Fall 2013

grover3000

I'm "patiently" waiting and by that I mean I'll probably be checking everyday from here on out. Did you apply for any of their assistantships?

I did not apply.  Did you?  I'm hoping the send out decisions next week, but it might be another 3 weeks before we know anything.

I did not apply.  Did you?  I'm hoping the send out decisions next week, but it might be another 3 weeks before we know anything.

I did. I applied for one of the positions. I'll hear back before the second week of April (assuming I get in).

I understand that most programs don't have much aid/funding for MIS/MLIS degrees. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the school or department ever offers in-state tuition to out-of-state residents? I'm in at Chapel Hill and Urbana Champaign so far (hurry up, Washington!), and I'm really inclined to Chapel Hill. However, their out-of-state tuition is incredibly hefty - $27,000 per year. And does anyone have any experience with applying for in-state tuition in the second year of a program?

I understand that most programs don't have much aid/funding for MIS/MLIS degrees. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the school or department ever offers in-state tuition to out-of-state residents? I'm in at Chapel Hill and Urbana Champaign so far (hurry up, Washington!), and I'm really inclined to Chapel Hill. However, their out-of-state tuition is incredibly hefty - $27,000 per year. And does anyone have any experience with applying for in-state tuition in the second year of a program?

I don't have first hand experience but my husband is in the Phd program at UNC and went through this. His program asked that everyone apply for residency after their first year. He was told that as long as it appears that you are actually settling here (register you car and get an NC license when you move, change your mail, register to vote etc.) applying for residency is no problem. Also if you are married/have a family pretty much makes you a shoe-in. However, we still jumped all the hoops in our first couple weeks living here -- just to be on the safe side. I am not sure if there is a difference since that is a 5 year program and this is a 2 year program. SILS might have more information about how/if this even works.

I just got a not-great email from UBC. They sent me an email last week saying that they were recommending me for the dual MAS/MLIS program, but now the Graduate School has issues with my application and can't recommend it without more information. Hopefully what I sent them helps. To be fair, my transcript is really confusing because I completed my coursework in fits and starts due to chronic illness (not a problem now, had surgery). I thought I made it all very clear in my admissions essay, but I'm guessing that the Graduate School doesn't look over that quite as closely as the department. 

Hopefully everything works out, but if it doesn't, I still have UNC, UMD, and Iowa (haven't heard from Simmons, Drexel, or Arizona yet). 

Also, as a side note: has anyone else found email responses from Simmons to be a little...curt? I mean, I'm from Philly, so I'm used to people being less-than-cuddly, but jeez, I've felt pretty unwelcome since email #1! 

hey judithsmutler (love the name by the way!) I'm so sorry to hear about the follow-up by the UBC graduate school! I'm sure everything will go fine once you have explained the situation.

I don't have first hand experience but my husband is in the Phd program at UNC and went through this. His program asked that everyone apply for residency after their first year. He was told that as long as it appears that you are actually settling here (register you car and get an NC license when you move, change your mail, register to vote etc.) applying for residency is no problem. Also if you are married/have a family pretty much makes you a shoe-in. However, we still jumped all the hoops in our first couple weeks living here -- just to be on the safe side. I am not sure if there is a difference since that is a 5 year program and this is a 2 year program. SILS might have more information about how/if this even works.

If you're going for in-state residency, NC is the place to try to get it. They are fairly liberal about the whole policy. Illinois...not so much.

I got an email from IUPUI today that said "Hey, you forgot this part of your application!" when I wasn't required to submit it for Bloomington which has identical criteria. Luckily, it was something I couldn't physically provide them until last week or so when grades were announced at my study abroad institution. 

Waiting to hear about funding at Maryland. It's where I really, really want to go but I cannot do it without funding. But I was so so happy to get in!!

if anyone is waiting to hear from UNC, I got an email from the grad admissions co-ordinator that the committee is going to meet next week and will be deciding on admissions. I guess another week of waiting!

Just heard back from UW. I got into the online program not residential unfortunately. I'm kind of bummed, but I'm still happy I got in. I wonder if it's possible to transfer to residential after a year.

Yes, I've just heard back from UW as well -- I was accepted into their residential program for September.

Why do you suppose they let us know on a Saturday. It's very odd, no?

Just heard back from UW. I got into the online program not residential unfortunately. I'm kind of bummed, but I'm still happy I got in. I wonder if it's possible to transfer to residential after a year.

Congrats!  I was also admitted to the online program, but was hoping for the residential.  :(  I'll wait and see how funding opportunities go for the other schools and then make my final decision.

I just heard back from UW as well. I was accepted into the residential program... I put "residential only" on my application, so I wonder if that had any effect? Even though financial information hasn't come through yet, I'm pretty sure that's where I'll accept. Anyone else decided yet?

I also marked "residential only" on my application, so it possible this did have an effect.

While I'm happy I made it in, I'd like to go to UBC as the tuition will be much, much cheaper (4.5x) and I'm almost guaranteed to have some of that covered by a gov't low-income grant (I'm Canadian). The only problem is that I was recommended for the January intake at UBC, and didn't make it into the September intake.

I'm also very happy I made it into UW as it was my top choice school, and if money were no object, it's probably the one that I would attend.

Waiting four months to start is a small price to pay for a 4.5x discount if I attend UBC, but I'm very impatient!! :)

UW is my top choice too. I'm thinking of accepting and moving out to Seattle so I can take electives on campus and be able to participate in campus life. Does anyone know when we hear about funding?