Applying for Fall 2013

musichistorygeek

Hello all,

I'm new here, I'm applying to PhD/DMA programs for Music Comp. I applied to 8 programs, a mix of top notch programs and schools with later deadlines that may be easier as far as admission is concerned. It's good to know that there are so many of us out there that are going insane waiting around on these schools. I AM NOT ALONE! 

I couldn't afford to apply to all of the schools that had Dec.1 deadlines (there were a million!!), so I had to spread it out, applied to 3 december deadlines and 5 schools with Jan deadlines

It seems like a lot of these schools in music wait awhile to notify people (depending on which school you're applying to) I received a rejection from Bowling Green State University last weekend, a super generic email sent on a Saturday afternoon (pretty odd time) Other than that, I have 7 schools left to hear from. 

Its helpful to see on this site which schools are responding at what times, its also nerveracking!!!

Congrats to whoever got into the DMA composition program in Kansas City! I originally had them on my list, but I had to go with other schools, CONGRATS!!

thanks musicmage09! looks like from your list you have some pretty good credentials, those are top-notch schools.

no interviews for me, only 2 rejections, probably won't hear anything else from the other schools until late Feb/early March.

I always use this analogy: it's like pulling a band-aid real slowly----painful

Four of the schools I applied to interview composition applicants, and those schools also happen to be my four rejections thus far.

So, yay for not having to interview?  :D

Four of the schools I applied to interview composition applicants, and those schools also happen to be my four rejections thus far.   So, yay for not having to interview?  :D
Well thats one way to look at it! Keep up the optimism!

I've got a feeling about today & tomorrow. We will all get lots of acceptances. I'm feeling it.

Saturday night I'll either be eating steak in celebration, or comforting myself with steak. My point is I don't see this weekend playing out in a way that doesn't result in me eating steak.

I ramble when I'm nervous.

OK. Just had an interview (musicology). It was about 20 minutes, which was a little shorter than I expected. Pretty generic questions in a rather informal setting... (Why PhD, this program, my interests, strength/weakness and so on.) I think that is mostly the case for Phone/Skype interviews or single-session interview. May be different for 2- or 3-day interview weekend. Decision will be made a little later... Good luck to me!

Edited by Porygon2

OK. Just had an interview (musicology). It was about 20 minutes, which was a little shorter than I expected. Pretty generic questions in a rather informal setting... (Why PhD, this program, my interests, strength/weakness and so on.) I think that is mostly the case for Phone/Skype interviews or single-session interview. May be different for 2- or 3-day interview weekend. Decision will be made a little later... Good luck to me!

GOOD LUCK!!

I've got a feeling about today & tomorrow. We will all get lots of acceptances. I'm feeling it.   Saturday night I'll either be eating steak in celebration, or comforting myself with steak. My point is I don't see this weekend playing out in a way that doesn't result in me eating steak.   I ramble when I'm nervous.
If anything tomorrow is the first day of February and a stream of results will soon begin. Good luck to everyone!

Four of the schools I applied to interview composition applicants, and those schools also happen to be my four rejections thus far.

So, yay for not having to interview?  :D

Yeah, honestly, it would be MORE painful to interview then get rejected than getting flat-out rejected off the bat

Yeah, honestly, it would be MORE painful to interview then get rejected than getting flat-out rejected off the bat

I don't know. I think I would have liked to have had one interview, even if I was subsequently rejected. I'm not terribly confident in my application, and an interview would have meant someone thought it was strong enough to go through the trouble of interviewing me. It's more feedback than "NO", which is what I've gotten so far.  :D

Now if I had four interviews and four rejections? Yeah, that would be much worse...

Edited by run_kmc

"...and Chris is going back to work. He has a degree in ethnomusicology from Wesleyan, so naturally he's a receptionist at a Dentist's office."

Oh... lol of course. But that could have been true for any other humanities/arts degrees, right?

I thought it would be more music-specific.  :(

"...and Chris is going back to work. He has a degree in ethnomusicology from Wesleyan, so naturally he's a receptionist at a Dentist's office."

hahahaha, that's terrible, but it's true...ugghh

Just wanted to share some of the interview questions I was asked today. I have to admit that some of them threw me a bit, since I had been advised to prepare for questions about day-to-day life as a grad student, research expectations and methodology, coursework, etc., and this seemed a bit more abstract than that. Still, I think (hope) it went well. Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those who were accepted at Chicago!  :D

Is there a person and/or article that got you interested in musicology?

What journals do you read regularly? Describe an article or essay you've read recently that provoked an emotional response from you.

You are a recently hired musicology professor, and must teach three courses. What courses would you want to teach and why?

Just wanted to share some of the interview questions I was asked today. I have to admit that some of them threw me a bit, since I had been advised to prepare for questions about day-to-day life as a grad student, research expectations and methodology, coursework, etc., and this seemed a bit more abstract than that. Still, I think (hope) it went well. Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those who were accepted at Chicago!  :D

Is there a person and/or article that got you interested in musicology?

What journals do you read regularly? Describe an article or essay you've read recently that provoked an emotional response from you.

You are a recently hired musicology professor, and must teach three courses. What courses would you want to teach and why?

In my opinion, those questions are pretty specific! Well, at least compared to what I got. How long was the interview?

edit: I'm the 100th poster in this thread  B)

Edited by Porygon2