HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Did they accept your deferral request?

I was wondering that, too...

It was something I was considering, but they really, REALLY emphasize that it's rare that they ever do. Not only do they say it on their website, but I called to ask about it yesterday and it was something whoever I was talking to wanted to get across.

Even though I think my reasoning makes sense for me and my fiancee, I highly doubt Harvard would agree based off of the aforementioned stuff.

I just don't want to ask and look like a jackazz after they decline my request.

Edited by CQE

I called and asked about deferring to. I actually didn't get the "it's really rare" line pushed in front of me like on the website, if anything the guy was encouraging that it's definitely possible and definitely happens (maybe he was just feeling especially chipper though).

The caveats he expressed were that more than anything, it has to do with the COHORT more so than the REASON. That is, if they can spare a person for a year, if they really really want you regardless of the year, etc. He said they absolutely didn't have any type of prescribed list, or even trends really, with what types of situations get approved and it absolutely is not directly correlated with the severity of your need to defer. 

That said, he also said he could give absolutely no estimate of how long the approval process takes (which I think is a little BS - however, I get that it probably depends a lot on where they are with knowing concretely who all is showing up next year). The pinch for me is that my people won't make a job offer until they can be sure I'm available but I don't want to apply to defer, get it approved, and then somehow the offer doesn't come through. It's fairly low risk, but I'm still not willing to at all risk both not having Harvard or a job next year. So, just cake. No eating it too for me. 

I was wondering that, too...

It was something I was considering, but they really, REALLY emphasize that it's rare that they ever do. Not only do they say it on their website, but I called to ask about it yesterday and it was something whoever I was talking to wanted to get across.

Even though I think my reasoning makes sense for me and my fiancee, I highly doubt Harvard would agree based off of the aforementioned stuff.

I just don't want to ask and look like a jackazz after they decline my request.

I requested a deferral in 2011. They denied my request. So I reapplied in 2012, and then again asked for a deferral. That time they accepted my request. But I had some pretty legit reasons to defer.

I requested a deferral in 2011. They denied my request. So I reapplied in 2012, and then again asked for a deferral. That time they accepted my request. But I had some pretty legit reasons to defer.

Got'cha.

I mean, I think my reasons are legit, but the way the site and person I spoke to made me feel was that it had to be something along the lines of, say, you or some close family member being gravely ill. Or some other set of circumstances that are rather extreme.

I just don't know what they consider to be "legit" or "petty." And, like Sunshinegrl, I don't want to risk anything regarding both my future and my fiancee's.

Thanks for the info, though, you guys.

Edited by CQE

The worst they could say is no, right?  You are still admitted and can choose to attend if they don't grant the deferral. 

Right...

But, if they do grant the deferral and a job opportunity doesn't arise like I (or Sunshine) think it would, then I'm in limbo for a year. I guess I could do AmeriCorps or something, but idk.

I'll decide soon enough whether I should even try. In all honesty, though, I think it's best that I go ahead and move there the more thought I give to it.

Edited by CQE

Well I am glad we could be help... sorry I didn't realize you were looking for a job.

Oh, no! I wasn't trying to be rude.

I apologize if my post seemed that way (damn message boards...and text messages...!).

I just didn't want to be overly open about my situation, so your suggestion was totally a logical and understandable one given all that I said (or didn't say, rather).

Edited by CQE

Did they accept your deferral request?

I haven't officially requested it yet, and am still waiting to hear back from the person I contacted about it.  Here's to hoping!

What changed between years, if you don't mind me asking?  I'll be doing a fellowship next year so am hoping that they think that's "legitimate" enough.  Regardless, the other two programs I'm strongly considering don't have a problem with me doing it so that would be a dealbreaker for me if Harvard didn't let me defer.

Hi guys, I'm a LITTLE embarrassed to be the posting more than anyone else these days BUT I have some news that I think will be valuable. 

I spoke with the EPM program coordinator a bit ago and he told me where the list of current student's housing leases is. Here's the path: 

Pre-matriculation site -> Ed M Programs -> Education Policy and Management -> (scroll down) "The Great Apartment Swap" -> Link to Google doc. 

There's currently about a dozen and a half postings on it and he said he's confident there will be more up shortly so to keep an eye on it. 

Hi guys, I'm a LITTLE embarrassed to be the posting more than anyone else these days BUT I have some news that I think will be valuable. 

I spoke with the EPM program coordinator a bit ago and he told me where the list of current student's housing leases is. Here's the path: 

Pre-matriculation site -> Ed M Programs -> Education Policy and Management -> (scroll down) "The Great Apartment Swap" -> Link to Google doc. 

There's currently about a dozen and a half postings on it and he said he's confident there will be more up shortly so to keep an eye on it. 

that s very helpful! :D also, may i say that your gre verbal and awa scores are really good!!! wow!

Haha oh yeah I found that site last night too and meant to post it.  I keep thinking about being at Harvard next year and it makes me want to walk out of my IT assistant administrator job.  I'm getting really sick of matching and adding up documents.  Glad I'm not an accountant. 

Haha oh yeah I found that site last night too and meant to post it.  I keep thinking about being at Harvard next year and it makes me want to walk out of my IT assistant administrator job.  I'm getting really sick of matching and adding up documents.  Glad I'm not an accountant. 

soon enough! Hahvahd soon enough.

Is anyone else's new favorite color Crimson?

:D my undergrad alma mater's colors were garnet and gray, so all the garnet stuff goes nicely.  By the way, my mom ended up surprising me with the HGSE tee I posted a few pages back - it's wonderful! so cozy! I recommend it. It runs large, so order a size down, but it's otherwise mahvelous!

Thank you so much! You're awesome!

Hi all, and congratulations!

I'm a US citizen located abroad and I received my admitted students packet in the mail today (it's interesting, the "ship date" was March 15, so kudos for the ridiculously fast FedEx-ing that happened there). So for those of you wondering if you get a hard copy of your acceptance letter -- YES. And a decal to boot. There isn't much other exciting information in the packet, except the Financial Aid office did include some memos about how financial aid packages will be available by the end of March/first week of August.

Nonetheless, it's a happy big envelope to receive!

Hi all, and congratulations!

I'm a US citizen located abroad and I received my admitted students packet in the mail today (it's interesting, the "ship date" was March 15, so kudos for the ridiculously fast FedEx-ing that happened there). So for those of you wondering if you get a hard copy of your acceptance letter -- YES. And a decal to boot. There isn't much other exciting information in the packet, except the Financial Aid office did include some memos about how financial aid packages will be available by the end of March/first week of August.

Nonetheless, it's a happy big envelope to receive!

I hope by first week of August you mean April..... :)  I know it's not likely to get much, but hey, I'll take $10 if they'll give me $10.  

I hope by first week of August you mean April..... :)  I know it's not likely to get much, but hey, I'll take $10 if they'll give me $10.  

hey, Vanderbilt s where u got offered a grad assistantship, right? was that a masters or phd u applied for?

hey, Vanderbilt s where u got offered a grad assistantship, right? was that a masters or phd u applied for?

Yes.  I was Masters of Public Policy in Education and the assistantship was with the Peabody Journal of Education for an associate editor position.  I officially turned it down a couple of days ago.  I don't think HSGE does assistantships for Masters people.  I asked once a long time ago back in Sept/Oct and they said that all assistantship type of positions usually go to Doctoral candidates. 

Does anyone know anything about the internship experience?  Is that something we should be looking into now or wait until we get there?  

Yeah, I've been looking into some of the FEP stuff, too. Sort of hoping to get an internship at one of the nearby museums (Harvard has like ten gazillion alone)! But I want to be involved with so much at HGSE, ay. I just can't wait. :D

(By the way: any other AIE people? haven't met any yet, but hi if you are out there!)