Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

Has anyone heard back from UCSD regarding travel arrangements? I completed the survey on Monday and haven't heard anything from them yet. I wonder if we are booking and then being reimbursed, or if they are booking the plane tickets for us.

Has anyone heard back from UCSD regarding travel arrangements? I completed the survey on Monday and haven't heard anything from them yet. I wonder if we are booking and then being reimbursed, or if they are booking the plane tickets for us.

In my experience so far, California schools typically book the tickets for us. 

I spoke with the graduate recruiting coordinator at MSU and asked if I could reschedule my interview as it conflicts with UT Austin's interview dates. I was told not at this time but they may possibly reschedule later. Bummer!!!

That seems like an odd answer, that they may possibly reschedule later. Hopefully they will. I feel like some schools act like no one has ever asked to reschedule before, which I'm sure isn't true. Have you asked UT Austin about an alternate interview date instead?

That seems like an odd answer, that they may possibly reschedule later. Hopefully they will. I feel like some schools act like no one has ever asked to reschedule before, which I'm sure isn't true. Have you asked UT Austin about an alternate interview date instead?

I haven't asked UT Austin because I saw a previous post where someone stated that Austin would not reschedule with them. My plane ticket has already been purchased by UT Austin and they booked the room already too. Do you think I should ask them?

I haven't asked UT Austin because I saw a previous post where someone stated that Austin would not reschedule with them. My plane ticket has already been purchased by UT Austin and they booked the room already too. Do you think I should ask them?

I don't have any experience with it, but it sounds like at this point (if they have a reputation of being inflexible plus travel being booked) only ask if you're willing to give up a chance at UT Austin for one at MSU. It's terrible they overlap like that. Hopefully MSU will come through with a reschedule!

I'll be arrive at around 4:30pm, and will be attending the dinner as well.

Has UPenn emailed you your list of interviewers yet? 

Yeah, my faculty choice interviewers are Joel Mainland and Yale Cohen.  I read an article on interviews a few weeks ago and thought I remembered that they were usually 20 minutes each-- these 45 min interviews seem long.  My name is Sean by the way.  See you tomorrow!

Yeah, my faculty choice interviewers are Joel Mainland and Yale Cohen.  I read an article on interviews a few weeks ago and thought I remembered that they were usually 20 minutes each-- these 45 min interviews seem long.  My name is Sean by the way.  See you tomorrow!

@mccamel, I am also going to Penn interview, but the second session (Feb 8th). I recently submitted about 7 professors, but it seems you get to interview only two of them? Were they in the top of your priority list?

Can anyone help me arrange transportation for the interview?

I'm doing it through school's travel agency and they recommend me to take a train rather than a flight.

I've never taken a train in the US and have no idea what I should choose :(

Edited by ak1921

@mccamel, I am also going to Penn interview, but the second session (Feb 8th). I recently submitted about 7 professors, but it seems you get to interview only two of them? Were they in the top of your priority list?

@RyanCho They gave us two 45-min faculty choice interviews and three 30-min interviews with admissions committee members.  Some of your chosen faculty may be on the admissions committee though, so you may end up talking to than two of the seven people on your list.  I ended up with my #1, #3, and #4-- the other adcom members I'm talking to were not on my list.

I sent UCSD an email and this is what they sent me...Does this mean I am in the waiting list?

The admissions committee sent invitations for interview this week for their first cut.  They might be pulling applicants from their alternate list if some of the invites in the first round do not accept an invitation to interview.  You should hear something (via e-mail) in the next few weeks if you are invited or not.

I sent UCSD an email and this is what they sent me...Does this mean I am in the waiting list?

The admissions committee sent invitations for interview this week for their first cut.  They might be pulling applicants from their alternate list if some of the invites in the first round do not accept an invitation to interview.  You should hear something (via e-mail) in the next few weeks if you are invited or not.

Sounds like you're on their alternate list.  It seems like people who aren't on the list would just be told they were not going to be offered an interview.  There is still hope!

Amtrack northeast regional is cheaper, pretty comfortable, you can carry on more bags, and you dont need to show up hours earlier. Its pretty simple.

What if you don't consider the money?  (because it's going to be paid by the school...)

Still better to go with Amtrack?

What if you don't consider the money?  (because it's going to be paid by the school...)

Still better to go with Amtrack?

I would definitely recommend Amtrak.  The trians will probably be running more often than flights giving you more options to travel.  Baltimore's airport is a half hour cab ride (or train ride) from the city while the train station (penn station) is directly in the middle of the city with cheap or free transportation to most places you would need to get.  You also don't have to deal with security lines and restrictions on liquids, delays, and getting to the airport early.

I emailed them as well and got the exact response verbatim. I would love to know if its the message they send to everyone or if it actually means something. I'm guessing it's the first but really, really wish it was the latter.