MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Has anyone heard back yet for SAIC painting?

Nope. I think they're on spring break this week so hopefully we'll hear back next week....

I'm going to visit tomorrow so I'm excited to see it all for myself. In the meantime, I was also just accepted to SAIC! No word on funding yet, but I am definitely leaning towards going there. I'm weighing the option of A. staying in LA for my MFA at Art Center, which will certainly open up more opportunities here with such an amazing faculty, or B. going to Chicago, which is a very prestigious program but more removed from where I would be trying to build a life, since I would most likely move back to LA afterwards. Thoughts on the benefits of location v. prestige? (Not saying the Art Center isn't prestigious, because it is, but SAIC is certainly a bigger name.) Anyway, hopefully you get my point. 

I was also just rejected from UCLA, which I'm trying to ignore, ha. 

Which program were you accepted to at SAIC?

Do you, or anyone else, know when SMFA plans to send notifications out?

A friend was notified today via phone from smfa. She's in the performing artist department so they are probably still calling for the other departments. The paper from interview day said we'd be notified in a week, so by Sunday we'll find out for sure.

Im pretty sure I'm getting rejected, and even if I am accepted, I couldn't afford it. I still want to take a couple of classes there! Hope you get in!!!! Did we meet during the interview day?

Nope. I think they're on spring break this week so hopefully we'll hear back next week....

My best friend got a call for SAIC MFA Painting today. But I'm not losing hope yet. I called them and they said they sent out letters a couple days ago.

My best friend got a call for SAIC MFA Painting today. But I'm not losing hope yet. I called them and they said they sent out letters a couple days ago.

Ugh, not what I wanted to hear...Did anyone get a call from SAIC Fibers?

I had 2 interviews with Pratt for the MFA Communication Design a few weeks ago, and got my acceptance through e-mail on Monday. My guess is they should be finished sending letters out soon.

I'm a longtime lurker so I figure it's about time I set up an account and actually contribute to the discussion, particularly since I have some Pratt MFA Communication Design info. I heard from Jeff Bellantoni (the department chair) today and he said that the official letters of acceptance should go out tomorrow (I think they're sending them via snail mail). I received an early admission email as well, but to those who didn't you shouldn't necessarily freak out... I only had one interview, as opposed to jljr07's two, and I got my email last week so it doesn't sound like the admissions process is exactly the same for everyone. Fingers crossed for everyone who's waiting to hear back!

Thanks!! Really useful info.

So U-Penn posted letters today.. I expected a rejection, but hadn't checked it yet because I wasn't at a computer and didn't remember my sign-in PIN. And then I got an email from SVA NY saying I had been accepted! :D 

I was super happy for a while because I thought the interview had been a little awkward, but yeah.

I just came to my computer and saw that I'd gotten rejected from U-Penn.

Still happy about SVA though!

So this afternoon I a LOVELY call from RISD, saying I was ACCEPTED... ecstatic. I will find out about funds next week! But first acceptance! It feels really good! 

Nice to hear there's still good news for others out there too! 

Edited by relentlesslemons

A suggestion...if you find obvious spam, very repetitive or repeated extremely objectionable posts on the forum, may i suggest reporting them to the moderators and administrators of the forum rather than making posts in the threads directed at the member who probably won't even read them.

Go to the poster's profile and the post in question and click report member. Explain the reason for the report. The moderators will then take the action that they feel necessary and appropriate. They are very busy people and can't find everything. We have to help them. Let's keep the great stuff happening in here!

Edited by flow

I just got wait listed at Cornell the other day by email, but I haven't had a chance to check out the campus. If anyone has been there, could they tell me what they thought of the sculpture faculty/facilities? Thanks   

Got an email tuesday from SAIC notifying me of my financial aid award letter being mailed, but no Acceptance letter or call. Not sure what this means. 

From what I understand, the aid is not department-specific. I was accepted to a program already, so I can't tell you what the lack of acceptance or call means, however.

I didn't get an email telling me aid info is in the mail, but I contacted admissions about the issue (deadlines are an issue for me), and they said to expect it either this week or next.

Drelavie, thanks for your thoughts on the subject. It's true that we tend to choose schools here based on the school itself rather than on the teacher. I know the vision in Germany was very different when I was speaking to students who were looking more for faculty first, school second.

However, I would not only get information on the artist's work, but try to get feedback from students, and ideally meet or talk to the person you're interested in working with to see how they are as teachers as well. The best artist might be a lousy teacher, and a less know artist might turn out to be the best teacher you'll ever have. (Although in my opinion studio art teachers should be practicing artists)

I just got wait listed at Cornell the other day by email, but I haven't had a chance to check out the campus. If anyone has been there, could they tell me what they thought of the sculpture faculty/facilities? Thanks

Hey! I went to the Cornell campus, it's really beautiful - got a real Ivy League school feel (like from the movies) and big gorges with waterfalls tucked away. I'm almost positive I'll be going there next year. Just waiting on hearing from RISD first. They have the Rand Fabrication Hall with 3d printers, laser cutters, a great woodshop & I believe welding. It's huge & I think really geared towards the architecture students. There are one or two kilns in the shop but no real ceramics department. There's a foundry which is temporarily closed for renovations so I didn't see it.

I just emailed with Carl & he said they got funding to bring in 6 high profile artists over the next 6 semesters and are also working on hiring 2 new faculty. They're really friendly over there so you might want to email with specific questions about sculpture!

So this afternoon I a LOVELY call from RISD, saying I was ACCEPTED... ecstatic. I will find out about funds next week! But first acceptance! It feels really good!

Nice to hear there's still good news for others out there too!

Congratulations!! Can I ask which department this is for?

Interview at cranbrook for 2d design in 1.5 hours eating breakfast now. Really nervous and excited. Couldn't really sleep last night ahhhh!

I was there just yesterday! The place is really idyllic, and everyone is really friendly.

Hey! I went to the Cornell campus, it's really beautiful - got a real Ivy League school feel (like from the movies) and big gorges with waterfalls tucked away. I'm almost positive I'll be going there next year. Just waiting on hearing from RISD first. They have the Rand Fabrication Hall with 3d printers, laser cutters, a great woodshop & I believe welding. It's huge & I think really geared towards the architecture students. There are one or two kilns in the shop but no real ceramics department. There's a foundry which is temporarily closed for renovations so I didn't see it.

I just emailed with Carl & he said they got funding to bring in 6 high profile artists over the next 6 semesters and are also working on hiring 2 new faculty. They're really friendly over there so you might want to email with specific questions about sculpture!

Thanks Maxine. good luck with RISD.