The truth about living off of your Stipend

sonnyday

With the offers that I have, I am trying to decide how much is actually necessary to survive comfortably.

The first is 20,000 stipend at Rutgers in New Brunswick, NJ. (this seems fair from what I have seen; rent is pretty similar to MD)

The second is 14,000 at U of Maryland in College Park, MD. (mad expensive COL, and this just doesn't seem to be enough to live off of at all)

So, that being said, what stipend or fellowship did you receive to attend a doctoral program? Is it enough to adequately cover you and in what city? Can you give a quick breakdown of your expenses, and are you able to save money? Do you have to work part-time (secretly)?

I have no answers, but am wondering about College Park myself. I also currently live in the area, and was offered a stipend similar to yours. Personally, I don't see how it will be possible to live off that. I have an SO who will be moving to the area, and may not immediately find a job. I expect to pay $1000 for an apartment, 2 bedroom if I'm lucky. Also, I will need a car for College Park (currently live in the District, none needed). I honestly don't see it working unless I get a job every summer. Possible, but still depressing to think of what a struggle it will be.

That is exactly how I am feeling.

My husband is finishing his BA now (due in May) but we're not sure that he will be able to find a job if he does not get accepted (he is also applying in Econ). I am working in DC and living in Baltimore, but I am pretty sure that $1000 for an apartment would be a GREAT deal and probably a bit of a reach. Plus from what I hear from students at College Park, there is a housing shortage and the upperclassmen/grads are the first to have to leave and find off-campus housing, which they do not provide. A two-bedroom apartment in Greenbelt (just about 10 miles away) runs about $1300.

The only thing holding me back is that College Park may have a better reputation than Rutgers. But not sure if the struggle is worth it... Hopefully, some others with a better idea will reply.

Cool to think we may possibly be classmates soon :-)

Wow, looks like I was underestimating the cost of an apartment. I may soon be in your boat regarding having to choose between offers (at least I hope so!), and like you, I am wondering about the relative reputations of the two schools and what that will mean in the long term. Also advisor fit, possibilities for internships or work during summer (if I remain in the DC area), keeping up professional contacts if I stay vs. if I go, etc. etc. etc. Sort of counting my chickens before they hatch, but I have to say the financials will be a major part of my decision...if I do indeed end up with a decision to make :D .

Is your husband also applying to College Park and Rutgers?

Is your husband also applying to College Park and Rutgers?

Yep, we are still awaiting on his decisions. His deadlines were later. That will also determine which program we decide on, although he is willing to relocate with me and work if necessary and re-apply later.

Hi everyone,

I believe it all depends on the COL for each state, area and city.

I got offered a stipend of 20,555 USD by the University of Missouri and I have been told that COL in Columbia, MO is not that expensive so I guess I should be alright... although I will probably have to buy a 2nd-hand car with my savings...

Hope this helps,

Cheers

I was offered a stipend of 19,000 from Brown in Rhode Island -

but being an international student, I can't really grasp if that is enough or if I'll be needing more...

Does anybody know?

That should be cool in Providence. I did my undergrad there, and Prov is a town that runs the gamut from cheap to expensive, especially around campus where you can find decent-to-GREAT housing and food for relatively good prices.

Don't know where you'll be coming from, but the BIG investment you'll want to make will probably be for your winter coat! It can get pretty chilly here in jan and feb.

I'll actually miss Prov; hope you like it!

(And there are GREAT people in the history department--that was my department!)

GG

I was offered a stipend of 19,000 from Brown in Rhode Island -

but being an international student, I can't really grasp if that is enough or if I'll be needing more...

Does anybody know?

That should be cool in Providence. I did my undergrad there, and Prov is a town that runs the gamut from cheap to expensive, especially around campus where you can find decent-to-GREAT housing and food for relatively good prices.

Don't know where you'll be coming from, but the BIG investment you'll want to make will probably be for your winter coat! It can get pretty chilly here in jan and feb.

I actually really miss Prov, which has some great things about it; hope you like it!

(And there are GREAT people in the history department--that was my department!)

GG

How realistic is $14,000 in Minneapolis, MN?

Unrealistic at all. As I am going to attend there, I figured out that a single student would need around 17500$ per annum (at least).

p.s., I will be attending with my family (two lovely kids + wife) and that would cost around 30,000$ per annum (roughly). the school will pay me around (21,000-tax) per annum and I should manage the rest.

I think 14k is enough to live on in Minneapolis if you look around for apartments. You don't need to live right by campus, the bus system isn't bad there.

I grew up in Minneapolis and I can tell you that the price of apartments really varies depending on where you live. I suggest looking in South Minneapolis. There are plenty of apartments there right on the bus routes.

It also depends on how well off you are used to living. I expect to penny pinch while I'm a grad student, but if you are from a well of family this may be a new thing for you. But I certainly wouldn't toss an offer from there based on that money.

I am in Canada, so the numbers probably wouldn't help you much ...

I am a greedy guts though and am working (not so) secretly ...I teach at a community college 2 days a week right now... hoping to be able to finagle a way to keep doing it through my Phd studies as well but it's not looking so good.

• 2 weeks later...

no problem. we've got to share the wealth in these forums. so many grad. school questions were answered here online and not when visiting programs campuses [campi!] or through skimming the program sites.

scary in your case?

will you be attending one of the schools with a red stipend?

I'm so glad someone brought up this subject. The stipend issue really has me worried about accepting some of the offers I've received. Specifically, how far will a stipend of 20,500$ get me in Boston/Cambridge? Are 22K enough for LA and NYC? As an international, I am finding it very hard to estimate the cost of living in different US cities.

I'm so glad someone brought up this subject. The stipend issue really has me worried about accepting some of the offers I've received. Specifically, how far will a stipend of 20,500$ get me in Boston/Cambridge? Are 22K enough for LA and NYC? As an international, I am finding it very hard to estimate the cost of living in different US cities.

A few of my friends have got into USC with a 23K stipend and they say that they would end up saving about around $500 per month if they don't try to live a luxurious life. My guess is 22K should do just fine in LA if you are planning to support only yourself on the stipend. I have a friend in USC who lived on a $950 (after taxes) monthly stipend for a year because he had got only a 25% TAship. So don't worry about the money, I think you have got decent offers from all these places (check about NYC though) so that you can decide based solely on what might be the best research fit. Good luck!

You won't live in luxury, but you should make out okay if you live with roommates. I lived in Brookline (city very close to Boston) and lived on a $31k salary. My rent was $780/mo, bills ~$70/mo.