Get fit plan

MinervasOwl

I'm really interested in training for a 500k- and I've been working out for 6 months taking circuit and strength classes at a local gym but as far as running is concerned, I'm a newby.

I pray that's a typo, because I'm training for a 10K and it seems like forever.

My running didn't really improve until I began running with a group. Just having a pack to keep up with cut my time drastically. Talking and taking in the sights was a really good distraction from my usual attempts to match the beat of what's playing on my iPod and I found myself effortlessly doing <9-minute miles when I normally struggle for 10-minute miles. See if you have any runner's clubs or organizations locally.

I'm really interested in training for a 500k- and I've been working out for 6 months taking circuit and strength classes at a local gym but as far as running is concerned, I'm a newby. Right now i'm using a program I downloaded online. Any ideas how i can train more effectively? Are their groups or classes I can join- generally?

I agree with OnceAndFutureGrad, running with a group/clinic is the way to go. Chain shoe stores like the Running Room always have groups, but they're a bit too commercial for my liking. I joined a clinic at a shoe store that is run by a coach, and that has been AWESOME. We do speed work on Tuesdays, long runs on Sundays, and then she gives us a schedule for all the other days that we can tweak to our liking/schedule/preference. It's what got me through the half marathon for sure. Sunday long runs also enforce the "you should be able to talk while running in zone 1" which is something that can be hard to gauge otherwise.

If you don't have a local group, 5k is a short enough distance that you could probably train by yourself. For a while I was going to the gym, leaving my stuff there, then running outside for 20-30 minutes before coming back to do some weights/stretching. Otherwise, grab a buddy or some music and just jog. It doesn't have to be fast to be effective, you just want to get your heart rate up and get moving. I read somewhere that the difference between running and jogging is simply what you call it, and I'm inclined to agree. My half marathon pace last month was probably what a lot of people would call jogging (average 6:45/km) but it was hard fucking work!

I also hope you meant 5k :P

You can use this tool to map out your runs for distance beforehand - I always find that helps. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Edited by antecedant

yep my summer research position (starts in July) is going to involve a lot of hiking and carrying equipment in the great northwest. I'm not in terrible shape now, but I'm well aware my east coast mountains are a joke to anyone out there. I am trying to get more hiking in over the next month to prepare my body. I definitely would like to keep an exercise regime up once I start classes as well to help moderate my stress and energy levels.

Now I just really need to find some better tunes for my ipod haha...it's in desperate need of an update;)

I'm really happy to see this thread b/c I'm probably currently in just about the best shape of my life, extra motivated by a cruise in July, and have been kind of concerned about fitting in fitness once I start grad school since I will be studying FT and working close to FT. then again, I'm selling my car so the several miles a day I'll be walking to metro stops should count for something :)

I'm really happy to see this thread b/c I'm probably currently in just about the best shape of my life, extra motivated by a cruise in July, and have been kind of concerned about fitting in fitness once I start grad school since I will be studying FT and working close to FT. then again, I'm selling my car so the several miles a day I'll be walking to metro stops should count for something :)

Two of the professors leading orientation when I began my MA program were intensely athletic: a wiry martial artist and a lean boxer. They both mentioned that the mental break and physical relief from exercise was utterly integral to their success. I still clearly remember one of them saying how every time he skipped a morning workout to have more time to study or write, he actually got less done because his mind was less sharp.

I took their advice and had an intense regimen, more weight lifting in the first year and more cardio in the second year, and I look forward to having access to a university gym/fitness center again. Do it!! Don't give up exercise if you do it already, and get used to it if you don't have a routine. An hour or half-hour a day or a few hours a week will more than pay for themselves in terms of making your time worthwhile.

An hour or half-hour a day or a few hours a week will more than pay for themselves in terms of making your time worthwhile.

I always think about how this will pay off for graduation and how sexy and awesome I will look in front of everyone...then I remember I will be in a giant robe, where my figure will be lost under meters of fabric...at least my ankles and feet will look thin!

I've actually never really had a fitness plan - and - my lack of "in shape-ness" proves this. I was pretty satisfied with my appearance until I got married and gained the "I'm comfortable" weight. Now that my husband and I are divorcing, I am trying to focus more on taking care of myself. So, I'm in Tennessee with my folks for around two months before I move to Kentucky for school. I joined the local YMCA and plan on swimming five mornings a week and working on improving my stamina and then moving on to other cardio workouts (treadmill, elliptical, biking) and weight training.

My job once I get to University of Kentucky is working as a residence hall director. My assignment is in the Wellness Living Learning Community - the biggest benefit (in my mind) is that we have our own gym in the basement of our dorm. I am looking forward to continuing cardio/weight training once I get there and swimming when I can make it to the main recreation facility on campus. Also, I am motivated to continue working out when I'm supposed to be leading by example. ;)

Finally, I have completely changed my diet. I recently discovered that I have a sensitivity to gluten - so - I have completely cut it out of my diet. My choices for food are a bit more limited now and therefore my consumption of fresh vegetables has increased while my old standby of pasta has essentially disappeared (with the exception of an occasional gluten free pasta dish). Since making this switch, I've lost two pants sizes without adjusting my activity level at all. Not suggesting that it would work for everyone - but - that's what has helped me thus far.

Good luck everyone!

Finally, I have completely changed my diet. I recently discovered that I have a sensitivity to gluten - so - I have completely cut it out of my diet. My choices for food are a bit more limited now and therefore my consumption of fresh vegetables has increased while my old standby of pasta has essentially disappeared (with the exception of an occasional gluten free pasta dish). Since making this switch, I've lost two pants sizes without adjusting my activity level at all. Not suggesting that it would work for everyone - but - that's what has helped me thus far.

Your specific diet may not work for everyone, but I think you do bring up an excellent point. So many people focus on the exercise aspect, when diet is unbelievably important. I have been blessed with an amazing metabolism and can luckily afford to eat junk food, but if it ever slows down I know I would have to adjust my diet significantly.

Your specific diet may not work for everyone, but I think you do bring up an excellent point. So many people focus on the exercise aspect, when diet is unbelievably important. I have been blessed with an amazing metabolism and can luckily afford to eat junk food, but if it ever slows down I know I would have to adjust my diet significantly.

Agree with this one! People tend to not do both- for instance people I know tend to focus on diet and ignore exercise. I've heard that changing eating habits will really drop pounds but exercise is what would tone/build muscle etc. I don't know how true it is but ...I find that someone who is slim but not toned generally will look odder than someone who's a lil bigger but toned.

That said, for me, watching what I eat isn't even just about size...it's about how I feel afterwards. It may be because I'm not used to it, but junk food always leaves me feeling kind of gross inside, and ultimately not satisfied. Also, it doesn't properly fuel me for or after a workout either. So I can't reeeally afford to eat junk food even though my metabolism is also great.

....of course that's not saying I never ever do though....sometimes I really just want a burger and crispy fries... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I should point out that the 20 lbs I lost weren't just as a result of training for a half marathon. For unhappy-GI reasons I had to cut out sugar, all grains, and starchy vegetables. It's not a fun way to eat and I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't sick like I was/am, but I'm sure my weight loss was as a result of that diet PLUS exercize.

I've been going to the gym (cardio, but mostly weights) since first year undergrad, though not sure if I'll be able to go as often or for

as long, especially now that I'll be driving to campus and back... I am considering signing up for intro yoga classes just to try something new.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most important thing, beyond specific fitness goals, is to walk a lot. Not only is it high-impact exercise- better than biking in many ways, and isn't as exhausting as running!- but also, whether you're in the middle of a stressful semester or just waiting for the school year to start, it's been proven that it actually lowers stress levels and helps you to think more clearly. If I have a free day, my method is to grab my iPod, let my boyfriend know that I won't be picking up the phone for a couple hours, and just set out toward a particular destination but with no regard for how long it takes or how I get there. If it's a busier day but the weather is nice, I get off the train a few stops early and walk to wherever I'm going. This works for me because I detest structured exercise, but benefit a lot from spending time outside and being alone with music/my thoughts fairly often.

My issue is that at the program I'm starting this year, I'll be driving instead of taking public transit. I'm going to have to put exercise into my schedule on purpose... not too happy about that. Luckily, my new apartment complex has a free gym!

My plan this summer is to join Curves (again)--I know, I'm a total wimp. I've never been to a regular gym, and I detest the idea of ever going to one. I like the idea of not having to think too much about what I'm doing--I just get on the machines and go around the circuit.

A few years ago, when I was unemployed and going back to school full-time for my MS (evening program), I was very good about going regularly, and I actually started to lose some inches--then I got a full-time job, switched to part-time school, and that was that. Also, my new place is about a 30-minute walk to my building, so I'm hoping (as long as the weather is okay) to walk most days. At my university, they let the grad students park in the faculty lot right next to the building, so unfortunately, I will be tempted to drive 5 minutes instead of walking 30 minutes and burning some calories along the way.

I'm starting grad school this fall, and I plan to make full use of the campus' recreational facilities. My boyfriend and I plan to have a set daily time to work out instead of just going whenever like what I did in undergrad. We've also been working on eating healthier. We're both big fans of locally grown produce and such, so that helps as well.

My plan is to eat smaller portions and do cardio at least 4 days a week. It has worked well for me in the past, so I just have to keep myself motivated.

Here's an interesting article on aerobic exercise vs strength training.

In regards to the article, if they placed a group of individuals who ran 12 miles a week versus a group of people who worked out with a singular exercise 3 times a week I can see how the aerobic won out.

But from everything I gathered a proper resisitance training workout (5-8 exercises, including compound, 3-5 sets, 5-12 reps, 4-5 times a week) does at least as good as aerobic and, in many cases, better.

But it is different strokes for different folks. Doing something is always better doing than nothing.

If aerobic workouts are your thing by all means stick to that. But be aware of what it can and can do versus other types of workouts.

In regards to the article, if they placed a group of individuals who ran 12 miles a week versus a group of people who worked out with a singular exercise 3 times a week I can see how the aerobic won out.

But from everything I gathered a proper resisitance training workout (5-8 exercises, including compound, 3-5 sets, 5-12 reps, 4-5 times a week) does at least as good as aerobic and, in many cases, better.

But it is different strokes for different folks. Doing something is always better doing than nothing.

If aerobic workouts are your thing by all means stick to that. But be aware of what it can and can do versus other types of workouts.

Agreed. Plus it's great to be putting on some muscle while also burning fat. For me just burning fat doesn't really get the results I want. I just look like a smaller version of old me. But adding strength training is really what gets me to my goals in terms of body composition.

If you're looking for fitness advice, a good source is http://forum.bodybuilding.com/. You have to sift through some bro posts, but there's a wealth of good information on how to get/stay fit. There's also good discussions on alternative fitness goals, e.g., bulking vs cutting, how much cardio you want. If you're interested in the cardio side of things, http://www.runnerswo...mmunity/forums/ is a good resource as well.

I don't see why people steer clear of strength training...especially to lose weight. Putting on more muscle allows you to burn more fat. it will also help you improve your stamina via cardio. I think for everything, you have to have a balance and do it in moderation. A workout plan that is only strength or only cardio will not be as beneficial as a combination. Moreover, i find a lot of women will stick to doing only one type of cardio - e.g., only running or only the elliptical; when really they should be switching it up. Mixing up your routine will help your body avoid the horrible plateau.

As far as diet- i found weight watchers to be sooo beneficial. I never believed in diets and plans, but I have bought a few of their cookbooks on sale, and have begun following their points systems on my own (I didn't sign up or go to the meetings)- but I found it helped. It's all about portion control, and picking the healthier snacks and meal choices. Another issue I didn't realize I was battling before I started was making sure I got enough protein. It's amazing when you look at your plate and really see the protein/carb/veg ratio....

Hmm, let me weigh in (haha) on this issue. I have currently been working for the past few years as a personal trainer, was a college, and all that jazz. I will give you some advice based on what I see most people do wrong in their fitness routine

1). Someone already mentioned this earlier but cardio AND strength training are important. Cardio is for what it sounds like... cardiovascular health which includes your heart and internal organs. You want to keep these things healthy so to avoid things such as heart disease, respiratory problems, and the like. Strength training is for your exterior: mainly muscle to fat ratio. This is your overall fitness level and what is responsible for weight control. Strength training does not mean you will get bulky (women assume this all the time) there are many different types of resistance training you can do to achieve your specific goals.

2). You do not have to spend a long time in the gym. It is actually better if you don't. The training sessions I instruct currently are 30 minutes. It is 30 minutes of continuous exercise with very little rest time. It is better to do something of high intensity for 30 minutes than to spend 2 hours with a lot of breaks inbetween. Keeping your heart rate up will help you get the most out of what you are doing.

3). DO NOT DO THE SAME THING EVERY WEEK. Someone already mentioned this, but it is pertinent. There are people who come into the gym and do the same thing so often I could do their whole routine for them. If you do the same thing, it no longer is a workout. Your body adjusts to things and they get easier and will not have much of an effect on you. Change it up, do different things.

4). Machines are not that useful. Most gyms have a bunch of equipment where you sit down and move one body part. You are not going to get much from just doing these sorts of exercises. You are letting a machine do too much of the work for you. Doing the same motion with free weights will give you a better workout and is more practical. Free weights increase coordination, balance, and body control. Those are all things we can use on a daily basis.

5). Core strength is number one. Core involves not just your abs but also your back, sides, and hip flexors. Your body revolves around your core. Do not neglect it. This is extremely important for us graduate students who spend a lot of time reading and sitting at a desk. Increasing your core strength gives you better posture and prevents a lot of back problems. Get your ab and back exercises going on a daily basis. Abs do not need as much time to recover as other muscles so you can do them 5 days a week.

6). Stretch AFTER you workout, not before. You are going to do weight training do some cardio to warm up your muscles before hand. You don't need to do much static stretching (standing still stuff) before you exercise. It won't do much for you. It is most important to stretch once you are finished working out. When you are exercising, your muscles warm up and expand (you can feel the thermal energy in your body that is what makes us hot and sweaty ;) ) and when you return to a resting state you cool down and your muscles contract. Right after a work out, your muscles are warm and are most elastic, stretching them before the cool down stage will help them remain more elastic when they go into the tightening stage. This prevents muscle injuries and soreness.

7). Exercise doesn't take your energy, it creates it! Keeping active will give you more energy for the rest of the day and increases endorphins released through your body. You are going to need all the energy you can get with studying and school work.

8). Most importantly, do something you enjoy and have fun! Do not think of exercising as some awful chore you have to do. Find something you like to do, work out with someone whose company you enjoy, and mix things up.

Best of luck to everyone, and let me know if you have any questions.

I agree with everything posted above except for "It is better to do something of high intensity for 30 minutes than to spend 2 hours with a lot of breaks in between" ... that statement should come with a disclaimer.

It totally depends. For example, if I am working my compound exercises like squats, benches, deads, etc. I want to have proper time in between sets for rest. I don't want to super set in between my compounds (not unless I am intermediate or an advanced lifter, and even then it's touch and go). So for example, it is recommended when you bench (and doing it for strength not hypertrophy) you take somewhere between 2-4 minutes rest between sets for proper muscle growth (I am forgetting the exact word to use here, so close enough).

In the end there is nothing wrong with doing a high intensity workout for 30 minutes as that there are many benefits to it, however as usual, one must understand what they can get out of it compared to other types of workouts.