Fall 2013

grover3000

I think as long as you've called it to their attention, you should be ok. In their emailed reply, did they happen to mention anything about your transcripts? You could always request that your undergrad resend your transcript to UMD.

I had a similar issue with Pratt, which I posted in "Admissions Depts: The Good, Bad & Ugly".

They didn't mention anything in their response, so I emailed them back about the transcript. I got another email back saying their IT Dept. was contacted and would look into it. I'm more worried about funding than about getting in (although I'm worried about that too!). We'll see how it goes!

I saw your post about Pratt; I was frustrated reading it! They should have at least responded to you even if it was just to tell you that they're working on it and haven't forgotten about you.

They didn't mention anything in their response, so I emailed them back about the transcript. I got another email back saying their IT Dept. was contacted and would look into it. I'm more worried about funding than about getting in (although I'm worried about that too!). We'll see how it goes!

I saw your post about Pratt; I was frustrated reading it! They should have at least responded to you even if it was just to tell you that they're working on it and haven't forgotten about you.

Glad to read that UMD is investigating your transcript issue. Their Grad Admissions dept has been very response the few times I have contacted them, same goes with Financial Aid dept. I am in the process of arranging a visit to the school, including a class sit-in, & my coordinator has been a bit off her game. I have had to call her a few times to follow up on emails, but she always knows what I wrote in my emails (why not just reply?). I don't know. UMD is so frickin' huge I'd figure they wouldn't have their act together, but I've so far been happy with their responsiveness.

Has anyone applying to UMD received funding info yet?

I saw a response on the admissions results page "accepted with full tuition scholarship for e-gov't specialization." WOW! & Congrats! (& how do I get some of that?)

All I received was a single-sheet acceptance letter in the mail. No program info, tuition breakdown, enrollment instructions, nothing. Their Financial Aid dept website says that funds won't be rewarded until May (http://www.financialaid.umd.edu/osfa/dates.php), which seems pretty late to me. Then again, this is my first time requesting aid, so it might be totally normal.

Congrats, everyone!

I know it's still early, but has anyone made a final decision yet? Funding is going to be a final consideration, but I'm 90% certain I am attending Indiana in the fall regardless.

I'm strongly leaning towards Illinois, but to be honest, there are three other schools I am seriously considering.  Like you mentioned, funding is going to be instrumental in the final decision making. 

Congrats, everyone!

I know it's still early, but has anyone made a final decision yet? Funding is going to be a final consideration, but I'm 90% certain I am attending Indiana in the fall regardless.

I'm at least 90% certain I'll be attending Michigan.  I'd love to get funding either there or Pittsburgh, but my hopes aren't incredibly high, especially for Pitt.  I'm just hesitating a little bit due to financial factors.

I'm 11 days away from my final decision. I'll be having official visits to UMD next Monday & CUA next Tuesday & Wednesday. It will be a busy 3 days: tour the campus (& the libraries, of course), sit in on classes, meet w/ advisor, financial aid, career services, off-campus housing, etc.

I'll be making my final decision, enrollment deposit & everything, on Thursday. I already know in my heart that I'm going to CUA, but I can't completely write off UMD without even sitting in on a class.

Funding would be great (pulling for one of CUA's many scholarships), but a few thousand dollars from UMD isn't going to convince me to attend a program I'm not in love with.

Go with your heart!

Congrats, everyone!

I really have no idea right now. I am leaning towards UW Milwaukee because I think I have a good chance of getting the fellowship I applied for there. However if I get the fellowship I applied for at Pittsburgh I would be extremely happy and go with that program for sure. For me, this decision is almost entirely dependent on funding. At every school I applied to I also applied to fellowships and scholarships, and after spending a fortune on law school I have promised myself that the only way I will enter a library science program is if I am able to obtain a fellowship. Milwaukee will be announcing fellowship recipients on March 18 and I spoke with Pittsburgh today and they said I should knnow about the fellowship by the end of March, so I still have a bit of wait before I am ready to make a decision

I accepted UT today, as I already live in Austin and it was my top and only choice for Archives/Preservation. I'm now busily applying for late-deadline scholarships and internships.

Congrats and solidarity to all, as appropriate!

Way to go, Gizbert!! I got an acceptance to UT yesterday and am sooo relieved. Austin is my top choice too, but I am waiting to hear about funding. Honestly though, I love so much about the program and the city... I'll probably run with it. If you don't mind, I might message you to see if you know of any places to rent/have advice on good places to live. 

Congratulations to everyone. Decision-making time, guys! 

I accepted UT today, as I already live in Austin and it was my top and only choice for Archives/Preservation. I'm now busily applying for late-deadline scholarships and internships.

Congrats and solidarity to all, as appropriate!

Well just got a rejection from UT Austin yesterday. I'm in at UCLA though. Waiting on UW and UBC then it's decision time. I hope everyone gets the news they need soon...the waiting is awful. Also, have fun in Ann Arbor Bluebros....I lived there for over 10 years. It's a great place to live.

Thanks! I lived about an hour or so away for a couple of years, so I've been to Ann Arbor maybe ten times or so, but I've never gotten to spend a significant amount of time there. Just from my limited experience it seems like a nice place to live. I think I'd most like to attend school there, but it all comes down to funding. I can't afford 40 grand a year on out-of-state tuition, so I'll only be able to go there if I get an assistantship or some other sort of funding. 

Has anyone applying to UMD received funding info yet?

I saw a response on the admissions results page "accepted with full tuition scholarship for e-gov't specialization." WOW! & Congrats! (& how do I get some of that?)

All I received was a single-sheet acceptance letter in the mail. No program info, tuition breakdown, enrollment instructions, nothing. Their Financial Aid dept website says that funds won't be rewarded until May (http://www.financialaid.umd.edu/osfa/dates.php), which seems pretty late to me. Then again, this is my first time requesting aid, so it might be totally normal.

I haven't heard anything from UMD about funding. I'm not even really sure what their timeline looks like, so I wouldn't know when to expect to start hearing from them about scholarships and assistantships. I think that when schools refer to "financial aid," they're generally speaking only about loans and federal work-study, so I don't think that May date applies to scholarships/assistantships. I haven't found UMD to be particularly communicative, so I'm not really sure what's going on over there. 

I really have no idea right now. I am leaning towards UW Milwaukee because I think I have a good chance of getting the fellowship I applied for there. However if I get the fellowship I applied for at Pittsburgh I would be extremely happy and go with that program for sure. For me, this decision is almost entirely dependent on funding. At every school I applied to I also applied to fellowships and scholarships, and after spending a fortune on law school I have promised myself that the only way I will enter a library science program is if I am able to obtain a fellowship. Milwaukee will be announcing fellowship recipients on March 18 and I spoke with Pittsburgh today and they said I should knnow about the fellowship by the end of March, so I still have a bit of wait before I am ready to make a decision

I'm in a similar sort of situation. Having recently finished a Ph.D., I'm extremely reluctant to take out any additional loans. It just doesn't seem financially responsible to incur even more debt for a career that isn't known for having high earnings potential. I'm fine with not making a lot of money, but I also don't want to default on my loans or otherwise be unduly burdened by them for the next decade or more. Even my one in-state school (Pitt) would be pricey without at least some funding. So my choice is basically dependent upon funding. Part of my reason for applying to five schools was to maximize my chances of getting funding somewhere. I've probably got another month or so of waiting on funding information before I can make a decision. 

I got in at Chapel Hill a few weeks ago... haven't heard anything on financial stuff, though. Still waiting to hear back from UIUC, U of Washington, and CUNY Queens. Anyway, my Chapel Hill acceptance didn't come with any kind of deadline, so I'm wondering when they'll need me to make my decision by. As I haven't heard about funding from anywhere (though I'm not expecting much, even something small could tip the scale at this point), I'm not sure how on earth I'm supposed to decide by mid-April!

I was really leaning towards CUNY Queens, but my experience with their application and school has not been very good so far. Plus they're only additionally accredited. Thus, overall a really bad vibe. But at the same time, they're the only in-state school I was interested in, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. Sigh.

Sorry for this circuitous post, but I guess my point is that I'm nowhere near close to knowing where I'll end up, and it's driving me nuts. Congrats to everybody who's gotten acceptances and funding so far... best of luck in fall 2013!

So...it's been about a week since they said they would contact their IT department about my transcript issue. I haven't heard anything back and my app still says it needs a transcript. Should I contact them again or would that be too much?

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

So...it's been about a week since they said they would contact their IT department about my transcript issue. I haven't heard anything back and my app still says it needs a transcript. Should I contact them again or would that be too much?

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

I don't think it would be too much to contact them again to inquire about your transcript. Admissions departments deal with a lot of documents and applications and things sometimes slip through the cracks and unfortunately sometimes issues don't get fixed or addressed in a timely manner unless you take it upon yourself to be vocal about it.

I got in at Chapel Hill a few weeks ago... haven't heard anything on financial stuff, though.

Chapel Hill is supposedly making financial decision mid-March and I am guessing they will let us know after that. I am assuming this is the story everywhere -- but I have heard there won't be much from SILS itself. On the other hand it seems like there are tons of on-campus jobs for SILS masters students some of which can cover tuition and insurance. At least that is the rumor on the streets of Chapel Hill.

Way to go, Gizbert!! I got an acceptance to UT yesterday and am sooo relieved. Austin is my top choice too, but I am waiting to hear about funding. Honestly though, I love so much about the program and the city... I'll probably run with it. If you don't mind, I might message you to see if you know of any places to rent/have advice on good places to live. 

Congratulations to everyone. Decision-making time, guys! 

Yes, please PM me.  I've lived in Austin since 1997.

Hello Everyone,

Congratulations on all your acceptances and best wishes for your decision making, good luck with funding etc. I was wondering if anyone has heard from UBC yet, either for the dual program or the straight MLIS program. If so can you give me some details about the email you received, when you received it etc. I am waiting to hear about their regular MLIS, I would also be interested to know if you a Canadian student or a visa student.

Thanks/

Congrats to all!  Is anyone else "patiently" awating a decision from UW?  I know it typically takes them until late March, but hurry up already!  I'd like to make my final decision!   :wacko:

I'm "patiently" waiting and by that I mean I'll probably be checking everyday from here on out. Did you apply for any of their assistantships?

Edited by Alaina13

I heard from UMD today! I got in! It's just the recommendation letter, but still! *Happydance*

AND my decision from Simmons as been mailed. AHHHHHHHHHH

Congrats!

You shouldn't have to wait too much longer to receive your official offer of acceptance. It took 9 days between getting my recommendation email & my official acceptance notice on ASF.

I haven't heard anything from UMD about funding. I'm not even really sure what their timeline looks like, so I wouldn't know when to expect to start hearing from them about scholarships and assistantships. I think that when schools refer to "financial aid," they're generally speaking only about loans and federal work-study, so I don't think that May date applies to scholarships/assistantships. I haven't found UMD to be particularly communicative, so I'm not really sure what's going on over there. 

UMD had a special e-government scholarship program available for Fall 2013 applicants: http://ischool.umd.edu/content/e-government#ScholarshipProgram.

Information on loans, grants, work-study, scholarships, assistantships & fellowships can all be found on UMD's Financial Aid website, so that's why I assumed that all financial info would probably go out at the same time.

I still don't understand how colleges handle the actual "paying for your education" element of the admissions process. Both CUA & UMD did not contain even a breakdown of tuition, let alone aid info, in my acceptance offers. I have been fortunate enough to never need student loans or scholarships, so the idea of enrolling in a school & not even knowing how much it will cost or how I'll be able to pay for it is kind of terrifying.

I'll be visiting both CUA & UMD next week & will be incorporating a meeting with a financial aid representative at each place. Hopefully I'll have a much clearer picture of the types of financial assistance available.