Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Haha, I seriously just found this whole forum today and was hesitant to join because it seems to take away peace of mind for participants.

ETA to Korea here. Have been passing the time and have not freaking out about impending decisions by piling myself under work. Works like a charm! :)

congrats to everyone accepted. I applied for fulbright research grantto romania.  Any other applicants to eastern europe out there?

Congrats to everyone who just got accepted and best wishes to those who didn't!  I also applied to Eastern Europe, Croatia!

accepted full grant to India...

to those who weren't successful this time, I know how you feel right now. this was my third attempt, and my only regret about the last two times was that I let the fulbright be a judgement on my intellectual and personal worth. don't let it. if you can apply again, do it, because you've learned more than you think you have by going through this grueling process, and your chances will be better next time. if you can't, you've still been through one of the most difficult application processes out there, and every scholarship/fellowship/grad school/grant application for from here on out will seem like child's play at best, par for the course at worst. chin up, chin up.

to those who weren't successful this time, I know how you feel right now. this was my third attempt, and my only regret about the last two times was that I let the fulbright be a judgement on my intellectual and personal worth. don't let it. if you can apply again, do it, because you've learned more than you think you have by going through this grueling process, and your chances will be better next time. if you can't, you've still been through one of the most difficult application processes out there, and every scholarship/fellowship/grad school/grant application for from here on out will seem like child's play at best, par for the course at worst. chin up, chin up.

I am so excited for all those who found out today! I am sad for those who didn't make it. I feel the longer this takes the less chance I have.  I don't know if I will apply again (not getting any younger, ya know). But, you are right this was a brutal process.

I hope to be in Estonia in the fall, but if I am not, I will go on. As does the waiting for me!

Edited by CrystalDee

I am so excited for all those who found out today! I am sad for those who didn't make it. I feel the longer this takes the less chance I have.  I don't know if I will apply again (not getting any younger, ya know). But, you are right this was a brutal process.

Man, I totally know what you mean! For some reason the longer it goes on the less of a chance I think I have. I did this for the first round too -- I didn't really think about it while it was months and even weeks away, and then totally convinced myself in the days leading up to the first round notification that I hadn't been recommended. This entire process...talk about a head trip.

But hey, exciting that there's some movement, that the sequestration hasn't killed everything, and that (completely unrelatedly) the weather forecast for tomorrow is 75 and sunny here. I'll take it.

Also, as an aside, just tried to come up with a forum-appropriate synonym for "mind f***" to describe this process. Sooo I asked my brother.

"What's an appropriate synonym for mind ****?"

"In what context?"

"Waiting for fellowship responses."

"I mean, 'torture'?"

Haha so even I wouldn't have gone that far, but glad to know he sympathizes...

Congrats!!!!! High five!!!

Side note.. WTF Germany. Seriously, your famed efficiency, WHAT HAPPENED?!

Just laughed out loud so hard. India heard back before Germany, so much for that vaunted German efficiency! :D

Edit: Also people should add/update their information on the spreadsheet!: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Edited by Dr. Herp

Congrats! You did it!

Just a quick question (hope for the best, prepare for the worst), how much did you change up your application after the years that you did not get accepted? Maybe that is not a simple question. Did you rewrite everything? Modify a few things? 

Congrats! You did it!

Just a quick question (hope for the best, prepare for the worst), how much did you change up your application after the years that you did not get accepted? Maybe that is not a simple question. Did you rewrite everything? Modify a few things? 

I changed everything content-wise both times, but this time I spent even more time choosing a topic of study, and I also changed my approach in general. Re topic, I learned this time that the right study topic will do half the work for you...I met with one of my interviewers a couple weeks after the interview and she confessed that there were parts of the interview I didn't do so hot on, but that they wrote me a strong rec. letter anyway because the proposal idea 'just made too much sense' to turn down. As for approach, as a student you get used to having applications be about selling yourself and your credentials,  but that's where I realized I went wrong the first two times...the Fulbright committees don't care how great you are, they wanna know why they should care about your proposal here and abroad, and why you're the best person to facilitate the intercultural conversation your study topic is aimed at starting. I know that sounds obvious, but actually approaching the application from that angle is easier said than done, or was in my experience.

I changed everything content-wise both times, but this time I spent even more time choosing a topic of study, and I also changed my approach in general. Re topic, I learned this time that the right study topic will do half the work for you...I met with one of my interviewers a couple weeks after the interview and she confessed that there were parts of the interview I didn't do so hot on, but that they wrote me a strong rec. letter anyway because the proposal idea 'just made too much sense' to turn down. As for approach, as a student you get used to having applications be about selling yourself and your credentials,  but that's where I realized I went wrong the first two times...the Fulbright committees don't care how great you are, they wanna know why they should care about your proposal here and abroad, and why you're the best person to facilitate the intercultural conversation your study topic is aimed at starting. I know that sounds obvious, but actually approaching the application from that angle is easier said than done, or was in my experience.

That is some really good information, I thank you for that perspective and I know some other people do as well. It's interesting to see how your view of the application process changed in order to finally reach your goal! I'm sure that this is a huge day for you you! I'll keep this in mind and maybe talk it over with my FPA so others can have a better handle on exactly what to write. Overall, a lot of people I think are focusing on how super awesome they are and forget that this is primarily a cultural thing.

Thanks a lot and congrats again jmv34!

That is what I have gathered as well; it's a little harder for ETA applicants, though. So many ETA applicants propose the same sort of side project that I think it does rely more on selling yourself a bit more than it would applying for a full grant.

Congrats to jmv34, Anthro14, Rebeccahui3, twincinema, Dr. Herm, and princehal on being accepted to India!! I know you will have an amazing experience! My sister received a full grant to India in 09 and had the most awesome year!

Still haven't heard back from chelali?

And again, so sorry to thelet,if you are still around :( Positive thoughts headed your way!