Fall 2013

grover3000

Just now, I sent some feeler questions about late applications for UIUC.  I fell in love with the library there and spent a day with the Slavic collection last year.  I should have sent that application as well as the one I sent for the REEEC MA.  I know I can get almost or possibly all necessary documents by the end of the week if it turns out I'm able to apply.  Does anyone have experience with this - late applications and hoping for wiggle room?

I feel like such a terrible student suddenly, trying to hand in a late paper!  But I've noticed other library schools have some variation of a rolling admissions policy.  Or am I deluding myself?

All best,

K

I applied to Pratt, UMD & CUA (Catholic University in DC). My goal is to work in a cultural heritage institution in the Washington DC metro area.

I rushed the application process due to a death in the family, and had less than 6 weeks between choosing which programs to apply to & hitting the "submission" button.

I have never officially "applied" to college before, having started my undergrad career at my local community college & transferring to a state school with guaranteed acceptance, so I am more than a bit stressed about having to wait another couple of weeks to hear back from each of them.

Any tips to help pass the time, or stats to help allay my nears, would be more than welcome.

I ended up not applying to Pittsburgh because of time constraints, but just hit the last send button on my UMD application!

Now the waiting game begins...

Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone heard back yet? I'm waiting on hearing back from Urbana-Champaign and Chapel Hill, and since their deadlines were earlier, I was hoping to hear back soon. I also applied to University of Washington, but they said they wouldn't send out decisions until late March. My CUNY Queens application is all set, except it says they still haven't received my transcript. My top choice is Washington, but unless I get some kind of outstanding financial aid, I'll probably end up at CUNY Queens, as it's my only in-state option and it's substantially cheaper. This is assuming I get in enough places to have a choice between schools!

What streams did you end up deciding on madricka (if any)?

I decided on MI Library Science (and collaborative program in Book History & Print Culture). But I'm open to changing it if I become fascinated with another area. I met a few of the profs at Campus Day in October & their subjects were really cool too. Are you going to the Info Night tomorrow?

I decided on MI Library Science (and collaborative program in Book History & Print Culture). But I'm open to changing it if I become fascinated with another area. I met a few of the profs at Campus Day in October & their subjects were really cool too. Are you going to the Info Night tomorrow?

I would love to, but I'm 4 hours out of Toronto, and I have class tomorrow and Wednesday so I don't have time to travel down. If I had the money to fly I would, but I don't. 

Accepted into UCLA! Yay so excited. Still waiting for UNC. 

Congrats Nikki!  I was just accepted into UCLA as well...very excited!  Going to visit in early March.  Still waiting on Texas, Washington, and UBC but not a bad start.

Congrats Nikki!  I was just accepted into UCLA as well...very excited!  Going to visit in early March.  Still waiting on Texas, Washington, and UBC but not a bad start.

Thank you Grover! I hope you enjoy Los Angeles. Definitely not my favorite city, however Westwood is a nice college town and UCLA has such a beautiful campus and excellent libraries. So you may fall in love.

Hey guys,

I've been admitted at Indiana, Syracuse, and University of North Carolina.

Waiting to hear back from Illinois, U of Washington, Texas, and Mizzou.

Congrats on your acceptance! That's quite a selection. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Did UNC notify you by mail or e-mail? 

Did UNC notify you by mail or e-mail? 

UNC sends an email notification to check the online application system, which is where you'll find your admission decision. I got my acceptance from them on January 25, and I submitted my application shortly before the December 10 deadline. Depending upon when you submitted your application, I would imagine that you'll be hearing back from them relatively soon. 

Has anyone heard back from the University of Michigan yet? I've been accepted to UNC, University of Pittsburgh, and Kent State, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Michigan and Maryland. 

UNC sends an email notification to check the online application system, which is where you'll find your admission decision. I got my acceptance from them on January 25, and I submitted my application shortly before the December 10 deadline. Depending upon when you submitted your application, I would imagine that you'll be hearing back from them relatively soon. 

Has anyone heard back from the University of Michigan yet? I've been accepted to UNC, University of Pittsburgh, and Kent State, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Michigan and Maryland. 

I'm still waiting on Michigan too, though I've heard it's sometime between mid-February and mid-March and funding is not determined until March at earliest.  I'm obsessively checking though ^_^

Bluebros when did you hear from Pittsburgh?

I'm curious too.  I'm still waiting on Michigan and Pittsburgh as well...I'm not overly concerned at the moment because I submitted on the January 15 deadline but waiting drives me crazy.

I'm still waiting on Michigan too, though I've heard it's sometime between mid-February and mid-March and funding is not determined until March at earliest.  I'm obsessively checking though ^_^

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one obsessively checking. Of the programs I've applied to, I think Michigan is the one I'd most like to attend at this point. They seem like they really have their act together there. With some of these other programs, I never get responses to my emails, or if I do, it's days or even weeks after the fact. I figure that if they're not going to be particularly helpful on the way in, they're probably also not going to be very helpful on the way out (in terms of career guidance and professional development) since they will already have your money at that point.

I got accepted into Chapel Hill but am waiting on Pittsburgh. Bluebros when did you hear from Pittsburgh?

I actually got accepted to Pitt last year but deferred enrollment because there was no funding. It was the only school I applied to last year because I wanted to move back to that area (I'm originally from Western PA) after having spent the last several years away in graduate school. I went to meet with one of the professors there last April, and he basically told me that when the governor gutted the state's education budget, their funding took a big hit. He said if I had applied a year earlier, I would've had at least half-tuition funding. When I emailed their department secretary a month or two ago about something completely unrelated to funding, she told me that the Admissions Coordinator told her to emphasize to me that funding is in really short supply; so it doesn't sound like the situation has really improved during the intervening year. I'm not really holding out much hope of going there at this point. But for what it's worth, last year I was notified of my acceptance the first week of March (I think around March 5). I had submitted my application in about mid-December, shortly before Christmas. And then I heard back about funding (or rather, lack thereof) within the first couple days of April.

I'm curious too.  I'm still waiting on Michigan and Pittsburgh as well...I'm not overly concerned at the moment because I submitted on the January 15 deadline but waiting drives me crazy.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too concerned about not hearing back yet, particularly from Pitt, because as I mentioned, you probably won't hear from them until at least early March. I can totally relate to that feeling about waiting. I actually felt a lot better while I was in the process of applying than I do now. At least then I felt like I was doing everything I could to give myself the best shot at getting into programs and getting funding. Now that the applications are all in, I feel like I still need to be doing something to work proactively toward that goal, but I'm not sure what I can really do at this point. And the whole issue of just not knowing what my situation is going to be in the fall is giving me a lot of anxiety. I want to be able to plan ahead and get things in order ahead of time, but I won't be able to decide on a school until I hear about funding. And some of these schools wait until close to the decision deadline (or even after) to make funding decisions. For instance, Kent State told me they won't be making decisions about assistantships until April or May, but most schools expect you to accept or decline enrollment by mid-April. It's a very frustrating process.

Edited by bluebros

Oh my goodness, I just took a look at my application for UNC and of course, one of my professional references did not turn in my letter of rec. 

Looks like I'll be emailing them for it. :( 

I'm waiting for South Carolina. I've heard they notify around March which is infuriating considering I need to start looking for housing *now* at my top choice if South Carolina doesn't give me funding. :/

I should have heard back from IUPUI by now - they're 4 weeks after submission and I submitted mine months ago. Course the Indiana application system doesn't change once the decision's been made so there's no way to know until they mail something to my house and my parents call me. 

Bahumbug.

FWIW, still waiting on a decision from Texas.

Me too Grizz. Wonder when Texas will get back to us. App was due Dec 1st so I'd think it wouldnt be much longer but who knows. Guess I could just ask.

Me too Grizz. Wonder when Texas will get back to us. App was due Dec 1st so I'd think it wouldnt be much longer but who knows. Guess I could just ask.

I contacted a grad coordinator at Texas about when they would send out decisions. According to her we're gonna be notified by the end of March.