PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

Accepted to Asbury, awaiting funding details. This is my second acceptance and, while I am waiting for funding details from the other program as well, I am really starting to feel like I am going to end up with some sort of a viable option when this all shakes out.

Just waiting on DU-Iliff now...

Accepted to Asbury, awaiting funding details. This is my second acceptance and, while I am waiting for funding details from the other program as well, I am really starting to feel like I am going to end up with some sort of a viable option when this all shakes out.

That's awesome! Congrats! Good to see fellow ECS people getting accepted places.

thanks all!! I hope that good news is delivered to everyone soon  :D. I am almost ready to close out this application season, and I'm so glad for all the posts, support, and information we have all shared. Good luck!

Congrats!

Just out of curiosity...has anyone heard anything from Fordham's Systematics concentration or Yale's Religious Ethics program? I know some invitations for interviews went out for other concentrations at Yale, but I haven't heard anyone mention interviews for Religious Ethics applicants. I would assume they would have sent them out by now, though.

I called and apparently Brown is posting the results now. I have received nothing. I would assume that they post the acceptances first, cuz there are only five of them. 

I called and apparently Brown is posting the results now. I have received nothing. I would assume that they post the acceptances first, cuz there are only five of them. 

My friend has already received a rejection from Brown.

So do you know what HDS will do with ThD students? Are they automatically transferred to the PhD program?

I'm not sure when the end of the ThD will come. The ThD program sent out acceptances/rejections yesterday, so they are still enrolling students into the program, though perhaps the numbers have lessen throughout the years. Hard to tell. Anyways, there's been no explicit talk of such things on campus. I think some of it may be simply be what people have heard, and not official announcements. 

I'd imagine that the ThD candidates will remain and complete their studies as ThD students -- as the sources of funding for the ThD and the PhD are different. The PhD is funded through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, not the Divinity School. Its hard to speculate though... 

I'm not sure when the end of the ThD will come. The ThD program sent out acceptances/rejections yesterday, so they are still enrolling students into the program, though perhaps the numbers have lessen throughout the years. Hard to tell. Anyways, there's been no explicit talk of such things on campus. I think some of it may be simply be what people have heard, and not official announcements. 

I'd imagine that the ThD candidates will remain and complete their studies as ThD students -- as the sources of funding for the ThD and the PhD are different. The PhD is funded through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, not the Divinity School. Its hard to speculate though... 

Thank you so much for the information. I was admitted to the ThD program, and was wondering what my fate would be. I wouldn't mind the PhD, maybe even better in some ways. Are students able to transfer from one to the other?

I don't believe an internal transfer is possible between programs. I have never heard of that being done. Furthermore, Harvard faculty view the two degrees as basically the same - though I know a ThD may be viewed differently from a PhD in some settings. 

Yet, there are enough people with Harvard ThD's who hold professorships in academia for the wider academy to recognize the strength of the program/and the fact that they two degrees, at least at Harvard, are synonymous. It's almost random which one you get in to...

Anyways, its a tough program to get into, so congratulations to you!!!!!

yhujikol, also, you may be admitted to the PhD program! I'd imagine Harvard GSAS will notify acceptances around very late Feb./early March, and rejections will be sent soon after. I believe the stipends are generally the same. There were previous years where HDS' stipend was higher, but no longer.  Anyways, again, congratulations! 

Thank you so much for the information. I was admitted to the ThD program, and was wondering what my fate would be. I wouldn't mind the PhD, maybe even better in some ways. Are students able to transfer from one to the other?

I have had professors (two) in the past with HDS' ThD. Have no worries, it is the exact same degree (for academic purposes) as the PhD.

yhujikol, also, you may be admitted to the PhD program! I'd imagine Harvard GSAS will notify acceptances around very late Feb./early March, and rejections will be sent soon after. I believe the stipends are generally the same. There were previous years where HDS' stipend was higher, but no longer.  Anyways, again, congratulations! 

Thank you very much! I'm very excited about it and am pretty sure that I will be moving to Cambridge this summer. I was just wondering since I might end up looking for post docs and position in anthropology or even sociology, in which case a ThD won't help much. But you're right; I'll wait to see what GSAS decides. I doubt that they'd make two offers to the same applicant, especially since it's the exact same committee.

Thank you very much! I'm very excited about it and am pretty sure that I will be moving to Cambridge this summer. I was just wondering since I might end up looking for post docs and position in anthropology or even sociology, in which case a ThD won't help much. But you're right; I'll wait to see what GSAS decides. I doubt that they'd make two offers to the same applicant, especially since it's the exact same committee.

I have a friend who got into the ThD but not the PhD last year. He declined the offer. 

Do you know why? And where did he go instead?

Sorry but I don't. He went to Penn. His field is Jewish Studies. I thought that studying with Prof. Levenson at HDS would've been great, and Prof. Cohen at NELC, Harvard. So, I would guess---but I never asked him really--that this actually had something to do with the ThD. But I might be making things up. If you like I can ask if I could give you his contact info. But the reason for declining an offer could be pretty private, so ...