MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

I have some waitlist questions maybe someone can help with? I already emailed the department head and the person that interviewed me that I was still very much interested, asked what I could improve upon or what I was missing for not being accepted but almost there in waiting limbo. Received the message back of nothing was wrong, just other people were better fit but I shouldn't count myself out yet. No real word on when abouts I will know and I'm not sure how to ask 'how long?!' I do know its a very short wait list and very few people accepted. How often should I send reminder messages to be like 'hey I'm still here! I want you!'? I know its a lot of waiting for an answer but I don't want to be silently waiting, that seems like it'd be detrimental to my hopeful acceptance.

You did everything you could do already.  Now you just need to wait.  Remember that time goes by slowly when you are waiting for something.  It probably is moving at normal speed or fast speed to them, so if you keep contacting them, it probably would be very annoying.  

Also, keep in mind that people who applied there also applied to other schools and are waiting to hear back.  So as the rest of the schools give their notifications, then the students will decide.  Once everyone on this forum has heard back from all their schools, (and decided on a school) then most likely people at your school will start notifying them as well.  

This is true. I guess a lot of it depends on the type of Performance that students want to create. I'm seeing a lot of similarity between my work and the work the some of the SFAI faculty create (Jennifer Locke, mostly). But yes, SAIC does have an incredible reputation, and I'm already noticing how much attention they give to their students. I haven't even enrolled at SAIC yet, but Mark Jeffery has already been so amazing and helpful.

I certainly understand being drawn to specific faculty work. For me, it was a lot more about the peer group than the faculty, since those are the relationships that you hope to work with into the future. There has definitely been work coming out of SAIC in the last few years that is very compelling to me. That was one of my major requirements in choosing schools to apply to, actually.

Also, Mark Jeffreys is amazing. I just visited the school last weekend and he was unbelievably helpful. Tons of energy and a great connection to the Chicago art scene - as well as to alumni communities around the country.

I have some waitlist questions maybe someone can help with? I already emailed the department head and the person that interviewed me that I was still very much interested, asked what I could improve upon or what I was missing for not being accepted but almost there in waiting limbo. Received the message back of nothing was wrong, just other people were better fit but I shouldn't count myself out yet. No real word on when abouts I will know and I'm not sure how to ask 'how long?!' I do know its a very short wait list and very few people accepted. How often should I send reminder messages to be like 'hey I'm still here! I want you!'? I know its a lot of waiting for an answer but I don't want to be silently waiting, that seems like it'd be detrimental to my hopeful acceptance.

I wouldn't stress too much about it right now. Patience is key. 

Oregon wants to hear back from the people they've accepted by April 15, so I'd expect that they might be able to move on waitlisted people closer to April. You just got notified about being waitlisted, which means they just told people of acceptances too. Some of the letters are probably still in the mail!

I certainly understand being drawn to specific faculty work. For me, it was a lot more about the peer group than the faculty, since those are the relationships that you hope to work with into the future. There has definitely been work coming out of SAIC in the last few years that is very compelling to me. That was one of my major requirements in choosing schools to apply to, actually.

Also, Mark Jeffreys is amazing. I just visited the school last weekend and he was unbelievably helpful. Tons of energy and a great connection to the Chicago art scene - as well as to alumni communities around the country.

Mark is absolutely amazing! He and I have been in contact so much over the past few days/weeks. I can't believe that he has enough time to do everything that he does. I'm supposedly going to hear back from both schools about grants, financial aid, and scholarships (from SFAI, I didn't get anything from SAIC...which is sad). I'm hoping funding will be similar for the two schools, but something tells me that it won't be...  <_<

Just got rejected from University at Buffalo... the one school I thought was fairly safe. Oh well.

I'm guessing NYU Steinhardt won't accept me if they didn't, so I'm trying to focus my manic energy into figuring out moving to NYC/State immediately after graduating this May with a BFA. Will try again next year!

She didnt actually say she "disliked" the other pieces. If I remember correctly, she said she really enjoyed one of the pieces because, unlike the rest, that one wasn't as literal. I guess in my mind I took it as she disliked the others. 

I'm leaning towards Massart, but SMFA seemed to really emphasize the fact that they give a lot of opportunities to their grad alumni. One of the admission tour guides said he didnt apply to Massart because they basically spit out their students once you have graduated, not really creating a lasting relationship with them. Of course, his opinion is probably super biased. 

Facilities have never been a big issue to me, I've primarily worked at home on my own, but I am interested in Massart's pouring and weaving facilities. Do you feel as if Massart's program is well rounded between technique and contemporary art theory/criticism? 

Both schools seem wonderful, but it was a little hard to take SMFA seriously. Their entire interview day felt like a wine and dine experience, it was impossible to figure out how much of it was genuine. Thank you for such an informative post :)

Not that I am an authority on this at all, but *I* do think SMFA is the best in Boston. Its relationships with Tufts and the MFA are very, very hard to beat, in my opinion. MassArt might be an excellent art school but according to my understanding if you are looking to develop conceptually and academically, and to form lasting relationships, SMFA is better. I, for one, only applied to the SMFA in the Boston area, because I have worked with multiple amazing artists who have come out from there and have come across basically no one from MassArt throughout my 4+ years in the area. Of course, that may just be by circumstance and may be my own fault. Anyway, SMFA would be my top choice if I were eager to return to Boston.

Edited by Lightswitch

Both seemed like great programs, Massarts facilities were absolutely amazing, while SMFA's were extremely lacking in comparison (no 3D printer, no study abroad programs, aside from the Germany exchange, and no pouring facilities). SMFA seemed very focused on continuing a relationship with their alumni which is a plus. Honestly, it was learn more about their program (given the 8:30-5:00 interview day), so I emailed a few of the 3d faculty at Massart with my concerns and have scheduled a second tour of the facilities. They both seem like great schools, each with their own pros and cons. I havent been able to see what makes SMFA more conceptually driven and I've only heard that they were from people who went to their interviews or from SMFA  faculty. 

Academically shouldn't really matter either way, considering if I were at Massart, I can take classes as SMFA, MIT, BU, Harvard, etc. and vice versa with SMFA. The main difference for me is the tuition (Massart  is 22,000 a year and SMFA is 37,000). Both seem like amazing schools and I'd be happy to go to either. If I go to Massart, I plan on taking at least one contemporary art theory class at SMFA and I've exchanged numbers and emails with a few people interviewing there, so I plan to keep in touch, especially if they end up going to SMFA. 

One thing that surprised me was that is seemed like many of the SMFA students didn't take advantage of opportunities to involve themselves with Boston's art community, same with Massart. It also seemed as if the schools didn't want to mingle with one another socially, which I think is absolutely silly. 

Also, did we happen to meet at SMFA? 

Edit: Also, it may sound like im discrediting SMFA, when in fact, I'm not trying to. It seems like I've been able to get SMFA vs Massart opinions from people who are a student or faculty member of SMFA. It'll be nice to hear from student/faculty opinion  from massart, but I'm also going to talk to my old professors and get their opinions. For all we know, I could be rejected from SMFA (its actually what I'm expecting), but I am pretty torn about which school I'd rather go to. One thing I really didn't like about SMFA was I wasn't very impressed with the majority of the students work, I was also disappointed to see a lack of a lot of sculpture work within the studios, but that just may have been due to the studio size. Other  sculptor interviewees that I spoke to felt the same way as I did in that regards (in terms of the students work). 

Edited by ArsenicYellow

When I was on a waitlist last year I was told that most programs don't make a numbered list because they're trying to build a program.  After they know who has accepted/declined their original offers a school will look at the alternates to decide who will be the best fit within that group.  Usually I think this happens within a week or two after the schools deadline for students to accept/decline offers, so if you don't get an offer by then the chances of getting in off of a waitlist go down considerably.  It still is technically possible, as people who already accepted the school's offer might get accepted off another schools waitlist, but I think once people have paid a deposit their less likely to switch.  If you haven't heard anything by the end of April/ early May it's time to start making other plans.  A good program will hopefully update you as all of this unfolds, last year I emailed when they started reviewing waitlisted applicants and when all of the original spots had been filled.  I wasn't technically taken off the list until August, but that let me know when the odds of getting in changed.

If there's not a set order for the alternates I think you should step lightly because this time of year is stressful for people who work admissions as well and too many emails/phone calls could work against you.  That said I think an email around April 15th saying the school would be your first choice and thanks for their continued consideration might help, since some of the other people on the waitlist will have probably taken other schools offers by then.

So I got ahold of UCLA by phone. Caron Cronin said hopefully all the decisions should be going out by the end of this week. 

This is comforting/vomit inducing as I'll actually be flying out to LA the middle of the week. 

Yes, April 15th is the required date to accept an offer (assuming most offers have some financial support attached) at most grad schools, especially public ones.  If they are on the council of graduate schools, they are supposed to abide by the April 15th deadline.  Many private art schools aren't in the Council.

http://www.cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

There is a list of member schools in the link here.

Edited by michaelwebster

In response to your question regarding theory at Massart, Arsenic, I don't know enough to say.

I agree with lightswitch in that I rarely came across Massart graduates in Boston, though it seems reasonable that many of those already living in MA, attending school in-state, would stay and work there. So perhaps the SMFA presence was only more salient due to personal relevance... still, from my experience SMFA is well connected within the local art scene.

True that the school communities are separate and mostly insular, but not antagonistic towards each other, I don't think. I lived with Massart students and in turn attended shows, events, etc that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And while cross-registration at other schools is possible, it involves lots more effort to orchestrate - so I maintain that the SMFA/Tufts partnership offers a greater breadth of academic courses easily accessible to students. But if you'll be in the studio all the time and are happy with Massart's offerings (which are certainly solid), this disparity doesn't matter. 

As for the quality of mfa student work, yeah, it varied. The good stuff was pretty fucking good, though. Also, I think SMFA likes taking students who come from other fields of study, which sometimes means their work is less developed coming in. I don't know if SMFA is *more* conceptually driven, only that it is *invariably* conceptually driven. Given your stated interests and concerns, I feel Massart would be a better fit for you. 

has anyone heard from VCU photo? it will be 2 weeks since my interview tomorrow and I'm getting anxious! the more time that goes by the more I think it's a rejection but I guess there's still hope if no one has heard?

got a waitlist letter from RISD today!  its a good feeling to know that my application didn't get trashed right away...even if I don't get into any programs this year, at least i have a small shot of confidence to build on for next fall...still waiting on Colorado state in Fort Collins...anyone know anything about the printmaking program there?  I applied because I liked the faculty work an the facilities seemed really nice, havn't heard of anyone else applying there for printmaking though.  

Madison-rejection

U of Minnesota-rejection

ASU-rejection

SAIC-rejection

RISD-WAITLISTED

CSU-still waiting

Hi!

Just got accepted to SVA through email!

Does anyone know about scholarship opportunities there?

Anything about the school?

Thank-you!

Congrats!Which program have you applied for?

I got info from Risd that I've been wait listed but hopefully I will have my chance to go... The wait will be long but worth it!

Good luck! Waitlists adds to the torture of waiting, but is gratifying in knowing that your application was chosen nonetheless, so congrats!

I found out I got into School of Visual Arts today via email!

One thing I don't like about this forum is that anyone who doesn't get an interview request assumes that they didn't get in to the program. I came on this forum looking for answers when I was anxious about graduate schools, and when I saw that people were already interviewed for Ohio State, some wait-listed, and I assumed I was rejected, but guess what I got in, with a GTA award and tuition waiver. I also was not interviewed at SVA, straight up got in with no warning.

So keep your heads up my friends!

Umm, wouldn't you instead not like the applicants attitude, rather than the forum itself?

But for real, I am sure glad you stalked this forum for probably months and decided to give us your two cents after you 'got something' so you would feel inferior to the rest of us, dick!

Have a great time either A, living in dumptown Ohio and letting your 'free ride' take you nowhere or B, paying with your asshole at SVA where ultimately - even when trying to buy your way in - you will end up with a masters in serving cafe mochas. This will be fitting because most likely, anything you produce, will never make outside the walls of your place of employment. Unless, you throw it to the curb, where it will better be served as a urinal for some stray animal.

<3

Umm, wouldn't you instead not like the applicants attitude, rather than the forum itself? But for real, I am sure glad you stalked this forum for probably months and decided to give us your two cents after you 'got something' so you would feel inferior to the rest of us, dick! Have a great time either A, living in dumptown Ohio and letting your 'free ride' take you nowhere or B, paying with your asshole at SVA where ultimately - even when trying to buy your way in - you will end up with a masters in serving cafe mochas. This will be fitting because most likely, anything you produce, will never make outside the walls of your place of employment. Unless, you throw it to the curb, where it will better be served as a urinal for some stray animal. <3
He's offering a word of hope to those of us who are praying, while you're just being rude. instead of trying to antagonize people, why don't you offer something that's actually helpful?

I found out I got into School of Visual Arts today via email!

One thing I don't like about this forum is that anyone who doesn't get an interview request assumes that they didn't get in to the program.  I came on this forum looking for answers when I was anxious about graduate schools, and when I saw that people were already interviewed for Ohio State, some wait-listed, and I assumed I was rejected, but guess what I got in, with a GTA award and tuition waiver. I also was not interviewed at SVA, straight up got in with no warning.  

So keep your heads up my friends! 

congratz!

one question, were interviews required for Ohio State and SVA?

because in my case, when school A says on their website they will interview the finalists and I heard nothing yet, it would be logical to assume it is a rejection for me?