Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I know I'm going to regret this... there's an app??

Just found an Android app called "Whogotin: Grad School."  I may have to download just to give myself something else to obsessively check 20 times a day! :)

One of my schools finally uploaded my GRE scores to their system. This score was sent over 2 months ago. ETS showed it received back in November. The deadline for the school was right at a month ago. Greeeat. 

I emailed the AA of a program to ask about a timeframe, and the reply was along the lines of "most people will learn by April 15th; some before, some after. Sorry I can't be more specific. "

I suppose it's better than no answer?!

I am totally losing my mind.

I created an account on here to feel less alone in that sense. :)

All I know is that nothing makes me more excited than thinking about an acceptance letter from one of the schools I applied to.

I'm not good at any games, especially the waiting game.

Yep - two of my emails have gone unanswered for up to 5 days now. I was worried that since I used a gmail address it might have been thrown in spam boxes, but then ONE got answered. 

Typically how long is it taking for any of you to get responses to email inquiries?

Typically how long is it taking for any of you to get responses to email inquiries?

I'm going on two weeks for one, but one I sent through the application system's message center, and that was answered within the hour. Maybe try that?

I emailed the AA of a program to ask about a timeframe, and the reply was along the lines of "most people will learn by April 15th; some before, some after. Sorry I can't be more specific. "

Awesome. Translation: "Most people will learn about it before they find the end of time and space. A few will be happy. More won't. The sky is also blue, up is above you, water is wet, and all things are relative. Thank you and have a nice life."

(Can't blame 'em though. If I were running these admissions that would be my email auto-reply... on a nice day.)

Rock bottom is going to magic 8 ball websites and asking if you will get into grad school... and when they say no, you keep trying other websites until you get a yes.  Not that I did this or anything...  :ph34r: 

I'm glad I'm not the only who has done this. :rolleyes:

I just went to a new level of losing my mind! Not only do graduate programs receive a ton of applications making the process very competitive (we all know this), but depending on how many people apply to work with the same POI, the process could be even more competitive (I am sure some of you knew this as well). I just spoke with a former colleague of mine who works in the Psychology department at the University where I work and of the applications the department received, 65 applications were from people that want to work with her. She said they are ALL amazing and she is having a very hard time making a decision. So, no longer am I just worried about the 600+ applications that are received by my top program and the 6% of applicants that get accepted, I am now driving myself crazy thinking about how many people may have possibly applied to work with "my" POI.

Aside from the losing my mind aspect, this conversation reminds me that sometimes graduate school admission boils down to "luck" "good fortune" "blessing" or whatever you prefer to call it. As this professor has 65 qualified applicants and she can only pick one person. 

Edited by EW33

I just went to a new level of losing my mind! Not only do graduate programs receive a ton of applications making the process very competitive (we all know this), but depending on how many people apply to work with the same POI, the process could be even more competitive (I am sure some of you knew this as well). I just spoke with a former colleague of mine who works in the Psychology department at the University where I work and of the applications the department received, 65 applications were from people that want to work with her. She said they are ALL amazing and she is having a very hard time making a decision. So, no longer am I just worried about the 600+ applications that are received by my top program and the 6% of applicants that get accepted, I am now driving myself crazy thinking about how many people may have possibly applied to work with "my" POI.

Aside from the losing my mind aspect, this conversation reminds me that sometimes graduate school admission boils down to "luck" "good fortunate" "blessing" or whatever you prefer to call it. As this professor has 65 qualified applicants and she can only pick one person. 

Ha ha!  Wow, that is truly a terrifying thought! :o

I remember speaking with my POI at one of my top choice schools back in October.  They told me then to keep in mind that, of the 400 applications the program receives, 30-40 would be for my subfield alone...and they could only accept maybe 3 people.  So that was nice to hear...and begin obsessing about!  Heh!

I remember speaking with my POI at one of my top choice schools back in October.  They told me then to keep in mind that, of the 400 applications the program receives, 30-40 would be for my subfield alone...and they could only accept maybe 3 people.  So that was nice to hear...and begin obsessing about!  Heh!

Yikes! I think you just gave me something else to obsess about *Pulls up new window on my computer to see if I can figure out how many people typically apply to my particular subfield*

I heard essentially the same thing last November. Freaked me out a bit. 

And of course, the number probably varies greatly depending on what school you're looking at and how strong that particular subfield is at that school. I assume that even a lower tiered school with one or two huge names in a particular subfield might get swamped with applications (in that particular subfield).