HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on Food Network. They're in Beantown.

Right meow, they're showing a sandwich place called "Cutty's" in Brookline. Looks soOoOoOoOoOo gooooooooooood.

Congratulations everybody! Alas I did not get in but have amazing options so am not disappointed. An adventure awaits me in a new city :)

Sorry about the news, emv. However, getting to choose from Penn, BU, UVA, and TC is still really freakin' great! I wish you well in wherever you decide to go.

Edited by CQE

Well, looks like I need to consider it...just found out I was accepted into EdM!!!! (It was in my spam folder) Special studies so I get to create my own program!! I was so disappointed when I didn't get an invite for EDLD, but my joy right now in uncontainable! Thank you all for being there through this arduous process!

Edited by EdYouKateOr

Haha CQE, I think they are sending a letter because it said in a few weeks we'd get a package with more materials.  I know that Vandy sent a letter even though I found out online.  I totally agree though... I want to frame that thing!!! Haha

Well, looks like I need to consider it...just found out I was accepted into EdM!!!! (It was in my spam folder) Special studies so I get to create my own program!! I was so disappointed when I didn't get an invite for EDLD, but my joy right now in uncontainable! Thank you all for being there through this arduous process!

YES! I've been rooting for you and was hoping you'd get some good news. :) Congratulations!!!

YES! I've been rooting for you and was hoping you'd get some good news. :) Congratulations!!!
Thank you! Thank EVERYone for you cheer, prayers and positive energy! I'm still in disbelief and so excited with the possibilities! Congrats to all accepted! Hope to see you on Appian Way!

So sad I won't be joining you all at Harvard. I guess I was in over my head. Wishing you all the very best. So happy for you all!!!!!!!! It was a crazy ride but had mostly happy endings.
If at first you don't succeed...

Congratulations! Special Studies is always an eclectic cohort. I look forward to meeting you.

Edited by FreedomInEducation

How's everyone doing?

Still pinching myself that this is real that I get to go to Harvard!

And freaking out about how expensive housing is. Open call for roommates starts now!

P.S. I infiltrated the 12-13 EPM group on FB inquiring about housing and so far have gotten this from a generous soul (she shared this openly on an open FB group so I figure it's ok to turn around and share with you guys :) )

"My roommate (also EPM) and I have an awesome apartment - 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, $1000 each, a 7 minute walk to the School of Education, very safe area, fully furnished, and recently renovated. If you're interested, you can contact Carole & Gordon Talley (carole.talley@charlesbankRE.com or 617-492-2265)" First one to the phone wins! 

Congrats everyone. I got in as well but will probably pursue other grad opportunities instead. What are you all interested in doing after HGSE? Any prospective EDLD applicants thinking about applying this fall?

And freaking out about how expensive housing is. Open call for roommates starts now!

P.S. I infiltrated the 12-13 EPM group on FB inquiring about housing and so far have gotten this from a generous soul (she shared this openly on an open FB group so I figure it's ok to turn around and share with you guys :) )

"My roommate (also EPM) and I have an awesome apartment - 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, $1000 each, a 7 minute walk to the School of Education, very safe area, fully furnished, and recently renovated. If you're interested, you can contact Carole & Gordon Talley (carole.talley@charlesbankRE.com or 617-492-2265)" First one to the phone wins! 

Is anyone applying for on campus housing? Housing in the halls is cheaper than off campus, no?

Sounds like a pretty awesome deal!

The cost of housing is a real shocker for me! I looked at on-campus housing but I'm a little concerned about the dining plan though.

Also is anyone going to the Open House in April?

That does sound like an amazing deal! I'm probably going to look for some sort of off-campus housing. I might still apply for grad housing just in case, but I'm pretty fresh out of undergrad and balk at living in a dorm after four years of dorms. But whatever works, right?

Rejected. Thank you, Harvard, for ruining my life and my dream. I wish I was dead.

Hugs. Lots of hugs.

As if finding an affordable apartment in Boston isn't tough enough, try doing so when having a large dog (90+ pounds). LOL

Funnnnnn times. Everything is roughly 2k for a 1 BR/BA. 

Time to get back to this Internet search party...unts, unts, unts, bby...

The cost of housing is a real shocker for me! I looked at on-campus housing but I'm a little concerned about the dining plan though.

Also is anyone going to the Open House in April?

Housing is crazy!  I mean, I'm from Chicago so I'm used to things not being affordable... but holy crap!  So much worse in Cambridge!  I looked at on-campus housing, but I don't think I can handle a dorm room.  I need a kitchen in my life.  

I'll be at Open House!! (also costing a crap-ton!!)  But I guess I better get used to spending money I don't really have... this is going to be one hell of an expensive 9 months.  Can't think of anything I'd rather go in debt for though!

Housing is crazy!  I mean, I'm from Chicago so I'm used to things not being affordable... but holy crap!  So much worse in Cambridge!  I looked at on-campus housing, but I don't think I can handle a dorm room.  I need a kitchen in my life.  

I'll be at Open House!! (also costing a crap-ton!!)  But I guess I better get used to spending money I don't really have... this is going to be one hell of an expensive 9 months.  Can't think of anything I'd rather go in debt for though!

So you've officially chosen Harvard over Vandy?

w00t

If you live outside of Cambridge, say in Sommerville or other towns, and away from the main T lines (but on bus lines), you can save A LOT of money. I have plenty of friends who are < 45 minutes from Harvard Square via public transit (though mostly on bus lines) who pay about $700-800 per person per month. 

Craigslist is your friend. There is no need to spend >1000 per month per person (that is, unless you have the large dog! good luck with that one!) in the Boston area if you're willing to live a bit further out. 

So you've officially chosen Harvard over Vandy?

w00t

Yeah.  Haven't responded to the Grad Assistantship offer at Vandy yet, but I just have to go with Harvard.  It's Harvard.  I think if they said "It will cost you one kidney in addition to tuition," I'd still have to say yes.