Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

For those who are still waiting for MIT BCS, I emailed the coordinator.

He said they are still inviting applicants, and the time of notification depends on who is reviewing your applications, rather than "priority lists". Therefore, interview invites will continue for next couple of weeks. He also said that they received over 500 applications (!!) and 40% of them are internationals. Domestic and foreign applicants are reviewed as equal, and there is no set number of invitations in either case.

So let's keep waiting!

I am an international student and applied to Columbia. I didn't receive any response, emailed the coordinator, and they responded that all invitations are sent out, I am not granted the position for interview. They say they invited very few internationals, due to funding issues. 

Sad :(

For those who are still waiting for MIT BCS, I emailed the coordinator.

He said they are still inviting applicants, and the time of notification depends on who is reviewing your applications, rather than "priority lists". Therefore, interview invites will continue for next couple of weeks. He also said that they received over 500 applications (!!) and 40% of them are internationals. Domestic and foreign applicants are reviewed as equal, and there is no set number of invitations in either case.

So let's keep waiting!

Hey,

Thanks for posting this! I had emailed the BCS Coordinator too (Robert Cummings?), and he told me that to the best of his knowledge, all the applications to the program I applied to (Although there were 3 preferences - Cell and molecular, systems, and cognitive; so I'm not sure which he means) have been reviewed and invitations sent out. HOWEVER, he said that no final decision is taken till March, so I should wait (which doesn't make sense at all). So I don't know, I'm assuming it to be a rejection.

I had also emailed Columbia about my status, who sent me a rejection too. :(

Any idea about the U Penn interview emails which were supposed to be sent in early Jan. Does anyone know if they've all been sent? (One of the last programs left that I haven't received a rejection from).

Being an international applicant sucks. :-/

@LMac, I think you crossed out UCSD from your list by mistake. You really scared me :wacko:

Does anyone know when UCSD would be sending out the offers?

Yikes, I totally did. Sorry for the false alarm!

Awesome! Congrats! Hope that you hear back from them soon :)

Thanks! I am still waiting for the email about Skype interview.... I wonder if it would be appropriate to email her myself to ask?

By the way, has anyone inquired about whether UPenn is done with their interview invites?

Thanks! I am still waiting for the email about Skype interview.... I wonder if it would be appropriate to email her myself to ask?

By the way, has anyone inquired about whether UPenn is done with their interview invites?

I think you should. If you are really polite, it shouldn't do any harm!

I just received from chair of NGG group at Penn that I was invited for an interview (Feb 8th). I know many of you are invited, so hopefully see you there soon. For those waiting for Penn, keep your fingers crossed..!

Hey,

Thanks for posting this! I had emailed the BCS Coordinator too (Robert Cummings?), and he told me that to the best of his knowledge, all the applications to the program I applied to (Although there were 3 preferences - Cell and molecular, systems, and cognitive; so I'm not sure which he means) have been reviewed and invitations sent out. HOWEVER, he said that no final decision is taken till March, so I should wait (which doesn't make sense at all). So I don't know, I'm assuming it to be a rejection.

I had also emailed Columbia about my status, who sent me a rejection too. :(

Any idea about the U Penn interview emails which were supposed to be sent in early Jan. Does anyone know if they've all been sent? (One of the last programs left that I haven't received a rejection from).

Being an international applicant sucks. :-/

Hey brainmaze,

When did you hear from Bob (Cummings) ? I got his email yesterday, and I specifically asked if all the invitations are sent out.

I am ctrl+c and ctrl+v his email. I applied to systems track, and the answers to you and me seem to conflict with each other..I have no idea what's happening.

-------------------------------------------

Hello Ryan,

Your application is currently under review, invitations will continue to be sent over the next couple weeks.  We do not have a set number of invitations expected to go out.  This year we received over 500 applications and approximately 40% were international applicants.  Domestic and International applications are reviewed as equal so there is no set number of invitations in either case.

Best of luck,

Robert R. Cummings

Graduate Program Assistant

Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences

MIT Building 46-2005

77 Massachusetts Avenue

Cambridge MA 02139

p: 617-253-5742

e: robertrc@mit.edu

--------------------------------------------

As a side note, I followed up his mail and sent another email asking about funding for international students. This was his response.

Funding for international students is limited but funding alone is not taken into consideration during the review process.  Applications are evaluated based of academic credentials.  In any given year we enroll between 10-20 students, international students often make up a smaller percentage, but this is due to the smaller number of international students who apply.  At present, approximately 20% of our entire graduate student population is international.

I just received from chair of NGG group at Penn that I was invited for an interview (Feb 8th). I know many of you are invited, so hopefully see you there soon. For those waiting for Penn, keep your fingers crossed..!

I also receive the rejection letter from WUSTL this morning. That's too bad.....(┳_┳)

Unless I'm mistaken, last year UCSD sent invites the Wednesday after the holiday. If that holds true, that would be tomorrow (eek!). It's my top  choice and a serious long shot.

I just received it too!

@neuroendocrinology, congratulations, it seems you are nailing interviews in all schools you applied to. Hope to see you in Penn soon!