Students won't think critically

Resendes8909

I won't go into details. But...

Basically, I am trying to get students to objectively look at their work, their peers' work, and even the work of experts in the field and critically discuss ways for improvement. Critique.

But I noticed from the very beginning of the semester that students seem more concerned with being nice than objective - which is not constructive or professional.

So, I have been running a series of experiments in class to open up forum for debate (not based on their work yet, based on precedents and ideologies). This seemed like a good idea until one student came forward and basically told me off for asking them to challenge each others views. This student thought I was trying to breed bullying in the class and that this type of dialog was unprofessional (boy is this kid in for a surprise post-undergrad).

I don't wholly agree with the student, but obviously I need to rethink some of the structure of these in-class debates. I have no intention of having anyone leave the class feeling hurt or having hurt someone else. But if they don't learn how to be objective we as teachers have failed them.

Any ideas to help an overly sensitive group think critically? Any thoughts on this subject?

I think I might have a "discussion" the next class on how someone's ideas and positions are not necessarily integrally connected to them, as a person, and that it is possible to objectively and politely critique ideas without attacking the person who has those ideas. Just an idea.

Doesn't your field or class topic have a well-known set of essays that are hilariously (or UNhilariously) mockable for some reason or other, even if it is just History Marches On? Like, a bunch of hyper-Marxist zealots writing in the 60s, or nauseatingly imperialist/colonialist stuff from the 1890s and 1900s? I have had good luck taking a class period to go through a chapter or essay along those lines with my students, taking apart the narrative, logic, and sources of the argument (discipline = history). That seems to get them more ready to be critical.

I also usually have my students work in teams for this--it seems to eliminate the sense of being out there on their own and thus feeling personally vulnerable.

As for your student who thinks that debate is bullying--it might be worth examining how you frame the class discussions, or the kid might just need a Reality Adjustment.

Someone was telling me about a class they do, where they project a piece of work annonymously on the board for class discussion. It is work from someone in the class, so there is an understanding that everyone should be respectful and aware of feelings, but the potential for shame or personal attack is minimized.

Or, could you frame it as, "What would make this argument stronger?" Then it's more clear it's about the logic involved, not people's beliefs?

I read part of a book called, "College Teaching and the Development of Reasoning". It talks about how some people aren't developmentally at the formal reasoning stage yet when they enter college, and this is why things they do/say can seem so... well, illogical to those teaching them. Interesting book.

Did you move to a new area for grad school? I'm originally from New York, but I've lived in the Midwest for many years. People here are much more polite and less straightforward than they are back East. It would be harder for Midwestern students to criticize each other's work. I agree with Eigen that a discussion about personal attacks vs. constructive criticism is in order. The book that SeriousSillyPutty recommended sounds good too! I don't agree with your student either, but I give you credit for taking his words into account and thinking about your approach. It surprises me that he's having this strong of a reaction and he's not even critiquing his own classmates' work yet. Critical thinking is one of the most important skills to develop in college!

• 1 month later...

The generation that is freshman and sophomores in college now spent most of their school careers in full-on "no child left behind" mode. They weren't taught critical thinking. They were taught to memorize facts and pass tests. They were also taught that everyone gets a trophy and you should never say anything critical because that's bullying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been apart of a class for 3 years now where one of the objectives it to be able to critically assess literature.

One thing I've noticed is that students come into this 3rd year course with no experience in assessing writing, thoughts, research design, rationale, etc. The most common critiques I see are : font is too small, title is too big, referenced literature in the article is out of date (from an article originally published in the 80's, 90's!!!). I've also noticed that as much as they have not had to GIVE critical feedback, a lot of them haven't RECEIVED it.

What I have done to combat this, is to first point out strategies for critique, and specific questions you should ask yourself when reviewing work. Now, this might be a bit easier in my area than yours, but I've found that just presenting students with what to ask themselves makes a difference. I then get them to apply it to several articles known in my area for faults- classics! This way they get to critique, but also suggest improvements.

Now, I think peer review is great! However, students can be MEAN to each other. I think we've all received feedback that burned a little- as there IS an art to providing feedback. I was part of a 'Work In Progress' session at a recent conference that dealt with learning how to give and take feedback. Before the session began, we received guidelines about acceptable, professional, and appropriate feedback. Maybe have this discussion with them, and stress that this is to build a better outcome, not to tear it down...and also learn how to appropriate question other's ideas. 

You could also do a mock project, kind of like a debate. Give students an article and a side to debate...so that the students aren't critiquing an individual's work.

Critical thinking refers not to a set of rational principles to be developed irrespective of context, but to lens of analysis and interpretation that are specific to disciplines, communities, and classrooms. When I find that students are not producing the analysis that I am looking for, it is because I have not provided them the tools for that analysis in the form of vocabulary, concepts, examples, etc. You must ask yourself: what kind of analysis do I want students to make? What am I hiding in the term "critical thinking"? Then you must offer your students the conceptual conditions necessary for thinking that way. You can, of course, allow room for creativity, but students need the foundation for creativity in specific contexts.

I suggest finding an article that does that kind of analysis for them to read or directly teaching vocabulary and concepts they need.

Edited by Rabbitry