PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about Marquette's wait list? From what I can gather, they send out many more offers of admission than they can fund. I have talked to a number of individuals who were admitted, but were not offered funding in past application cycles (this seems to be the trend across all the Religion Department's sub-fields). This happened to me last year, and it seems it will happen again this year (admitted, funding pending...). I'm not necessarily holding my breath for any offer to come through for financial aid, but also don't want to make any decisions about other programs until I know what exactly all my options are. I spoke with the director, and he was not able to give me an idea of where I am on the list.

There does not seem to be a whole lot of Marquette rejections in years past. Is this wait list a mile long?  

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about Marquette's wait list? From what I can gather, they send out many more offers of admission than they can fund. I have talked to a number of individuals who were admitted, but were not offered funding in past application cycles (this seems to be the trend across all the Religion Department's sub-fields). This happened to me last year, and it seems it will happen again this year (admitted, funding pending...). I'm not necessarily holding my breath for any offer to come through for financial aid, but also don't want to make any decisions about other programs until I know what exactly all my options are. I spoke with the director, and he was not able to give me an idea of where I am on the list.

There does not seem to be a whole lot of Marquette rejections in years past. Is this wait list a mile long?  

I will add my voice as someone who would like to know about how Marquette's waitlist works. 

I'm not sure how the wait list for admission at Marquette works, or how many people are on it, but last year I was told by a faculty member that they send out between 18-20 acceptance letters are are looking for about 10-12 people to accept. The funding is obviously limited (this is also my second time getting an offer from them with funding pending). In their graduate brochure it says that in 2009, eleven doctoral students entered the program, four of which were funded. Its probably going to be something comparable this year. However, I've emailed the Director both times, and he's been able to tell me exactly how many people need to turn down funding before its offered to me. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for the information!

Do you (or does anyone else) know if additional offers are still going to be sent out by Marquette. I heard from a friend in the program that he didn't get his (partially funded) offer until a week after the fully-funded offers went out. And yet, goodbye I above says that he or she received an offer without funding from them already this year (albeit in a different area than my friend and myself).  

I guess that I'm just asking if anyone knows if there is still good news (even if it's not the best, fully-funded, news) to come out of Milwaukee. 

I'm not sure how the wait list for admission at Marquette works, or how many people are on it, but last year I was told by a faculty member that they send out between 18-20 acceptance letters are are looking for about 10-12 people to accept. The funding is obviously limited (this is also my second time getting an offer from them with funding pending). In their graduate brochure it says that in 2009, eleven doctoral students entered the program, four of which were funded. Its probably going to be something comparable this year. However, I've emailed the Director both times, and he's been able to tell me exactly how many people need to turn down funding before its offered to me. Hope that helps.

That is helpful. The director did tell me that at least x number of people would need to go elsewhere for me to receive funding. He also said there were other factors the department has to consider based on the way they do their waitlist. It was a bit unclear. Last year I did not hear a final word about funding until the end of April. I'll need to be making decisions before then this go around.

Thank you so much for the information!

Do you (or does anyone else) know if additional offers are still going to be sent out by Marquette. I heard from a friend in the program that he didn't get his (partially funded) offer until a week after the fully-funded offers went out. And yet, goodbye I above says that he or she received an offer without funding from them already this year (albeit in a different area than my friend and myself).  

I guess that I'm just asking if anyone knows if there is still good news (even if it's not the best, fully-funded, news) to come out of Milwaukee. 

Last year I had a classmate who received his admittance a bit later, but did not receive a funding offer. This year I was just given an update on my situation, so there could very well be more offers coming in the near future.

It's hard to say. I also received an unfunded offer from them last Thursday via email, shortly after the funded offers went out. But like your friend, my offer last year came a week or so after the funded offers. I guess it's not the same from year to year. It's not a bad idea to just email the director at this point, if the suspense is too much!

@ yhujikol - You mentioned that all notifications from Harvard's GSAS were sent via snail mail; how did you hear this? And was it via post that you found out about your waiting list status, or did you send an email to inquire? 

Thanks.

@ yhujikol - You mentioned that all notifications from Harvard's GSAS were sent via snail mail; how did you hear this? And was it via post that you found out about your waiting list status, or did you send an email to inquire? 

Thanks.

I sent an email to my POI who informed me. I'm still waiting for the letter to come, but it shouldn't be long since they were sent on Friday.

I sent an email to my POI who informed me. I'm still waiting for the letter to come, but it shouldn't be long since they were sent on Friday.

Thanks again. And congratulations on being admitted on the waiting list!

In your correspondence with your POI, did he or she confirm that the first round of offers has also been sent out via post (rather than email)? 

Thanks again. And congratulations on being admitted on the waiting list!

In your correspondence with your POI, did he or she confirm that the first round of offers has also been sent out via post (rather than email)? 

No. I'm not sure, but it didn't sound like anything has been emailed and that everything went out in the mail. Good luck! I doubt that Harvard needs to go into the waiting list at all, though.

Claremont results are beginning to trickle in. I received email notification just now...official letters to be mailed later this week.

Is anyone rejected from Claremont? It's been my impression that it's not a competitive admission system.

Is anyone rejected from Claremont? It's been my impression that it's not a competitive admission system.

I know they are typically pretty stingy when it comes to funding, but I really can't speak to their competitiveness or lack thereof. My experience is admittedly limited though.

Anyone else ever wonder if POIs and/or admission committees ever lurk on GradCafe?

This has been a recurrent question on the GradCafe over the past few years. Some people have made definitive claims that they know adcoms that do check in here. My take is that any admissions committee member who spends their time roaming the forums is probably not a faculty you'd want to be a part of (i.e. - shouldn't you be writing a book or something?!)

Then again, if I ever land a faculty position, I'd probably continue on here to see how my program's street cred is shaping up.