Applying for Fall 2013

musichistorygeek

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, all -- 

I applied to the following schools last year for musicology.  If any of you are applying to them and have questions about their applications or whatever, just let me know - I may be able to help! 

UPenn 

Columbia 

Yale 

Cornell 

Harvard 

Princeton 

Berkeley 
Stanford 

Michigan 

Indiana interview notifications are out, as well.

Notifications from the University of Michigan are coming out, too.

Edited by run_kmc

Is there anyone here want to apply NYU's film scoring, I only apply this one, and so nerverous now.

Take slow, deep breaths.  Everything will be fine.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just found this forum. I applied for Musicology PhD programs and was rejected to Indiana, invited to interview at Northwestern, and am still waiting on word from Stanford, CU, and Brandeis. This is indeed a nerve-wracking process and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Hi everyone, just found this forum. I applied for Musicology PhD programs and was rejected to Indiana, invited to interview at Northwestern, and am still waiting on word from Stanford, CU, and Brandeis. This is indeed a nerve-wracking process and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Hi!  If it helps at all, I heard from Stanford last year on 25 Jan.  Good luck!! :) 

My PhD Musicology applications were submitted as complete (GRE scores, recommendation letters, writing samples, etc.) as of an hour ago. Now comes the hard part: waiting.

What are some of the schools you applied to?

Hi everyone! So great to see a little pocket of musicologists/ theorists/ composers on this site! And we have our own personal guide (Karajan) to the application process (thank you!). I hope that together we will be able to endure the stress of waiting, console each other, and celebrate together! I didn't know what I was going to do while playing the wait game, but if you will all allow it I think this will be my therapy! Here's to hearing soon!

For those who have a Ph.D interview(s) ahead (or who had interviews in previous seasons), what are you doing to prepare for that? Especially if it's not a long one. (within 30 minutes)  :huh:

Make sure you can intelligently discuss the desired course of your research and how University X would be a good fit. You should also familiarize yourself with recent scholarship of the faculty. I have a Northwestern interview and I am familiar with the writings of one faculty member in particular, so I will make sure to bone up on the work of the other faculty before I visit. I'll be at Northwestern from Feb. 14-16, and I'm not quite sure what to expect from a 3 day "interview". I imagine it will be a mixture of interviews, meetings with faculty and current students, sitting in on classes, and perhaps a social event or two. It's an extended visit and they are paying for everything, including my flight. Surely that's a good sign, right? Does anyone have a sense of how competitive it remains at this stage? I would welcome any general interview advice from those who have gone through this already. Should I expect any diagnostic exams during this visit? Do I need to dust off my solfege?

Make sure you can intelligently discuss the desired course of your research and how University X would be a good fit. You should also familiarize yourself with recent scholarship of the faculty. I have a Northwestern interview and I am familiar with the writings of one faculty member in particular, so I will make sure to bone up on the work of the other faculty before I visit. I'll be at Northwestern from Feb. 14-16, and I'm not quite sure what to expect from a 3 day "interview". I imagine it will be a mixture of interviews, meetings with faculty and current students, sitting in on classes, and perhaps a social event or two. It's an extended visit and they are paying for everything, including my flight. Surely that's a good sign, right? Does anyone have a sense of how competitive it remains at this stage? I would welcome any general interview advice from those who have gone through this already. Should I expect any diagnostic exams during this visit? Do I need to dust off my solfege?

hiroshiman, there are numerous threads and posts about interview weekends, so you will benefit from those if you haven't looked at it yet. (I guess you did already?) Mine is just a skype interview. I wish I were invited to an all-paid visit! Enjoy your visit at Northwestern... and good luck!

I'm just an applicant so I don't know about competition rates at this stage, but it could be anything from what I hear. AdComms might just want to check you in person and get to know you better beyond the papers, or there might be 2:1~4:1 chance of getting in. Of course I'm hoping for the former but who knows... Anyway it will be easier if you know who your interviewer(s) is/are going to be. I don't know who will interview me yet  :mellow:

What are some of the schools you applied to?

I applied to UCLA, Stanford, Illinois, Northwestern, Case Western, Michigan, UT Austin, Chicago, and CUNY. I only heard from one (Indiana) and that was for a rejection. Nothing else so far...

it looks like 15 people were invited to interview at Eastman this year for theory. I don't quite know how big the theory pool or general applicant pools typically are or how big the incoming cohort is though.

Does anyone know which schools DO NOT INTERVIEW?  I've heard Chicago and UCLA do not?

I am applying for ethnomusicology.

I've heard that Cornell doesn't interview for musicology, but, to be honest, I don't know much about ethnomusicology programs. Speaking of interviews, is anyone else interviewing at CUNY in a couple of weeks? (I won't be able to get out to NYC, so I'll be doing a phone interview. :unsure: )

From what I understand, Princeton only does regional interviews and only if there is an alumni in the area willing to conduct them. If you don't get an interview it does not count against you (per website). Karajan- about what time last year did you hear from Columbia and Penn for interviews?

From what I understand, Princeton only does regional interviews and only if there is an alumni in the area willing to conduct them. If you don't get an interview it does not count against you (per website). Karajan- about what time last year did you hear from Columbia and Penn for interviews?

Maybe that's for undergraduate admissions? Because they are doing Skype interviews this year.