NSF GRFP 2012-2013

Robin G. Walker

Ugh I hate to be this person, but did the advisory say 5am last year too?

Based on earlier posts, it sounds like it was exactly the same as the one we're seeing right now. Since this is my first year applying, though, I can't confirm that for sure.

Also, I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com and completely freaked out until I saw the sender.

I didn't get it again. Same comments as last year.  Excellent Broader Impact. Very good on Proposal. I got the same negative comment: "The applicant's academic background is not competitive within the given applicant pool" Sigh.  I really thought grades weren't supposed to matter anymore. Oh well. Congrats to everyone who got it!!

Well, to make the rest of you feel better, didn't get it.

VG/E G/G G/G

I think the main thing was my lack of publications... The first guy doesn't seem to mind, the middle guy doesn't seem to mind that either but.. doesn't have any advice either way, basically tells me to continue my efforts, and the last guy didn't think my application provides evidence of my ability to independently solve problems or communicate my research.

:/ Could be worse; hopefully, I will have a better application next year because of the research I'm doing this year!

Congratulations to the new fellows/HM'ers!

I also had a fourth review, and managed to be offered the award. Does anyone know when they give a fourth review?

1. E/E

2. VG/E

3. F/F

4. E/E

I applied from a small field, with the second reviewer noting that "people in his field" seem to like the proposal. The third reviewer hated it and I imagine was not in my field either. The other three seemed to have read it carefully and given thoughtful comments. Extremely lucky that my application wasn't ended by the F/F.

Shows how random this process can be, unfortunately. 

got it. first time applying, but also a first year grad student. E/E E/E VG/E

pretty surprised since i didn't have publications. congrats/good luck to everyone. now if i can somehow fall asleep before having to go to the airport in two hours...