Applying for Fall 2013

musichistorygeek

Last year, I had interviews for Columbia and Penn, but no others.  Of course, this year, things may be different -- I don't think Princeton interviewed last year, but, this year, they apparently are! 

That puts my mind at ease. I see posts here about interviews and when I see that I have not received any contact from schools besides a rejection, I get nervous. It's late January, I know, but I can't help but think that I will be 0/10 this season...  :(

That puts my mind at ease. I see posts here about interviews and when I see that I have not received any contact from schools besides a rejection, I get nervous. It's late January, I know, but I can't help but think that I will be 0/10 this season...  :(

I've got the same feeling, having gone 0 for 3 thus far. I'm already beginning plans for an alpaca farm in the remote Pacific Northwest in my head.

:)

I've got the same feeling, having gone 0 for 3 thus far. I'm already beginning plans for an alpaca farm in the remote Pacific Northwest in my head.   :)
Its only late January you guys! Its not time to lose hope!

Looks like there's been some movement on the results board -- Did someone here get into Duke for composition?

Not I. Last years results would seem to indicate that the next two weeks are going to see a significant increase in activity, though. 

Lots of rejections for music today on the board :(

I'm one of them, and it's not even noon here yet.  :)

Here's hoping the trend is reversed for everyone this afternoon.

Yep. CUNY sent out their decisions today. :-(
:( I hope we hear good news soon... this wait is awful. I suppose we need to wait at least until the first week of Feb for a stream of results. Anyone heard about any upcoming results? What decisions should we expect next?

Any music theory people?... I just got my rejection letter from IU today.... after my interview. Kinda heartbroken since I am a senior at IU for composition.. Given that I got rejected by my home school, I'm expecting rejections across the board this year. I think I'll try applying to Temple University which has deadline of March 1st.. Anyone know about Temple's funding for Master's students? 

If there're any people out there applied for theory programs at CUNY, Michigan, Chicago, let me know.. (I guess Chicago is technically Theory+History)

So sad to be rejected by my home school.. : ( Perhaps it was a bad interview, or professors who didn't exactly like me in Freshmen+Soph years..

I'm very new to grad school admission process.. Next year, I think I should apply to terminal Masters programs instead of direct-to-phd...

Im not a theory person, but I wouldn't throw in the towel until you hear back from all your choices. Hopefully a teacher at another school will like you. Do you have any other offers for interviews? Could you ask your composition professor for any feedback? Maybe he/she may have heard why they didn't choose you.

Anyone know anything about UC Santa Barbara's department? (especially the money issue for MA or MM degree) I know that everyone here's talking about Yale, Eastman and all the others but fresh out of undergrad, I think I need more experience before applying to those schools

Edited by Counterpointer

I think I'll start hearing around mid February...heres a list of approximate dates that we might hear from the Ivies (based on the past couple of years). Yale - 4 Feb for interviews, 17 Feb for results Cornell - 8 Feb 2012; Feb 21 for waitlist Princeton - 10 Feb Penn - 15 Feb Harvard - 19 Feb (phone call) snail mail notification:15th- 22nd Columbia- March 1 acceptance

Wish I had some comforting words for you guys, but the waiting is truly the worst :( I definitely gave myself an ulcer last year as a result of all the stress. Look after yourselves! All the applications are in, and there's nothing more you can do at this point!

Did anyone already do an interview(s) for this season yet? What was it like? I think it'll be nice if we share some interview experiences from this season. I know I will when I'm done with one soon.

At Eastman -- and I interviewed for theory by the way -- there was a battery of 3 interviews: one for keyboard/aural skills (no dictation), one for research, and one sight analysis session. Keep in mind: you may not actually get interviews with people who read your submissions! I wasn't, and I was interviewed by a single faculty member who wanted to get a general idea of my research area. The musicology applicants, on the other hand, were interviewed by a panel of three people who read the apps. Accordingly, they were asked targeted questions about the work they submitted. In other words, be ready for a variety of conditions in your interviews, folks.

All in all, Eastman theory interviews seemed most interested in identifying fit, to be sure, but also in identifying who would be a good TA, I'm not convinced being a top-notch scholar was the top concern.