAYS on my mind.