The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

It was actually a personalized and quite friendly letter from the DGS congratulating me. I am interested in the historical archaeology of the African Diaspora focusing on resistance and free blacks. I applied to South Carolina because I felt that they were strong in both of those areas. I was hoping to either work with either Dr. Weik or Dr. Kelly. 

Stanford invited finalists to campus last week and I think they have made (at least some of the) final decisions. I think it's very unlikely that you will get in unless you were at least a finalist. Hope this helps.

It was actually a personalized and quite friendly letter from the DGS congratulating me. I am interested in the historical archaeology of the African Diaspora focusing on resistance and free blacks. I applied to South Carolina because I felt that they were strong in both of those areas. I was hoping to either work with either Dr. Weik or Dr. Kelly. 

Congrats!  This is a very interesting topic.  I hope to read some of your research in the coming years.

Anyone have any idea about this?

I Skype interviewed yesterday for Johns Hopkins with my POI and she said they were interviewing their top applicants to narrow down to 4 offers, which they would deliberate next week.  

Stanford invited finalists to campus last week and I think they have made (at least some of the) final decisions. I think it's very unlikely that you will get in unless you were at least a finalist. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much!!!

Hey:)  I just saw that someone posted a Harvard acceptance via email. Could that person perhaps post a little more information. I thought Harvard only notified by phone or mail.   Thank you!
Harvard tops the list of schools most likely to get fake posts. I doubt it's real since they have only mailed results in the past.

Hey,

Harvard specifically said that they'd only send out a decision via mail and not email et al. Though this might be a case of a POI  writing to the candidate. Also a few weeks ago I remember there was a post about an interview with Harvard, definitely a hoax. So there is no saying, really :-)

On a related note, to the person who posted that they contacted the HEB head about admissions: did they say they already contacted all three admits? Because that would be utterly disappointing. 

Hey,

Harvard specifically said that they'd only send out a decision via mail and not email et al. Though this might be a case of a POI  writing to the candidate. Also a few weeks ago I remember there was a post about an interview with Harvard, definitely a hoax. So there is no saying, really :-)

Though I have no affiliation with Harvard, based on my partner's experience last year, they notified accepted people via email or any other ways faster than official mail and requested skype conversation (sort of interview for helping decision). So no reason to consider the posting as an evident hoax, I guess. 

any other texas state applicants out there? i got an extremely cryptic email today, as well as some equally cryptic minor updates to my application status page. they seem to be hinting at an acceptance:

"Thank you for submitting your application to Texas State University. According to the State of Texas rules and regulations for determining residence status, and based upon information provided on the ApplyTexas application, you have been classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes. […]

Please be sure that your tuition charges are properly coded when you register.  If you have questions about your residency you may refer to the Coordinating Board’s website[…]

This letter pertains to your residency classification for tuition purposes only. It does not constitute official acceptance to Texas State."

i don't want to get ahead of myself, but i would say this is a good sign, no?

Does anyone know when decisions from Maryland might be released? The application deadline was December 15. I'm pretty sure that I've been rejected, but it would still be nice to get something which confirmed that and I'm slightly nervous about asking the graduate program coordinator.

any other texas state applicants out there? i got an extremely cryptic email today, as well as some equally cryptic minor updates to my application status page. they seem to be hinting at an acceptance:

"Thank you for submitting your application to Texas State University. According to the State of Texas rules and regulations for determining residence status, and based upon information provided on the ApplyTexas application, you have been classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes. […]

Please be sure that your tuition charges are properly coded when you register.  If you have questions about your residency you may refer to the Coordinating Board’s website[…]

This letter pertains to your residency classification for tuition purposes only. It does not constitute official acceptance to Texas State."

i don't want to get ahead of myself, but i would say this is a good sign, no?

I got a similarly cryptic email about tuition and financial aid info prior to my acceptance somewhere as well... i would say i received it about 4 days before the dept actually contacted me.  so i say, yes!  seems positive!

sweetpearl: thanks! and congrats on your acceptance, by the way!

anxiousanthro: good to know! thank you especially for the time frame- it's a big relief to know i probably won't have to wait too long to hear something one way or the other. i was so confused by it all that i actually forwarded it to my (very honest/blunt) S.O., and even he didn't have a clue about how to interpret it. it seems one other person heard from the same school for the same department last friday. i submitted my materials on time, but thanks to its horrible bureaucracy and slow mail, my official transcript from my time in australia didn't arrive until a few days after the deadline, with approval from the dept., so perhaps i'll have a later decision, since my materials were pokey.