NSF GRFP 2012-2013

Robin G. Walker

Didn't get it. Like budgie it was my first year applying as an UG. Hopefully better luck next year!

VG/G

E/VG

Out of curiosity - did anyone else get called out for having their references all from the same institution? I just thought that was weird... I mean I know some people outside of my UG institution, but yes, the 3 people who know me best are all at the same place!

Hey all!

Been following this thread for a few weeks now.  I made Honorable Mention in 2012, but got failed for consideration in 2013 based on one review.

2012: VG/E, G/E, VG/E  (Intellectual Merit, Broader Impacts)

2013: G/E, VG/E (one reviewer argues with my methodology and data collection then calls the project 'very impressive' and 'first-rate' and gave me a Good in IM.  Makes no reference to my prior work, writings, awards, or presentations given.)

Strange times.  As always, the reviewers contradict each other.  One calls the methodology very risky.  The other calls it well-adapted.  It's like improvements based on comments and reviews from 2012 helped me in no way for 2013.  Suggests that this is much more about the disposition of the reviewer and their interest in the project then in the qualities of the student.

As a second year, I'm out. Oh well, it was a good try and at least no one said my whole application and project are crap  :D I'm going to call it a win and get my ass working on my qualifying exam.

edit *I found my email in my spam folder as well*

I didn't get it again. Same comments as last year.  Excellent Broader Impact. Very good on Proposal. I got the same negative comment: "The applicant's academic background is not competitive within the given applicant pool" Sigh.  I really thought grades weren't supposed to matter anymore. Oh well. Congrats to everyone who got it!!

I got a similar comment. My undergraduate academic background essentially is crap, but is expected give [X things I wrote about why my UG sucked]. Then I got that my graduate career is fabulous. I ended up with VG/VG G/E ... I was just hoping that my undergraduate grades (which are from 7 years ago) would be out weighed by my two papers, 5 years of research experience before grad school, and good letters. 

Such is life!

Congrats to all who got it. Man, some things seem to be really arbitrary - VG/E and G/G, and didn't get a 3rd review. Ah well, one more shot...

I didn't get a third either, and it seems that applications with "worse" "scores" than my did. But I'm going to guess that it has to do with which discipline you applied to. G'luck next year!! 

Congrats again to everyone, G'luck to those applying next year, and to those who are out of the game ... there are always other fellowships to apply for  :rolleyes:

Edited by -Star-

I have been stalking this forum for the past several months, but I would like to share my results: Awarded!! ^_^ (Im ecstatic!) Senior Undergrad E/E VG/VG E/VG Quick Question: I have submitted a request to change my proposed program. How long will it take to be approved? I'm just super nervous about anything going wrong during this process and am still in total disbelief and don't wont to go back to sleep in case I wake up and realize none of this happened!! Congrats to all other successful applicants! ^_^

E/VG E/E E/VG E/E and awarded (Tried last year and didn't receive anything so did a major overhaul taking reviewer comments seriously). Still havent found my email spam folder or not (and my email is correct on my account)... Anyone else having this problem?

VG/VG

VG/VG

E/VG

Apparently my Broader Impacts weren't quite as strong as they would have liked.

Honorable Mention

*edit: check your spam folder if you haven't received the email, that's where I found mine!

Edited by apisregina

From the site:

If you did not receive a notification, please e-mail info@nsfgrfp.org from the e-mail address associated with your FastLane GRFP application, and include your name, applicant ID number, and primary mailing address.

Maybe there were a few issues sending everything out.

I have been stalking this forum for the past several months, but I would like to share my results: Awarded!! ^_^ (Im ecstatic!) Senior Undergrad E/E VG/VG E/VG Quick Question: I have submitted a request to change my proposed program. How long will it take to be approved? I'm just super nervous about anything going wrong during this process and am still in total disbelief and don't wont to go back to sleep in case I wake up and realize none of this happened!! Congrats to all other successful applicants! ^_^

Congrats! Question for you - how do you request to change the proposed program?

Congrats! Question for you - how do you request to change the proposed program?

I don't think you can change that, but when you confirm you've accepted the award, you put in the school you're accepted at and going to.  I noticed people have already accepted the award and their proposed program is different than their current program.

I've also been stalking this page for weeks but wanted to share: E/E, VG/VG, E,E and awarded! I'm in my first year of grad school and it's my first time applying. I had a pretty strong publication record and quite a bit of research experience. The second reviewer was by far the most critical, especially on broader impacts. Actually, considering what s/he said, I'm shocked at the VG/VG. Go figure!

Awarded! E/E, E/E, E/VG.  :)

Question: How do I change my proposed institution? I got rejected from the place I put down and will be attending another school.

Congrats!  I just asked the same question, haha. Once you accept the offer, when you declare your tenure plans, one of the sections asks you to confirm you field of study and organization/institution, which is where you can change it. (You can't change the "proposed institution" on the awards list though, since it is generated based on the application.)

From the site:

If you did not receive a notification, please e-mail info@nsfgrfp.org from the e-mail address associated with your FastLane GRFP application, and include your name, applicant ID number, and primary mailing address.

Maybe there were a few issues sending everything out.

Thanks for this! I sent them an email and got reply after about a half an hour with the official email notification!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows whether our recommenders are notified? Also will they have access to our reviews? Thanks!

No, they aren't notified. If you want them to know you'll have to download your score page and send em yourself.