Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

Hey, nibblingsushi, are you in Boston right now? I've run into several gradcafe people here. I'm rooming with naabh4 actually. He's a super cool guy :)

Hey! I met ak1921 and neuroendocrinology too! They are awesome! :)

@FutureNeuroGrad, I had a similar experience - talked to a PI at a Neuro event who was recruiting for his school, the PI seemed excited about getting me to go to that school and maybe work in his lab, even went down to visit and see his lab before applications were in.  Got a straight-out rejection, no interview.  It was weird - I suppose I could have been fooling myself about how much the PI wanted me to attend their program, but I think it's more likely that I just had an unfortunate "draw" in the application process for that school.  Maybe another professor reviewed my app and didn't like it so much; maybe I didn't quite squeeze into a GPA / GRE cutoff (although I think my scores / GPA are pretty competitive).  Very glad I have some other interviews though, I loved OSU when I visited last week and I'm anxiously waiting to see if I get an admit from there.  

I was rejected from UC Davis! After talking to a PI since August! The PI contacted me initially too!! I'm pretty surprised and a little annoyed. They said they had over 200 applicants for 26 interview spots.

I'm so sorry! That really sucks. At least you have some good interviews on your plate! When do you start your interviews?

Is anyone interviewing at Emory next weekend? I'd love to hear how it goes. I'm attending their second interview weekend in a couple weeks.

Good luck everyone!

On 1/26/2013 at 11:34 AM, HopefullyNeuro said:

how was it? did they mention anything about chances of acceptance after the interview?

im leaving thursday and havent gotten any info except my flight, just not sure what to expect . 

Hey, I felt that WUSTL neuroscience group is really nice overall.. I got my interview schedule on wednesday (last week) and so, I'm expecting that you'll get yours this wednesday.

None of the interviewers expect you to be thorough with their line of research. As long as you are comfortable explaining your past research experiences and career goals, it was totally fine.

From what I understand, they have around 25 people during each of their interview weekends and I'm assuming that they will send offers to around 30 of the 50 people. The class size is around 13-15. I was also told that they do not send offers/rejections to anyone from the first interview weekend, till they are done with the second set of people as well. So, yeah, all of us who interviewed during the first weekend do not hold any kind of advantage over you guys :).

On 1/26/2013 at 2:30 PM, naabh4 said:

Hey, I felt that WUSTL neuroscience group is really nice overall.. I got my interview schedule on wednesday (last week) and so, I'm expecting that you'll get yours this wednesday.

None of the interviewers expect you to be thorough with their line of research. As long as you are comfortable explaining your past research experiences and career goals, it was totally fine.

From what I understand, they have around 25 people during each of their interview weekends and I'm assuming that they will send offers to around 30 of the 50 people. The class size is around 13-15. I was also told that they do not send offers/rejections to anyone from the first interview weekend, till they are done with the second set of people as well. So, yeah, all of us who interviewed during the first weekend do not hold any kind of advantage over you guys :).

thanks so much for the information on WUSTL!

Back from my second interview.  Needless to say, I am exhausted.  But the program was so great.  They really sold me on the importance of interdisciplinary study.  

I had four interviews.  The first was a little shaky, but I think they all turned out alright... Guess we'll see.  Apparently they will notify us on Monday one way or the other!

Also, a note on wardrobe: almost everybody wore a suit, regardless of gender.  This wasn't true at my first interview, but that's because that program sent us an email specifically telling us not to wear suits.  

@FutureNeuroGrad, I had a similar experience - talked to a PI at a Neuro event who was recruiting for his school, the PI seemed excited about getting me to go to that school and maybe work in his lab, even went down to visit and see his lab before applications were in.  Got a straight-out rejection, no interview.  It was weird - I suppose I could have been fooling myself about how much the PI wanted me to attend their program, but I think it's more likely that I just had an unfortunate "draw" in the application process for that school.  Maybe another professor reviewed my app and didn't like it so much; maybe I didn't quite squeeze into a GPA / GRE cutoff (although I think my scores / GPA are pretty competitive).  Very glad I have some other interviews though, I loved OSU when I visited last week and I'm anxiously waiting to see if I get an admit from there.  

Glad to know I'm not the only one to have had such an experience! I'm sure everything happens for a reason. I had spoken to this particular PI over the phone (wasn't able to visit) for over 2 hours and didn't feel like we meshed-actually I didn't feel like I was able to get two words in the entire "conversation". So I'm not too dissapointed. I am a strong believer it's not just about the program-you have to find a PI who fits too. I hope you get admitted to OSU!!!

Hey! I met ak1921 and neuroendocrinology too! They are awesome! :)

I should have thought to figure out who all of you were, I think I have a good idea (I have the baby picture in the interview group...).

Hopefully we will know within two weeks

The neurobiology program at the University of Chicago has this posted on their site:

"Campus visits and interviews are not required. Contact the department for more information."

"Admissions decisions are emailed in early March. No decisions will be given by phone or email."

Anyone got any information on this? Or heard anything back from Chicago yet? I guess I wrongfully assumed that all programs do interviews

I should have thought to figure out who all of you were, I think I have a good idea (I have the baby picture in the interview group...).

Hopefully we will know within two weeks

We will know by this Friday, according to Karen (if not Friday, then early next week).

And it was a pleasure meeting some of you guys at Boston! 

Edited by nibblingsushi

Does anybody have any news about either MIT BCS, Caltech CNS, Princeton Neuroscience or Brown Neuroscience interview invites? :S

I'm literally losing my mind waiting..

If anybody is still waiting to hear from Northwestern or Vanderbilt NGP, I called both programs today.

Northwestern said they had sent out their invites/rejections, but there are a handful of people that are still under review and they will hear by the end of the week.

Vanderbilt just said that they are still reviewing applications, and didn't give a time frame of when we should hear back.

The neurobiology program at the University of Chicago has this posted on their site:

"Campus visits and interviews are not required. Contact the department for more information."

"Admissions decisions are emailed in early March. No decisions will be given by phone or email."

Anyone got any information on this? Or heard anything back from Chicago yet? I guess I wrongfully assumed that all programs do interviews

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I was told by one of the staff at UChicago that they are doing interviews the second week in Febuary.

If anybody is still waiting to hear from Northwestern or Vanderbilt NGP, I called both programs today.

Northwestern said they had sent out their invites/rejections, but there are a handful of people that are still under review and they will hear by the end of the week.

Vanderbilt just said that they are still reviewing applications, and didn't give a time frame of when we should hear back.

Thanks for the info about Vanderbilt's NGP, @toyingwithathought! I had given up hope for any good news from them weeks ago, but perhaps there's still a chance!

Does anyone have any insight on when BU will be notifying about interviews?  It seems like they're really dragging it out this year!

I got this email from BU a few days ago but haven't heard anything yet about the phone interview:

We are contacting you on behalf of Boston University's Graduate Program for Neuroscience. We were impressed by your application; your training and academic record place you among our top candidates for the Computational Neuroscience PhD program. You will be contacted by a BU faculty member soon for a phone conversation to discuss your interests and field any questions you may have about the program. Soon after that, we will be sending our very top prospects invitations to our March 4-5 open house / interview days.

Please let us know if you have any questions at this time.