CSU'S: Fall 2013

soy

Hi friends!

Gearing up for application season! How are your apps coming along? This is my second round so I'm hoping another year of experience will make me a more competative candidate.

Saw this on CSUMentor and it's making me a little nervous, though :wacko: :

CSU campuses will hold all applications until the end of this initial application filing period on November 30, 2012. The reason for this action is because there is a measure on the November ballot (Proposition 30) which requires voters to decide whether to provide additional funding to help the state address the ongoing structural deficit. If Proposition 30 is not approved, the CSU budget will be cut an additional $250 million.

Enrollment capacity on the CSU campuses is necessarily tied to the amount of available state funding. Therefore, if Proposition 30 is not approved, the CSU will have to admit fewer students. Admission decisions are therefore being postponed; students will begin to receive admission notices after the application deadline of November 30, 2012.

Hopefully Proposition 30 will be approved then.

Since you did this last year, I have a question. I'm also applying to a couple of CSUs and had a question about CSUMentor. Did you write a 500 word essay at the end of your application or did you just include a small note that you are sending in a personal statement? I was a bit confused on that part.

I included something along the line of "Sent personal statement to Department". It's not necessary to fill that part in.

Where are you applying? So far my list just includes CSULB and CSULA. LB has rolling admissions...so if the results from them aren't favorable, I just may have to add a few more schools. >_<

Hopefully Proposition 30 will be approved then.

Since you did this last year, I have a question. I'm also applying to a couple of CSUs and had a question about CSUMentor. Did you write a 500 word essay at the end of your application or did you just include a small note that you are sending in a personal statement? I was a bit confused on that part.

Hi there,

Im starting the process as well. What is everyone's idea on the amount of schools to apply too? I know people who have applied to 10 schools and got into 1. And people who have applied to 3 schools and gotten in. Is 9 too many schools to apply too? Im a CA resident and applying to, most likely, 4 schools in state and 5 schools out of state.

I think it's up to you. Just keep in mind that nine schools means nine statements of purpose and nine letters for your letter writers. Plus, the cost of applying to each school. If you don't mind any of that, go for it.

Edited by ecb

Okay, thank you!

I'm applying to CSULB and CSULA as well... and NYU and Columbia.

I am applying to the same programs, adding Smith and Univ. of Chicago to the mix. :blink:

As of right now I've only started working with the personal statement of CSULA....it's driving me nuts, too many questions.. lol

Have you started? If so, how do you feel about it?

I am applying to the same programs, adding Smith and Univ. of Chicago to the mix. :blink:

As of right now I've only started working with the personal statement of CSULA....it's driving me nuts, too many questions.. lol

Have you started? If so, how do you feel about it?

I did see all of the questions. I was kind of surprised by the amount of questions they asked. I was expecting CSULB to be the most detailed, actually. Guess not! I'm not thrilled about all of the questions, but I want to do Forensic Social Work and they have a concentration for that.

• 1 month later...

How are all of you doing on your applications?

I turned mine in for CSUN for priority on Monday.

I still have to finish and turn in apps for CSUDH and CSULA. The rolling admissions has me nervous! Also, CSULA's statement is tiresome. :P

I got my acceptance letter to CSULB last week! So excited!!! :)

I'm still wating to hear back from a couple other SoCal schools, but since I got into my first choice, I feel like I can relax a bit now.

Good luck, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's awesome! Im focusing on SJSU at the moment. I haven't worked on the East Bay one much yet. SJSU is one of my top schools because the gerontology field of practice option. 

I am also submitting my application for CSULA tomorrow! Yikes, I know I should have submitted this earlier! I decided to also go for Long Beach. The waiting begins. I am not certain about being admitted. My gpa is a 2.92, not so great. But I have a lot of work experience in case management and volunteer experience with the youth. I am hoping that stands out in my application. Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I received an email....good luck! let me know if you have any questions.

I submitted my app early Jan like jan 5,6,or 7th. So they got back to me right AWAY! Crazy right! It was my first choice besides Hunter in NYC.

My husband is finishing the Columbia MSW in May and we are moving back to so I can do my MSW in LA.

For those who applied to SJSU, did you receive any sort of confirmation email that your Section II items were received?  It's making me a little nervous but another poster commented that they wouldn't even be looking at apps till mid-Feb according to their Social Work office so hoping that is why I've yet to have any confirmation....

I never got confirmation that my supplemental docs (personal statement and recommendations) were received. They did confirm they'd received the first half of them when I asked (I sent things one by one over a couple months), but then when I sent the last couple things I emailed asking them to confirm that my app was complete and they never replied. Frustrating, but I'm sure they are overloaded.

Edited by dida