Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Congrats to everyone who got interviews, that's awesome! One step closer to acceptance :)

Well spotted, I am. I also have a MA from an American university. I just can't help but think that if it ends up being a decision between myself and an American, with essentially the same merits, they'd go for the American applicant because they think he/she is a safer bet. 

And I approve of your fascination with Sweden! Couldn't have picked a better country  :lol:

But if you have an MA from an American uni, wouldn't they treat you the same as American students? I mean, you were obviousy competent enough to get it. :)

I'm international. I have this notion that because I am -- my unis -- particularly Berkeley, my first choice -- will not take me. I am drinking wine. I am also reading Gertrude Stein. A year of non-acceptance means more work at this stupid place for me. I am considering my choices -- places to reapply to -- already.

edit: and my degree is not from an american university, obviously showing how incompetent I am :rolleyes: or so I think ad coms will think.

Edited by t1racyjacks

I'm international. I have this notion that because I am -- my unis -- particularly Berkeley, my first choice -- will not take me. I am drinking wine. I am also reading Gertrude Stein. A year of non-acceptance means more work at this stupid place for me. I am considering my choices -- places to reapply to -- already.

edit: and my degree is not from an american university, obviously showing how incompetent I am :rolleyes: or so I think ad coms will think.

A fellow Singaporean!

Same here, international, and considering schools to apply to in the fall. University so unknown that I had to choose "other" in all of my online applications. How fun.

Saw your signature. Alberta, Canada? How come? :)

A fellow Singaporean!

International too, in fact your neighbor country :)

Being an international applicant does have its disadvantage, especially in phd program which you will be funded (extra tuition fee), and also having a degree from a university outside of the states, harder for them to judge your qualifications since they are not familiar with the education in whatever country you are from.

And the schools you guys applying too are top schools, best of luck!

Edited by zs3889

and also having a degree from a university outside of the states, harder for them to judge your qualifications since they are not familiar with the education from whatever country you are from.

Oh yeah, I feel that way even though I did my undergrad in a pretty well-known UK uni.

Thanks alot, aprreciate that. Just general questions, what's the school like? in terms of admission standards and all; my GRE isn't great. good luck with your interview ;)

It varies department to department- I'm over in East Asian Studies, not Econ, so I can't say for that department.  They only look at the GRE for scholarship considerations, since there are some university-wide ones that compare with the GRE.  That won't stop your department for awarding money though; my GREs aren't great either, but I got full funding for my MA, including tuition and a living stipend.  I really like the university as a whole; there is a huge international community here, and the on-campus housing is decent. (I live in the Graduate Residence, just built 2 and a half years ago.)  Edmonton isn't a bad place to live.  Really freaking cold, but the campus is built in such a way that you can easily cut through buildings to get to classes.  Plus there's West Edmonton Mall, which is the largest mall in NA.  And you get a UPass, which gives you unlimited rides on all public transit in the city, so you don't need a car.  Not sure what else to say, I like it. ^^;

I just woke up from a nap to start obsessivly checking my email again.  Imagine my hopes when I saw a couple of "Br" words in the subject line.  It must be Brandeis is getting back to me, right?  Nope.  Recipe for Braised Brussell sprouts.  Cruel, I tell you. Too cruel!

International too, in fact your neighbor country :)

Being an international applicant does have its disadvantage, especially in phd program which you will be funded (extra tuition fee), and also having a degree from a university outside of the states, harder for them to judge your qualifications since they are not familiar with the education in whatever country you are from.

And the schools you guys applying too are top schools, best of luck!

Hey people! good to know you guys are about. ^_^

I know all this, which makes me even more morose than usual. :( well, at least my school is not unknown (listed in the app forms) but I dunno :unsure: I don't have much faith in Americans knowing things outside of America -- sorry but it does seem to be the case that they're... insular. I think the listing is generally more for show.

Alberta is more of a backup tbh. Because Berk, UT Austin -- particularly -- are very difficult to get into (Berk admissions rate for english = 4%). BU isn't that easy either....... :unsure:

Good luck, PhDreams, and let us know how it goes!

None of my schools give out much information about when they'll meet/make decisions, so I just check every day... multiple times a day.  :rolleyes:

Awwwwwwwww..... everyone here is soooo sweet. Thanks!!! I'm rooting for all of you. And I'm secretely checking all of my apps too even though I know that they wont notify until next month. LOL

Mine, too!  Best of luck to you, PhDreams!  We can do this! :D

Yes, we can!!!! <3 Aww... Seeing your giant Nutella every day makes me smile. Can't wait til you get your great news. Saving up my happy dances. LOL

My flatmates are going to think me insane but I will definitely be doing happy dances for all of you guys as the decisions roll in. It'll be my exercise for a month or so, right? ;)

I planned a trip to Malta for the first week of my three weeks of Spring Break as an excuse to have fun, relax and see a new country. My plan was to finish my senior thesis beforehand so I could purely focus on the experience.

But now I'm realizing a few of my universities' funding answers come out the end of March, early April. Does Malta have good wifi on the beaches?

We are all insane and I love that we're all insane together.

Hello everyone!

International here as well. :D

My POI asked me to send my transcripts (copy or original, "what ever you have with you") ALTHOUGH I have already uploaded the official translation.

Dunno what it means. But for the time being I haven't been rejected, right?