Gotta reply from Professor. How promising is it?

Rizu

I emailed a Professor, and he replied just after 30 minutes. His reply is like following:

"your background sounds really interesting and you should definitely apply.

Please let me know if there is any specific information that you would like to know from me.

Best wishes"

I am confused, if this reply is really promising? Or, just a common reply?

Actually, I don't want to apply into lots of University because of both money and recommendation letters. So, I am looking for some advice.

What should I write him now? Should I ask him about funding situation?

Please help me.......

I am now in the process of writing letters to potential POI too, and I can differentiate between those who reply with emails like the

one you received (which is pretty standard) and those who actually actually took the time to make specif comments about my background, about my international student status, and even asked me too send more info about myself (gre, cv, unofficial reports) to let me know if I am really a competitive candidate for their program. Of course a standard reply is still better that a no reply... But I am no expert, I'm in the process of applying too...

I think the reply is pretty standard. It depends on the prof. Some people don't like being the one to tell a student to not apply, so they might send something like this to everyone who asks them. In reality, this is not in their own best interests since more applications = more work for them. But others do genuinely mean that they want to see you submit a full application when the time comes. However, you should keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to be a strong candidate, but it also doesn't mean you are not!!

It basically means exactly what it says: they want to see you apply. This is better than getting no reply at all but you shouldn't use the reply to mean anything other than "you should apply".

As for the number of schools to apply to, money is a real issue, but LORs shouldn't be. Most profs expect to write a lot of LORs for their students, and they consider it part of their job. Writing 10 LORs isn't a lot more work than writing one, since it's mostly going to be copy-and-paste, change the school name, then submit. My applications cost about $1500 for 8 schools (including travel and accommodations to general and subject GRE exams). I figure though, that given the random nature of applications, sometimes applying to one or two more schools (i.e. an extra $100-$200), it might be worth it to ensure I get in somewhere given that I already spent >$1000 on applications!

thank you guys for your reply........ Today I got another reply from a prof.:

"Thanks for your interest in my research. I am still accepting students to my group. Your research interest and background fit well with my group. I will consider you as a candidate for my group. However, our department accepts students with some basic criteria and you may like to contact X for further information.

After you contact Kevin Jordan and you still have other question, please feel free to contact me."

How about this one?

Edited by tauhid_khan

What are your intro emails like?

There is good advice at this profs blog - she breaks down the different "levels" of response she'll use, and how to craft a good intro email. Not sure if all profs are this systematic or care this much, but valuable insight. Other faculty/profs have chimed in, in the comments section, with their approach.

Writing to me

Thank you very much..... I think, the content of my email wasn't that bad comparing with what she wrote in that blog, though was a little long, and except starting with "Dear Dr. X". I don't know, if is it a big mistake???

I don't think Dr. X instead of Prof. X is a big mistake (or really even a mistake). Some people like Dr. and some people like Prof. (most like Prof. though). "Dear Sir" is a mistake though! Honestly, I have not known very many professors who care about their form of address (as long as it is respectful). So, I think the prof who wrote that blog would not "mind" being called Dr. X but it sounds like she prefers Prof. X more!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Dr. X instead of Prof. X is a big mistake (or really even a mistake). Some people like Dr. and some people like Prof. (most like Prof. though). "Dear Sir" is a mistake though! Honestly, I have not known very many professors who care about their form of address (as long as it is respectful). So, I think the prof who wrote that blog would not "mind" being called Dr. X but it sounds like she prefers Prof. X more!

After transferring from a southern school to a northern one and talking to a professor who had taught both places, I learned that apparently this is a regional thing. It's Professor in the north (at least the northeast) and Dr. in the south-- although it might vary from campus to campus. In my emails I tend to say "professor" since it's what I'm comfortable with.

It's tricky because you don't want to waste the prof's time with questions that could be answered elsewhere, but do want to establish contact. Whatever you ask, double-check to make sure you couldn't find the answer on the website if you looked. In fact, if you can, frame things in the form of, "I looked over the department website, and I was wondering..." Here are some things that might be appropriate to ask the prof:

- I read your article on X. Is that research ongoing? (Check b/c this may be on the website.)

- Could you recommend a grad student from your group I could talk to who would give me some perspective on the program?

- Are you accepting new students?

- What book/article would give me the best foundation for the work you're doing? (Be careful, because if they reply, you best read said primer before your interview, just in case!)

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I have a maybe a similar question... Not sure where else on here to pose it. I've been contacting POIs over the last month and generally have been pretty successful - that is they comment on what I've said, suggest other people to contact, and encourage me to apply.

Today I received a response from an e-mail I sent out a few weeks ago and had given up on that said:

"This sounds interesting [referring to a research idea I pitched]. I could be an advisor or a committee member on such a project. Give me a call if you would like, or maybe you'll be visiting the campus? Best, X"

I can't visit the campus because it's crazy expensive, but I can't think of a legitimate reason not to call. I know it would be in my best interest, but the problem is I have a really hard time with phone conversations. For one, I have an extremely weak high pitched and soft voice and generally people have trouble understanding me over the phone. Furthermore, I'm not sure what I should say considering I laid it all out (I felt) in the first e-mail. What are appropriate questions? What exactly does he expect me to talk about? Funding? More on research ideas? Do I need to read all of his recent articles to prepare? How long will we talk? Something about this seems infinitely more stressful for me personally than an e-mail or a face to face conversation.

I feel like if he likes me it will be a big feather in my cap, while on the other hand, if I butcher it...

Any suggestions?

Well, it seems to me people propose phone calls for two reasons: The first is that they prefer them to email -- maybe they're slow typers, maybe they're verbal processors, maybe they blue-tooth it while doing something else, or they're just old school. The second reason could be that they think it's more personal, and it's certainly a faster way of getting questions answered (from either end) once the call is made. There's more room for clarification and volleying back and forth. That is, they may just be offering a phone call because it is more of a welcoming invitation than email, but may themselves be perfectly content with email.

You could hedge your bets by emailing him your questions, and then saying that if he would rather answer them over the phone, you can call, but otherwise you're fine with email.

Possible questions to ask:

- What are some other student projects you are/have been involved with related to my interests? (One prof emailed me the dissertation of a student from a few years back who had an interest similar to mine.)

- Is there anyone else I should talk to/ look up in your department?

- What types of funding/RA/TA set ups do grad students tend to get here? Or where could I find out about it? (If grad students are paid through a general university fund, the profs might not know anything about the money, Either way, if you keep it general, it's clear you're just trying to get a general sense of things, not negotiate a salary.)

I wouldn't say you have to become an expert before talking to him. Ask questions that show you've looked at the department and/or research group web page, and have tried to find information out on your own. Maybe ask if there is one paper he recommends you reading to get a better sense of things. And if things are going horribly, make static sounds, hang up, and shoot an email appologizing for bad reception. :-)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two responses so far...

One was "Your research sounds interesting and compelling." And then was like I only take one student a year so you might also want to identify other people but "I encourage you to apply."

Another was like, "Your research sounds facinating." And then was like my background would give you a good theoretical background to continue your own work and "I think it's a great idea if you apply to our program."

Both so vague. I feel like I'm in the same boat as the OP. Do professors tell EVERYONE that their research is interesting????