Fall 2013

grover3000

Hello! I was accepted into the residential UW program. I just wanted to say and see if I could find anyone else who got in. 

I was accepted to the UW residential program as well. That's where I'll be attending in the fall. Do you know if that's where you're going?

Is anyone else experiencing cold feet at the thought of taking on so much additional debt? While in general, I know it's easier to fund instate programs with concurrent employment, my instate option still looks like quite the financial burden. Between covering tuition and fees, supplies, purchasing a vehichle for travel (seems like a necessity with few public transit options and a required internship), living expenses, health insurance, and any extra purchases that may pop up, I think I may easily have to take out an additional 30k* in loans. Is anyone else facing a similar issue? How are you all dealing with the prospects of so-so job placement rates and the necessity of loans? Unfortunately I already have student loans from my undergrad so I'd like to limit the amount of grad loans I will need. Any thoughts?

* this is hopefully on the high-end. I'd like to do an accelerated track to finish the program in less time, and I anticipate working part-time to allievate some of my living expenses.

Edited by crackerjacktiming

You are expressing my exact sentiments. I haven't received any merit funding (will probably only get loans and work-study) and didn't get an assistantship on top of the fact that there aren't any instate programs in New Hampshire (I do qualify for instate a discounted rate at URI, but I don't want to go there...). I'm looking at 30K in debt for a degree, and I'm really wondering if I should be going into a Master's program if I can't get any merit aid.

I have applied for some outside scholarships, but they're not large scholarships.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Should I wait and reapply next year and hope for more aid?

I'm not eligible for in-state ANYWHERE unless I move, which is absolutely frustrating.

Is anyone else experiencing cold feet at the thought of taking on so much additional debt? While in general, I know it's easier to fund instate programs with concurrent employment, my instate option still looks like quite the financial burden. Between covering tuition and fees, supplies, purchasing a vehichle for travel (seems like a necessity with few public transit options and a required internship), living expenses, health insurance, and any extra purchases that may pop up, I think I may easily have to take out an additional 30k* in loans. Is anyone else facing a similar issue? How are you all dealing with the prospects of so-so job placement rates and the necessity of loans? Unfortunately I already have student loans from my undergrad so I'd like to limit the amount of grad loans I will need. Any thoughts?

* this is hopefully on the high-end. I'd like to do an accelerated track to finish the program in less time, and I anticipate working part-time to allievate some of my living expenses.

Edited by Alaina13

Yes, I accepted the offer. I'm really looking forward to it.

As for debt, I feel quite anxious about it but I've decided to go through with it. I was fortunate enough to receive a full ride for undergrad and I'll at least have instate tuition for UW. Simply thinking about the financial portion of this commitment is hair-raising. Still, I AM very excited to start.

I just wanted to point out that the Information School is a fee-based program and does not do instate/out-of-state. Or did they offer you instate tuition...?

I'm definitely getting nervous about debt. None of my options will be less than $30K per year in tuition alone if I were to go right now, which is why I'm thinking about deferring a year and moving to North Carolina so that I can get in-state tuition by my second year. I could probably live and work where I do right now and go to Drexel, but if I kept my full-time job, it would probably take me five or six years to graduate!

It's really frustrating that some of the programs that do have funding are unable to let you know until after you have to decide where you're going. I just can't commit to a school not knowing if I'll be able to pay for it.

After thinking long and hard over whether I want to do this, I've decided to accept at UW for the fall! I can always rescind my acceptance if I get my financial aid and feel that I can't afford to go, but we shall see!

I'm really excited :)

Thankfully, Maryland has been very upfront with me about the costs. I know how much it's going to be, and while I know it's going to be painful, I know what it is. They've also been great about letting me know that while the iSchool doesn't have assistanceships, the University-wide ones will be up shortly.

Maryland for me! So, incredibly excited! Now if my undergrad institution and I could work this snaffu with credits out...

Have you heard anything about funding yet, Grizbert?

I received notice of my need-based aid offer today from UT. 

I received a significant aid award comprised mainly of federal loans, plus $1500 in grants per semester, half from the State of Texas and half from UT. 

No word yet on iSchool scholarships or fellowships.

The deadline to accept the offer is April 29, and it's making me nervous (I already have significant debt from undergrad and an MA in English, from the UK).  Depending on what kind of total aid package I get, I may go full- or part-time, or even rescind my acceptance.  I am not prepared to take on another significant hunk of debt for an MSIS degree.

However, the total loan award would probably be sufficient for me to continue paying my existing loans while enrolled, as well allowing me to save some money.  I need to talk to my partner and do some calculations.

I still really hope I'm a full time student in the fall!

Did the Library Science program at UNC-Chapel Hill communicate with you if you were admitted? Unlike all of the programs I was admitted to, I never heard any information about how to proceed. Furthermore, does anyone know when they will make decisions about departmental funding? Thank you.

Edited by Charlotte S Smith

Did the Library Science program at UNC-Chapel Hill communicate with you if you were admitted? Unlike all of the programs I was admitted to, I never heard any information about how to proceed. Furthermore, does anyone know when they will make decisions about departmentmental funding? Thank you.

The only stuff I have heard is because I pester them. I am kind of frustrated with the lack of clear communication. I keep getting vague answers about funding. 

I accepted at UIUC. I have been living and working in Urbana since last summer. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the area for those of you considering the program.

Hi, Congratulations about UIUC. I was accepted to the library science program also. I was wondering if you could suggest places to live in the Champaign-Urbana area. I'm looking for very quiet and safe neighborhoods. What do you think about living in a graduate dorm or an apartment on the campus? Would it be best to live in Champaign, Urbana, or a smaller town further away? Thank you very much!

Edited by Charlotte S Smith

Hi, Congratulations about UIUC. I was accepted to the library science program also. I was wondering if you could suggest places to live in the Champaign-Urbana area. I'm looking for very quiet and safe neighborhoods. What do you think about living in a graduate dorm or an apartment on the campus? Would it be best to live in Champaign, Urbana, or a smaller town further away? Thank you very much!

Hi Charlotte. I live in Urbana. It seems to be quieter than Champaign, and I have never felt unsafe here. Many graduate students live in Urbana and it is easy to get to campus by foot, bike, or the bus system (students can ride for free with their U of I ID). Most of what is available in Urbana are houses separated into different apartments. There are also several apartment complexes in the area. I rent a duplex in Urbana. It takes about ten minutes to bike to campus and less than five to walk to my work at the public library.

You could probably find a nice place to live in Champaign as well, but I have heard several grad students say that they lived in Champaign at the beginning of their time at UIUC and eventually moved to Urbana, either because of noise/undergrad population or because they could find more space for less money in Urbana. I found my place on craigslist before I had even been to Urbana and (miraculously) it has worked out just fine.

As for smaller towns outside of Urbana-Champaign, I know one student who lives in a nearby town. I think you could possibly save money on rent, but you would have to have a car and the parking passes for campus are pretty expensive.

I would also check out the City Guide forum on Grad Cafe and the forum on city-data.com for more info about good realty companies vs. which ones to avoid. If you have any more specific questions you can PM me. See you in the fall!

Hi Charlotte. I live in Urbana. It seems to be quieter than Champaign, and I have never felt unsafe here. Many graduate students live in Urbana and it is easy to get to campus by foot, bike, or the bus system (students can ride for free with their U of I ID). Most of what is available in Urbana are houses separated into different apartments. There are also several apartment complexes in the area. I rent a duplex in Urbana. It takes about ten minutes to bike to campus and less than five to walk to my work at the public library.

You could probably find a nice place to live in Champaign as well, but I have heard several grad students say that they lived in Champaign at the beginning of their time at UIUC and eventually moved to Urbana, either because of noise/undergrad population or because they could find more space for less money in Urbana. I found my place on craigslist before I had even been to Urbana and (miraculously) it has worked out just fine.

As for smaller towns outside of Urbana-Champaign, I know one student who lives in a nearby town. I think you could possibly save money on rent, but you would have to have a car and the parking passes for campus are pretty expensive.

I would also check out the City Guide forum on Grad Cafe and the forum on city-data.com for more info about good realty companies vs. which ones to avoid. If you have any more specific questions you can PM me. See you in the fall!

Hi Sir Frankie Crisp,

Thank you very much for the helpful information. You helped tremendously and Urbana looks like it would be a great choice. I truly appreciate the help and I will see you in the fall.  Thank you again. --Charlotte

hey everyone,

I realised that I forgot to post an update... I've decided to accept the offer of admission from UBC. Even though I have been waitlisted for Sept 2013 (but fully accepted for Jan 2014), I just couldn't justify leaving Canada for somewhere with such high tuition.

I even visited University of Washington and they were so, so nice to me! It was my top choice school but they offered me zero funding (except ridiculously high interest loans that would start accruing interest while I was still in school!!! no thank you!). The cost of tuition at UW would have been 4.5x that of UBC. That said, I'm soo excited about UBC's program, too!

University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) has still not let me know whether or not I was accepted to their program?! They have the worst application process I have ever seen and I've stopped emailing them to ask them what's what and if they need any missing materials from me. They have totally and completely dropped the ball. Has anyone else had this experience with them? Is this a thing, for a university to just flat-out not let you know? I'm wondering at what point I should email them and say "if you aren't going to let me know whether or not I got in... can I have my application fee back?" 

Anyway! Glad to hear about everyone else's acceptances and plans! Cheers.

hey everyone,

I realised that I forgot to post an update... I've decided to accept the offer of admission from UBC. Even though I have been waitlisted for Sept 2013 (but fully accepted for Jan 2014), I just couldn't justify leaving Canada for somewhere with such high tuition.

I even visited University of Washington and they were so, so nice to me! It was my top choice school but they offered me zero funding (except ridiculously high interest loans that would start accruing interest while I was still in school!!! no thank you!). The cost of tuition at UW would have been 4.5x that of UBC. That said, I'm soo excited about UBC's program, too!

University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) has still not let me know whether or not I was accepted to their program?! They have the worst application process I have ever seen and I've stopped emailing them to ask them what's what and if they need any missing materials from me. They have totally and completely dropped the ball. Has anyone else had this experience with them? Is this a thing, for a university to just flat-out not let you know? I'm wondering at what point I should email them and say "if you aren't going to let me know whether or not I got in... can I have my application fee back?" 

Anyway! Glad to hear about everyone else's acceptances and plans! Cheers.

I had a very different experience with UW-Milwaukee and have decided to attend their program. Instead of emailing them you should definately call them to see what is going on.

Congratulations to everyone on their various acceptances!

I was admitted to McGill, the UofT, and the UofManitoba. Now comes the decision time...which I technically should have made several weeks ago...